Murray Speculation

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree on Brown. You also need a third receiver to reduce the ability to double Wilson & Brown, especially the latter. They’ve also got a bunch of defensive needs.
Yeah. I think you're happy with a young blue-chip prospect to add to that WR room. Rondale Moore has no value as a wideout; that should be clear by now. I love the idea of having a rotation of Wilson, Brown, and another quality player that you can rotate into any of the WR positions and be effective.

I think Brown can be deadly out of the slot; that's part of the reason I've been disappointed in Zach Pascal's underperformance.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you have to retain Hollywood Brown in that scenario.

I understand it's easy to get distracted by shiny objects and skill position players, but this defense is awful. 31st in defensive DVOA (only Denver is worse), and we're closer to 32 than we are to 30.

We need maybe two starting-caliber IDL and one starting-caliber CB and EDGE. OOF.

I'm fine building the offense to optimize the investment in Kyler Murray and because offense is more consistent year to year than defense is. But this defense has a LONG way to climb and there aren't many reinforcements on the roster.
I agree. But by making this offense dynamic we would be helping the defense.
I agree this defense needs a lot of help.
Also agree on keeping Brown IF Kyler is 2021 Kyler.
Hypothetical I know, but MHJ, Brown, Wilson, Moore, McBride and Connor would exciting.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hypothetical I know, but MHJ, Brown, Wilson, Moore, McBride and Connor would exciting.
Mm, Brown's not one I break the bank on as a #1 WR. If we draft MHJ, then sure, no problem. Weird I'd break the bank on him as a #2 in that scenario, but the rookie contract evens it out. Then again, not breaking the bank and not getting MHJ would be a bad scenario too. Thanks for a really dumb trade, Keim!

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I agree on Brown. You also need a third receiver to reduce the ability to double Wilson & Brown, especially the latter. They’ve also got a bunch of defensive needs.
If we draft Marvin Harrison Jr and re-sign Hollywood next season to go along with Wilson we are then set at WR for a while. That’s what I’m hoping we do.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Connor, but it's time to go young and dynamic there. If he's just our 3rd down back next year, I can live with that. Otherwise, I like that list.

I'm surprised to see that 2021 was his healthiest season, but to be fair he wasn't used much until Edmonds was traded away

You must be registered for see images attach

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If we draft Marvin Harrison Jr and re-sign Hollywood next season to go along with Wilson we are then set at WR for a while. That’s what I’m hoping we do.
That. A LG, and a RB and our offense is set.

Then we need to find 2 DT's...an edge who consistently wins 1 on 1...and a legit CB1

With 2 firsts and an early 2nd we should be able to fill WR, DT, and maybe CB...then with those 3rds a LG, RB, and another DT...

Add a couple decent free agents and the team should be a legit threat every week...
Downside is that plan doesn't get us Humps replacement on the roster.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Rondale Moore has no value as a wideout; that should be clear by now. I love the idea of having a rotation of Wilson, Brown, and another quality player that you can rotate into any of the WR positions and be effective.

I'm a sucker I know, but I'm still holding out the faintest of hopes for Moore

2021 Murray + a competent OC = a productive (and possibly even exciting) WR3 Moore? I mean, it's obvious that if you get him the ball with a little bit of space he can do some damage. Plus, he's stayed off the injury report so far this year.

But if you want to say it's Andy Isabella part II, I won't really argue.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Mm, Brown's not one I break the bank on as a #1 WR. If we draft MHJ, then sure, no problem. Weird I'd break the bank on him as a #2 in that scenario, but the rookie contract evens it out. Then again, not breaking the bank and not getting MHJ would be a bad scenario too. Thanks for a really dumb trade, Keim!
To be fair who ever Kiem drafted with that First round pick(can’t believe it took a first) was going to be a bust. At least that makes me feel a little better.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That would be an outstanding corps - would love to see that. I’m sure Murray would too. Hopefully McBride can continue to develop, too.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I‘m not hearing the plan has changed with Murray playing a limited number of downs in the Cleveland game. However Tyler Sullivan of CBS has another thought, “Of course, with the NFL trade deadline set for Tuesday, Gannon's comments certainly leave wiggle room for folks to recklessly wonder if a deal with Murray heading out of Arizona is on the horizon. While unlikely, it does stand to wonder what the future holds for Murray beyond this looming return with the Cardinals rocketing towards a top-five pick in a draft where there are two top quarterback prospects.”.

This would be in keeping with a tanking mentality and indicate the idea of taking the Murray hit ASAP thus getting Murray off the books. I’m hearing there are teams desperate enough to chance Murray. Burrows’ contract makes Murray’s deal look not so extraordinary. If the Cards make this deal I guess it might still be possible to get a number one for him. I don’t think there’s much trade history with that kind of cap hit.
“rocketing towards a top-five pick” is such a great line it should replace Dawn of a New Era

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I am not assuming Brown will sign another contract in AZ. All it will take is one team to offer him an oversized contract and he is gone. I don't care how good a buddy he is with Murray, money will win out. If the team drafts Harrison Jr., Brown may not like playing second fiddle to him. There are probably several other reasons why Brown may leave.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not assuming Brown will sign another contract in AZ. All it will take is one team to offer him an oversized contract and he is gone. I don't care how good a buddy he is with Murray, money will win out. If the team drafts Harrison Jr., Brown may not like playing second fiddle to him. There are probably several other reasons why Brown may leave.
I seriously doubt it.

I don't see anyone paying him like a #1 receiver because of his size and let's face it, not great production.

I am 80% sure he will be resigned.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I seriously doubt it.

I don't see anyone paying him like a #1 receiver because of his size and let's face it, not great production.

I am 80% sure he will be resigned.
It's hard to say. Should he hit free agency he'd be the best or second-best wide receiver on the market.

Based on what I've seen of this offense, I'd swap him for Michael Pittman, Jr. tomorrow and not look back.

But this coaching staff probably know more than I do, and this is one reason why it's important for Kyler to return.

I think the operating theory today is that you can support a maturing quarterback with two really good receivers (Eagles, Bengals, Jaguars, Bills, Dolphins, San Fran, etc.).

Then, you can take the training wheels off some and give him one elite receiver and hope he makes a young guy better/lifts a mediocre group (Green Bay with Rodgers, Minnesota, Cleveland, Dallas). The results of this second phase are... mixed so far.

If Kyler has sold himself on the coaching staff and front office as a guy they want to tie themselves and this phase of their careers to from a character/leadership/work ethic standpoint (I think this is probably 70% likely or more right now, but not as definite as some believe), he has to help determine the weapons he needs.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I don't think Hollywood will be a Bidwill decision although I believe he'll be consulted of course

I think Hollywood will be a Monti/Sears decision - and I highly doubt he and Kyler's friendship will be a major factor in that process

As far as what Hollywood is worth - he's worth whatever someone will pay him - situations change constantly - it's all about timing and needs

If the Cards want to resign him I'm hoping they let him test free agency - possibly match whatever's out there - and if Hollywood likes Kyler so much...

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Much depends on how the draft shapes up. If they get Harrison, retaining Brown is less likely. If they ended up with someone like Odunze, Brown would be needed to stretch the field.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
When you think about it, drafting Harrison would more than replace Brown and not resigning Brown frees up a fair amount of cash to sign free agents in other areas of need greater than WR. If Harrison plays up to his billing and Wilson improves into his second season he may just replace what Brown brings to the table. Sign a mid level WR like Curtis Samuel (projected to be just under $10 million) and you have a pretty nice trio of receivers.

Spotrac is projecting the market value of Brown to be in the neighborhood of just under $19 million.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When you think about it, drafting Harrison would more than replace Brown and not resigning Brown frees up a fair amount of cash to sign free agents in other areas of need greater than WR. If Harrison plays up to his billing and Wilson improves into his second season he may just replace what Brown brings to the table. Sign a mid level WR like Curtis Samuel (projected to be just under $10 million) and you have a pretty nice trio of receivers.

Spotrac is projecting the market value of Brown to be in the neighborhood of just under $19 million.
This is the way. Well, a way, and a good one at that.