Suns @ Mavericks Saturday game thread 1-30-2021

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It is amazing to me that the Suns can be without their best player, the first big off the bench, and the first guard off the bench, and still look like an actual NBA team. Yeah, they lost a few games, but most of them were pretty close.

Good win tonight. The started well, ran into issues, and recovered successfully. CP3 was outstanding tonight. I doubt he'll be able to play like this very often, but if we can bridge the difference between the first dozen games and tonight, and he plays in between, the Suns should be in great shape. Ayton is getting better. Every couple of games, you can see clear improvements. He won this game almost as much as CP3 did. Bridges did an amazing job on Luka in the fourth. I've watched 80% of Mav's game featuring Luka, and I have never seen anyone do as good of a job on Luka as Bridges does. I am also very happy with Nader and Galloway being very aggressive.

Good win, keep it up!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it’s because so many of his points are off lobs or put backs. We don’t see him drive or post effectively a lot.
Interestingly, scoring on putbacks probably has more impact than driving etc. On a drive he makes an offensive move that might be in place of another player, whereas a putback is usually a gravy play that normally would go to the other team.

I am just fine with Ayton getting quiet points. Let the guards and swings play with all the flash, he can just keep cleaning up and that will win games.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns win games with their second unit. They made the difference in the 3rd quarter.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Interestingly, scoring on putbacks probably has more impact than driving etc. On a drive he makes an offensive move that might be in place of another player, whereas a putback is usually a gravy play that normally would go to the other team.

I am just fine with Ayton getting quiet points. Let the guards and swings play with all the flash, he can just keep cleaning up and that will win games.
You’re not wrong. But I think this is the “why” to the points being seemingly “quiet.” Or at least in part. The frustration with the quiet is that the relative lack of shot creation is what we seemingly most miss when the offense gets really stagnant. We can’t just dump it in the post and let him go to work.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re not wrong. But I think this is the “why” to the points being seemingly “quiet.” Or at least in part. The frustration with the quiet is that the relative lack of shot creation is what we seemingly most miss when the offense gets really stagnant. We can’t just dump it in the post and let him go to work.

I agree this is the part that's missing.

The Suns have compensated by getting players like Galloway, Nader and Moore who are willing to drive the ball to the basket to give the Suns a consistent inside presence.

Needless to say Chris Paul was huge last night creating, making key shots and getting to the free throw line (12-13).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking absolutely nothing away from the win, it helped the Mavericks had played at Utah the night before and were late getting home.

Of course the Suns have won their last two games without Booker, Payne and Saric.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow impressive win for suns maybe better without Kardashians addicted booker... lol jkin

Great to see ayton balled and paul

Fell zzz through 3rd qtr nice

Think mavs will turn around when kris comes back

Luka is an amazing player oh yea and his mom is hot lol

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow impressive win for suns maybe better without Kardashians addicted booker... lol jkin

Great to see ayton balled and paul

Fell zzz through 3rd qtr nice

Think mavs will turn around when kris comes back

Luka is an amazing player oh yea and his mom is hot lol
You going delonte west on us mjb21aztd?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Booker is still an NBA top 10 choice when you need a guy to create a shot for himself in crunch time
but it would be worse to have Paul out than Booker.

it's a more solid offense at any time, with the ball in the hands of a high bb iq guy who'll protect the ball, take a high percentage shot or make a good pass. and his defense is more valuable.

it would also be worse to have Ayton out than Booker.
he still needs to be more aggressive, but even with his faults, he's the league's 4th top rebounder and his defensive presence can't be replaced with any other player on this team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson