Reassessing Murray.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought he played well considering the circumstances. Better than I expected in fact. I temper my excitement due to the fact that the Falcons have squat at QB and a coach who doesn't rely on his best weapon in that rookie RB. Nice to see the kid TE ball out also.

That being said it was really great to see a QB that could throw the ball past 5 yards. Also, kudos to the defense for playing a pretty solid game.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With just one game in the books, the Cardinals have the best QB on the NFC West.

1. Kyler
2. Prudy
3. Geno
4. Carson Wentz? Really? OK then!
But the worse Oline, the worse weapons and the worse defense unfortunately.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why people still bring up batted passed. Other than his rookie season, he's averaged less than 1 a game for batted passed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last year

This year

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the worse Oline, the worse weapons and the worse defense unfortunately.
Good thing this thread is about Kyler and not those other things. ;)

And hopefully most of that is fixed this off season.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So now that the luster of Sunday victory has subsided has anyone have thought about Murray’s performance?

I looked at his performance as very good…for his first game back.
I also think he will need to get better than he was.

I also think the play calling changed a bit more than I was hoping for. It was more back to finesse than bloody your nose running game. Not blaming Kyler for this. If Kyler gets sacked on that incredible run we’d probably be talking about a loss and a game with less than 100 yards rushing. The play calling seemed to put more on Kyler’s shoulders and I don’t like that idea.

I’m not worried about the batted passes. In fact one batted pass saved an almost sure pick.

His accuracy needs to improve. Over thrown pass to Brown was a TD. McBride saved Kyler from a severely under thrown pass.

He also seems jittery in the pocket. It has always kind of been one of his traits.

This week will really be interesting. Hopefully we see incremental
improvement. I’m not unhappy with his game Sunday but I do think he needs to get better.

What do you guys think?
I think your expectations may have been a tad too high if you weren’t thrilled with how Murray played. And I emphasize the word “played”. He played fast and furious, and was 100% fearless. For me, that was most important. I wish he had hit Hollywood for the TD, but that was on both of them. Yes, Murray overthrew a wide open guy, but even Hollywood said afterwards that he slightly tripped and it slowed him down a tad. They definitely need to get that right, because this offense will need some longer pass completions moving forward.

The interception was a miscommunication. Murray expected him to sit down and stop the route. Based on the defense, that’s exactly what he should have done. Instead, McBride kept moving and the pass ended up severely left. That’s very fixable. What was most important was that Murray took the blame for both.

Lastly, there was nothing finesse about what I saw in that game. When you use your TE to the tune of 140 yards, and he’s running through people in their secondary, I would assume there were bloody noses on their sideline. Our D was very violent also. And Conner was Conner. He hit everyone he could. And how about the hit Murray put on their LB after the interception?? That was a jarring tackle, one not many, if ANY QB would even attempt in today’s NFL. And our backup TE dropped a PERFECTLY thrown 30 yard pass too. That was Murray’s best pass of the day. The pass to McBride on the last drive was intended to be lofted high, with McBride coming back to the ball if need be. Even McBride said he was surprised that he got behind the safety on that play. McBride stated after the game that he told Murray to throw it high & he would go get it, or cause a PI in the process of coming back to the ball. Kyler needs to complete a higher % of his passes, and needs to figure out how to get the ball to Hollywood more frequently. One completion to Brown just isn’t going to result in W’s moving forward.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your expectations may have been a tad too high if you weren’t thrilled with how Murray played. And I emphasize the word “played”. He played fast and furious, and was 100% fearless. For me, that was most important. I wish he had hit Hollywood for the TD, but that was on both of them. Yes, Murray overthrew a wide open guy, but even Hollywood said afterwards that he slightly tripped and it slowed him down a tad. They definitely need to get that right, because this offense will need some longer pass completions moving forward.

The interception was a miscommunication. Murray expected him to sit down and stop the route. Based on the defense, that’s exactly what he should have done. Instead, McBride kept moving and the pass ended up severely left. That’s very fixable. What was most important was that Murray took the blame for both.

Lastly, there was nothing finesse about what I saw in that game. When you use your TE to the tune of 140 yards, and he’s running through people in their secondary, I would assume there were bloody noses on their sideline. Our D was very violent also. And Conner was Conner. He hit everyone he could. And how about the hit Murray put on their LB after the interception?? That was a jarring tackle, one not many, if ANY QB would even attempt in today’s NFL. And our backup TE dropped a PERFECTLY thrown 30 yard pass too. That was Murray’s best pass of the day. The pass to McBride on the last drive was intended to be lofted high, with McBride coming back to the ball if need be. Even McBride said he was surprised that he got behind the safety on that play. McBride stated after the game that he told Murray to throw it high & he would go get it, or cause a PI in the process of coming back to the ball. Kyler needs to complete a higher % of his passes, and needs to figure out how to get the ball to Hollywood more frequently. One completion to Brown just isn’t going to result in W’s moving forward.
My expectation were not too high. He performed better than I thought. However, my post was mainly to get the feel of the crowd after the “ adrenaline” rush, lol.
That being said I would think most of us see room to improve as the rust wears off.