Theory on Murray

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all wondered when Murray might be returning. Consensus seems to be 9 months to a year rehab for his injury.

Let’s not forget Murray didn’t have the surgery until January. If his recovery is a year would mean he will not play in 2023.

Do you really think he would come back a day to soon for a team that’s 2-8 should he be healthy after 10 months? I say it is highly unlikely.

I have a feeling we may never see Murray in a Cardinal uniform again. Even more so should the Texans really suck and gifting us a top 5 pick. Add that to what Kyler might get us in a trade in players and or picks.

It just seems awfully strange to suddenly pick up a QB who “ will compete” for the starting job 4 days before the last preseason game.

There’s something in the air my friends.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't throw him out there until his knee is 100%

Can't trust this Oline to protect him from jail breaks and risk injury

Learning to move in the pocket to avoid the rush will help him and keep him from running so often

Learn to read the D and make the hot throws when needed

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Murray's cap hit if they trade him prior to the 2024 season is 46 million

If he's doing everything he needs to do, including playing at a high level, why would you dump him?

He's not Simmons. He's not Jones.

Why would we take a 46 million dollar cap hit and replace him with a C.J. Stroud level player out of college?

What if we dump Murray, and try to draft that drama machine Caleb Williams and he tells ARZ to go ^^^^ themselves, he'll stay at USC another year?

What's the plan then?

Fire Clayton Tune out there and hope for the best? Lol..

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Kyler has his warts but he is far and away our best QB. His contract becomes less of an issue with each new contract and salary cap. He is a gym rat, give the man a chance. He has some serious skills. Just 1 year of his highlights:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please understand I’m not advocating dumping or trading Murray. Maybe the staff realizes that realistically Murray will not play this year. I’m not sure they ever believed that until maybe just now, this picking up Dobbs.

Maybe they don’t want to come out and say it in fear of losing more interest in the team.

Trading him would have to get us a HUGE return…. And I mean HUGE.

Either way, something is a little of kilter here.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said months ago in free agency he might not play this season. Or, if he did, it would be the last 4 to 6 games.

This team, that offensive line specifically, is going to be horrific. What good does it do to throw him out there to throw to a substandard WR group with an oline that is going to force all QBs who play for us this year (I predict a minimum of 4, maybe as many as 7 or 8) to take a beating? It's unhelpful for next season for Murray as either a starter or as trade bait.

Josh Dobbs? Pfft...... Please.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Murray's cap hit if they trade him prior to the 2024 season is 46 million

If he's doing everything he needs to do, including playing at a high level, why would you dump him?

He's not Simmons. He's not Jones.

Why would we take a 46 million dollar cap hit and replace him with a C.J. Stroud level player out of college?

What if we dump Murray, and try to draft that drama machine Caleb Williams and he tells ARZ to go ^^^^ themselves, he'll stay at USC another year?

What's the plan then?

Fire Clayton Tune out there and hope for the best? Lol..
What do you count as a "high level?" The guy may never return to his dynamic running style. Can he be a pocket passer? Can we wait a full year, until he's 27, to find out?

I'm at the point where I can no longer be beholden to the idea of "but we signed him to a bad contract" and what people told me about Rosen - the sunk cost fallacy. Caleb Williams isn't the only top QB potentially available, and why are we trashing CJ Stroud before he's taken a real NFL snap?

Holding on Kyler Murray if he doesn't get healthy is probably a way we end up holding the bag again looking for a QB, maybe with less draft capital and a new coach.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyler has his warts but he is far and away our best QB. His contract becomes less of an issue with each new contract and salary cap. He is a gym rat, give the man a chance. He has some serious skills. Just 1 year of his highlights:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
But how was he in high school?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So crazy how everything on social media has shown a great recovery leading to speculation that Kyler might be back by week 1 or shortly after and then this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I said months ago in free agency he might not play this season. Or, if he did, it would be the last 4 to 6 games.

This team, that offensive line specifically, is going to be horrific. What good does it do to throw him out there to throw to a substandard WR group with an oline that is going to force all QBs who play for us this year (I predict a minimum of 4, maybe as many as 7 or 8) to take a beating? It's unhelpful for next season for Murray as either a starter or as trade bait.

Josh Dobbs? Pfft...... Please.
You're entitled to your opinion about our OL, but I think our OL, barring injuries, is pretty good. JMO, but I think we have one horrific group, and that is at CB. Hoping we get lucky on Cutdown Day and are able to add two CB's. And that Williams is able to play before too long.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So crazy how everything on social media has shown a great recovery leading to speculation that Kyler might be back by week 1 or shortly after and then this:

Who is Pro Football Network? Never heard of them, but looked them up and I don’t even see this on their website. They say they focus on NFL, but also have specific sections for Cowboys and Dolphins. They honestly seem like fanboys who started a website a couple years ago….like the PHNX crew. Could this all be true? Sure….but I doubt these dudes would get the scoop.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is Pro Football Network? Never heard of them, but looked them up and I don’t even see this on their website. They say they focus on NFL, but also have specific sections for Cowboys and Dolphins. They honestly seem like fanboys who started a website a couple years ago….like the PHNX crew. Could this all be true? Sure….but I doubt these dudes would get the scoop.
Yeah, a Cowboys fan is who shared it with me. LOL

I really think he’ll be back sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way Kyler sits entire year…. Drew saw up close in Watson what sitting out an entire year + does to a QB. The game is too fast to do that nowadays. Would basically mean Kyler will be 2 years out from being possibly viable imo.
If he’s not 101% healthy, Murray will not play. Remember he didn’t have surgery until January.
I don’t see how playing 3-4 games this year ( IF he’s healthy) is going to dramatically change his efficiency come 2024.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Well Sportskeeda is the… website(?) or record. They’re paying eight bucks a month for Twitter Blue.
You're entitled to your opinion about our OL, but I think our OL, barring injuries, is pretty good. JMO, but I think we have one horrific group, and that is at CB. Hoping we get lucky on Cutdown Day and are able to add two CB's. And that Williams is able to play before too long.

I think they’re one of the most promising units on a very bad football team. The odds that both Froholdt and Wilkinson are above replacement level are low, which means you have a big weak spot in the middle of the line (plus rookie issues at RT).

Off-ball LB and DT are also Chernobyl-level disaster areas. This team is gonna be soooo bad.

Yeah, a Cowboys fan is who shared it with me. LOL

I really think he’ll be back sooner rather than later.

What does this mean to you? He doesn’t go on PUP to start the year, or he’s back by Week 8? I think the over-under on his return is week 9.5.

If he’s not 101% healthy, Murray will not play. Remember he didn’t have surgery until January.
I don’t see how playing 3-4 games this year ( IF he’s healthy) is going to dramatically change his efficiency come 2024.

The game time won’t matter much, but the practice reps during the week with the new staff will matter quite a bit.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Having gone through the surgery myself, I’m going to say he won’t play this year. It took me 10 months before I was comfortable getting back on a fire truck. I played my first down of competitive passing league at 14 months. Even then, I wasn’t 100%, more like 85-90.

I think it’s true they’re looking for dudes to start this year not named Kyler. I don’t think that necessarily means he is done with the franchise. As much as I hated the pick, and really can’t stand his ass, the Cardinals would be Uber stupid to invest what they have without giving him another year.

Kyler is actually in the drivers seat with this one.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Having gone through the surgery myself, I’m going to say he won’t play this year. It took me 10 months before I was comfortable getting back on a fire truck. I played my first down of competitive passing league at 14 months. Even then, I wasn’t 100%, more like 85-90.

I think it’s true they’re looking for dudes to start this year not named Kyler. I don’t think that necessarily means he is done with the franchise. As much as I hated the pick, and really can’t stand his ass, the Cardinals would be Uber stupid to invest what they have without giving him another year.

Kyler is actually in the drivers seat with this one.
No offense, but comparing your recovery to a world class athlete receiving the best medical care in the world isn’t really a comparison. Look at Burrow’s recovery, not the athlete Kyler is. Look at the athletic freak Adrian Peterson’s recovery in what I believe was 9 months to become the rushing champ that same year. He will be back this season I’d wager within the first half of the season. Although with the colossal tank - I do wonder if somehow he gets traded this season.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I still can‘t believe that Keim AND BIDWILL extended Murray’s contract. It really is amazing that Murray was able to pressure them by removing all pics of him with Cardinals gear on from his social media and staying in Texas during the offseason. Keim AND BIDWILL folded at the first sign of pressure

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I still can‘t believe that Keim AND BIDWILL extended Murray’s contract. It really is amazing that Murray was able to pressure them by removing all pics of him with Cardinals gear on from his social media and staying in Texas during the offseason. Keim AND BIDWILL folded at the first sign of pressure
Yep

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson