Theory on Murray

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Murray's cap hit if they trade him prior to the 2024 season is 46 million

If he's doing everything he needs to do, including playing at a high level, why would you dump him?

He's not Simmons. He's not Jones.

Why would we take a 46 million dollar cap hit and replace him with a C.J. Stroud level player out of college?

What if we dump Murray, and try to draft that drama machine Caleb Williams and he tells ARZ to go ^^^^ themselves, he'll stay at USC another year?

What's the plan then?

Fire Clayton Tune out there and hope for the best? Lol..
That cap hit is just a number - Cards have the most Cap space as of now in the NFL and does not look like they are looking to spend it. Also the new QB would be on a rookie deal so the QB cap space is a wash. 3rd and most important..... I dont want Williams, he is to short also and somewhat the product of the OU/SC systems/talent. Drake Maye should be the 1st QB off the board if he comes out Dude is a mix of Burrow/Herbert - Williams is Murray 2.0 but "maybe" 2" taller and plays less scared. Dallas trading for Lance hurts trade value for Murray, im hoping the Vikings interest and Vegas interest remain

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I would think a losing season for Cards/Texans that netted the #1 pick might give them pause in keeping KM beyond this year. Although I have no clue how the top available QB's in next years draft are rated compared to KM.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I admit I don't watch a just a ton of college football, but I had to look up Drake Maye to see who he was.

STATS

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
342 517 66.2 4,321 8.4 38 7 80 157.9

For college numbers, this looks pedestrian to me, but what do I know.

Still, if he becomes the guy for ARZ, I hope he leads us to multiple super bowls.

At the end of the day, K1 is one of 53 on my beloved Cardinals. If he goes, he goes.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I admit I don't watch a just a ton of college football, but I had to look up Drake Maye to see who he was.

STATS

Still, if he becomes the guy for ARZ, I hope he leads us to multiple super bowls.

At the end of the day, K1 is one of 53 on my beloved Cardinals. If he goes, he goes.
His stats are heisman level, and he is not even surrounded with talented players

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

STATS

Maye was pretty good considering he was pressured 37% of the time on dropbacks. His Oline was not very good.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

STATS

Pedestrian?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Pedestrian?

Here are Tagovaloa stats from 2019

Year G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rat

*2019 9 180 252 71.4 2840 11.3 13.4 33 3 206.9

Jalen Hurts from that same year

Year G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rat

*2019 14 237 340 69.7 3851 11.3 12.2 32 8 191.2

And stinky Joe Burrow from 2019:

*2019 15 402 527 76.3 5671 10.8 12.5 60 6 202.0

So yes Gimpy a little pedestrian compared to some of the guys who have come out recently.

But by all means, let's hit the eject button on Murray, in favor of big Drake Maye. Sounds like a fool proof plan. I'm sure Maye will be 2x as good as Murray.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
His stats are heisman level, and he is not even surrounded with talented players

juza76 my friend, how have you been? You staying cool this summer?

North Carolina is not Alabama or Georgia I agree, but they're not exactly the Sisters Of The Poor either. :) I think Mac Brown is the coach there, correct? He's a good recruiter. Marginal game day coach but a good recruiter.

And my other rebuttal might be, who is Maye playing against in the ACC? Duke? Wake Forest? NC State? Not exactly a Murders' Row of opponents in that conference.

But if you like Maye, cool. Maybe he will end up being the guy and I will cheer hard for him to get us a ring.

What do you think about what you've seen during the preseason so for for Arizona?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
juza76 my friend, how have you been? You staying cool this summer?

North Carolina is not Alabama or Georgia I agree, but they're not exactly the Sisters Of The Poor either. :) I think Mac Brown is the coach there, correct? He's a good recruiter. Marginal game day coach but a good recruiter.

And my other rebuttal might be, who is he playing against in the ACC? Duke? Wake Forest? Not exactly a Murders' row of opponents in that conference.

But if you like Maye, cool. Maybe he will end up being the guy and I will cheer hard for him to get us a ring.

What do you think about what you've seen during the preseason so for for Arizona?
I m fine, thank u, finally the rain and the temperature drop, there was some oppressive heat before
Im still a big Murray fan, i dont want to draft any qb, but Maye Is very good imo
About the cardinals i only watched the highlights, considering preseason games pretty worthless, i can only hope Murray will be on the field soon and we can finally give him a good line to let him playing comfortable in order to fully exploit his amazing talent

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
But by all means, let's hit the eject button on Murray, in favor of big Drake Maye. Sounds like a fool proof plan. I'm sure Maye will be 2x as good as Murray.

IF Murray hadn't regressed SIGNIFICANTLY in 2022, you might have an argument.

2022's performance of pre injury Murray plus his contract plus the lack of talent on this team plus uncertainty on him every becoming a consistent elite QB is exactly why you blow this up and start over.

Feel free to go back to the threads - I was one of Murray's biggest supporters the last few years.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all wondered when Murray might be returning. Consensus seems to be 9 months to a year rehab for his injury.

Let’s not forget Murray didn’t have the surgery until January. If his recovery is a year would mean he will not play in 2023.

Do you really think he would come back a day to soon for a team that’s 2-8 should he be healthy after 10 months? I say it is highly unlikely.

I have a feeling we may never see Murray in a Cardinal uniform again. Even more so should the Texans really suck and gifting us a top 5 pick. Add that to what Kyler might get us in a trade in players and or picks.

It just seems awfully strange to suddenly pick up a QB who “ will compete” for the starting job 4 days before the last preseason game.

There’s something in the air my friends.

I couldn’t disagree more. I think you are reading too much into the trade for Dobbs.

IMO Kyler will be back by week 8.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

2022's performance of pre injury Murray plus his contract plus the lack of talent on this team plus uncertainty on him every becoming a consistent elite QB is exactly why you blow this up and start over.

Feel free to go back to the threads - I was one of Murray's biggest supporters the last few years.

Hey, I get what you're saying and it makes sense. For those that have lost faith in K1, I understand. He has to prove it on the field this year (and possibly 2024, we'll see).

For me personally though TheCardFan, I'm thinking 2022 was an outlier in terms of season performances for Murray.

And didn't the whole team regress last year? The one that had Murphy and Allen and Watt and Hopkins, Ertz, Brown, Moore, etc? Last year's team was not devoid of talent, but it stunk up the field. As a whole.

Look, the fact of the matter is that if Murray comes out and plays decent after the layoff, and looks like he's ramping up towards the end of the year, there's little chance ARZ trades him. Not for the pedestrian Drake Maye anyway.

If by week 16 or 17, K1 looks like a top ten QB, you just can't throw that away. You have to try to build around it because what are the odds that "QB X" coming out of college is going to be a top ten NFL QB? The odds are too low. A bird in the hand my friend.

Maybe... maybe if Caleb Williams just lights it up this year and we have the 1st pick in the draft, then maybe I could see the Cardinals pulling the trigger in that scenario. That's extremely unlikely though. Think Josh McCown to Nate Poole (haha, j/k). :)

Last edited:

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No offense, but comparing your recovery to a world class athlete receiving the best medical care in the world isn’t really a comparison. Look at Burrow’s recovery, not the athlete Kyler is. Look at the athletic freak Adrian Peterson’s recovery in what I believe was 9 months to become the rushing champ that same year. He will be back this season I’d wager within the first half of the season. Although with the colossal tank - I do wonder if somehow he gets traded this season.
I agree. I tore my ACL last May, had the replacement surgery in June, was back to doing crossfit 4 months later in October and playing ice hockey in January. And I'm playing baseball this summer and catching.

Not comparing myself to a world class athlete. Just saying that I did that and I'm 45, so anything is possible.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I guess what I'm trying to say (or ask, really) is if the next Payton Manning (college QB who was as good as PM) were in this upcoming draft, would you trade KM and go that route?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
"he did well behind a bad oline" is not compelling enough to burn the #1 pick in the draft on him Cardpa.
All I was saying is that his numbers probably would have been better with a decent Oline. Williams had a good Oline last season.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Hey, I get what you're saying and it makes sense. For those that have lost faith in K1, I understand. He has to prove it on the field this year (and possibly 2024, we'll see).

For me personally though TheCardFan, I'm thinking 2022 was an outlier in terms of season performances for Murray.

And didn't the whole team regress last year? The one that had Murphy and Allen and Watt and Hopkins, Ertz, Brown, Moore, etc? Last year's team was not devoid of talent, but it stunk up the field. As a whole.

Look, the fact of the matter is that if Murray comes out and plays decent after the layoff, and looks like he's ramping up towards the end of the year, there's little chance ARZ trades him. Not for the pedestrian Drake Maye anyway.

If by week 16 or 17, K1 looks like a top ten QB, you just can throw that away. You have to try to build around it because what are the odds that "QB X" coming out of college is going to be a top ten NFL QB? The odds are too low. A bird in the hand my friend.

Maybe... maybe if Caleb Williams just lights it up this year and we have the 1st pick in the draft, then maybe I could see the Cardinals pulling the trigger in that scenario. That's extremely unlikely though. Think Josh McCown to Nate Poole (haha, j/k). :)
The thing about Kyler regression is erosion of the deep ball. He went from one of the best deep ball passer to one of the worst. I'd say based on his career it might be more of outlier. However, his game is heavily dependent on him being a great deep ball passer.

Here's the concern.

Kyler posted a 96? passer rating last year in games where he has DeAndre Hopkins. I believe the last two seasons his passer rating was anywhere from 100 to 102 with Hopkins on the field.

Cardinals cut him.

So how do we improve on Kyler's deep passing? While I do believe the run action (stuff I've been calling for years) gets involved in the offense it still matters who is he throwing to?

Kyler only played ONE game with Hopkins and Hollywood together. Hollywood has his injury issues.
Rondale Moore and Dortch are 5'7. Michael Wilson is impressive in camp but is he really a deep ball threat?

Kyler is going to have really alter his game. It's also with a hope and a prayer that Petzing is the next big offensive mind and not someone who gets fired after 2024.

I think the organization is more on a wait and see approach with Kyler. If he handles this tough situation good then he'll be back next year. If he looks like a poor fit for the offense they'll pivot. However, at least based on preseason they havent made it easier. Which calls into question just how in a rush Kyler wants to get on the field. Cause he can blame his bad year on Kliff and Keim. No one is giving him that benefit of the doubt if it turns into 2 years.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

STATS

I will take those stats all day long

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison