Murray Speculation

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I‘m not hearing the plan has changed with Murray playing a limited number of downs in the Cleveland game. However Tyler Sullivan of CBS has another thought, “Of course, with the NFL trade deadline set for Tuesday, Gannon's comments certainly leave wiggle room for folks to recklessly wonder if a deal with Murray heading out of Arizona is on the horizon. While unlikely, it does stand to wonder what the future holds for Murray beyond this looming return with the Cardinals rocketing towards a top-five pick in a draft where there are two top quarterback prospects.”.

This would be in keeping with a tanking mentality and indicate the idea of taking the Murray hit ASAP thus getting Murray off the books. I’m hearing there are teams desperate enough to chance Murray. Burrows’ contract makes Murray’s deal look not so extraordinary. If the Cards make this deal I guess it might still be possible to get a number one for him. I don’t think there’s much trade history with that kind of cap hit.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, read both paragraphs and came away with one word that tells me not to trade him to Atlanta (probably top destination) or anywhere else. And that word was PROSPECTS.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Rumor was Atlanta tried to trade for him during draft.

Interesting timing that Ridder got benched on Sunday.

You must be registered for see images attach

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Minnesota is another interesting destination.

Kyler and Jefferson are buddies and Kirk just tore his achilles/will be a free agent.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing is they have to give us something in return to make it worthwhile.

While you can argue the Falcons and Vikings are dead in the water with their QB situations they both already have 4 wins and are likely to win a few more. Seems pretty unlikely either team has a top 10 draft pick. Give either team Murray and their draft pick isn't going to be top 10 for sure.

The Vikings make a ton of sense given their WR group, give them Murray and they are probably going to be fine but then what are they going to give us in trade that makes the deal worthwhile? You'd need multiple #1's and a player or two because with Murray and that offensive group their pick isn't going to be an early one.

I'd much rather keep Murray play out the season.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The thing is they have to give us something in return to make it worthwhile.

While you can argue the Falcons and Vikings are dead in the water with their QB situations they both already have 4 wins and are likely to win a few more. Seems pretty unlikely either team has a top 10 draft pick. Give either team Murray and their draft pick isn't going to be top 10 for sure.

The Vikings make a ton of sense given their WR group, give them Murray and they are probably going to be fine but then what are they going to give us in trade that makes the deal worthwhile? You'd need multiple #1's and a player or two because with Murray and that offensive group their pick isn't going to be an early one.

I'd much rather keep Murray play out the season.
The flipside is Kyler with this current offensive group/OC? might not net a 1st round pick at all in the offseason.

Not saying Kyler would, but if this were the start of camp I'd think Kyler's people might push for this. Cause we're assuming he magically fixes this roster/offense and the reality is its 50/50.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Minnesota is another interesting destination.

Kyler and Jefferson are buddies and Kirk just tore his achilles/will be a free agent.
The irony being that the Vikings would likely have to trade players like Jefferson to the Cardinals, because they aren't going to have the draft picks and other capital required to obtain Murray.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The irony being that the Vikings would likely have to trade players like Jefferson to the Cardinals, because they aren't going to have the draft picks and other capital required to obtain Murray.

They have #1 picks this year and next?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
really -- is it even contractually possible?

I think per OTC: to trade him its a $40mm cap hit and the Cards have ~$25 or so today

it would be awesome for places like PFT that like to throw stuff out to do some actual journalism and say so

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Vikings would laugh at the Cardinals if they asked for Jefferson.

However, Jefferson upcoming contract would force Kyler to make significant changes in order to keep him.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I don’t think he gets dealt, but if I was the GM and considered trading him I’d certainly spread the rumor he was not available. It’s poor negotiation strategy to tell people you’re willing to divest an asset.

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
really -- is it even contractually possible?

I think per OTC: to trade him its a $40mm cap hit and the Cards have ~$25 or so today

it would be awesome for places like PFT that like to throw stuff out to do some actual journalism and say so
Per OTC the dead money hit is 80 million. Not happening

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Speaking of Murray speculation

I see Kyler's post-injury performance largely impacting our free agency aspirations

If he shows out - it'll be on a team that's been able to run the ball all year - no matter the back - which Petzing utilizes with play action - hopefully making Kyler more than happy while under center

It'll be on a team who's defense - despite the naysay - has proven capable of stopping some pretty high cal offenses - I don't see Kyler making their job harder - I see Kyler capitalizing and inspiring our D to play even harder

If Kyler shows out - I think it'll make us look a lot better - like damn near attractive - right before free agency

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Murray speculation

I see Kyler's post-injury performance largely impacting our free agency aspirations

If he shows out - it'll be on a team that's been able to run the ball all year - no matter the back - which Petzing utilizes with play action - hopefully making Kyler more than happy while under center

It'll be on a team who's defense - despite the naysay - has proven capable of stopping some pretty high cal offenses - I don't see Kyler making their job harder - I see Kyler capitalizing and inspiring our D to play even harder

If Kyler shows out - I think it'll make us look a lot better - like damn near attractive - right before free agency
Assuming Kyler is 2021 Kyler this offense is decent and just a couple of players from being lethal.
Add MHJ, a guard and another rb that can be a big play threat and we really have something going. If Kyler….

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Assuming Kyler is 2021 Kyler this offense is decent and just a couple of players from being lethal.
Add MHJ, a guard and another rb that can be a big play threat and we really have something going. If Kyler….
I think you have to retain Hollywood Brown in that scenario.

I understand it's easy to get distracted by shiny objects and skill position players, but this defense is awful. 31st in defensive DVOA (only Denver is worse), and we're closer to 32 than we are to 30.

We need maybe two starting-caliber IDL and one starting-caliber CB and EDGE. OOF.

I'm fine building the offense to optimize the investment in Kyler Murray and because offense is more consistent year to year than defense is. But this defense has a LONG way to climb and there aren't many reinforcements on the roster.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
but this defense is awful. 31st in defensive DVOA (only Denver is worse), and we're closer to 32 than we are to 30.
and i think that if the offense scores more points with Kyler in -- the defense will give up more points

meaning: its in worse shape than the stats suggest

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I think you have to retain Hollywood Brown in that scenario.

I understand it's easy to get distracted by shiny objects and skill position players, but this defense is awful. 31st in defensive DVOA (only Denver is worse), and we're closer to 32 than we are to 30.

We need maybe two starting-caliber IDL and one starting-caliber CB and EDGE. OOF.

I'm fine building the offense to optimize the investment in Kyler Murray and because offense is more consistent year to year than defense is. But this defense has a LONG way to climb and there aren't many reinforcements on the roster.
I agree on Brown. You also need a third receiver to reduce the ability to double Wilson & Brown, especially the latter. They’ve also got a bunch of defensive needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson