Preseason: Suns @ Lakers Sunday game thread 10-10-2021

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He could be if we keep him. Any news about thad young or is that over.
Not over according to flex. They are going to hold onto him until they are sure they get the most they can for him.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Post game show is the same guys talking about the Lakers getting Geritol IV drips in the locker room.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not over according to flex. They are going to hold onto him until they are sure they get the most they can for him.

Maybe the Spurs waited too late and the Suns change their mind.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McGee 12/9/3

Good lord I love that stat line from him

Stix 12/9

Great game by him

Hopefully these two guys can play at this level maybe not every night but that kind of production in the paint with Ayton is scary

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Smith can play like this, the Suns should keep him and look for a buyout to fill out roster.
Well he didn’t do anything stupid, and his shot selection was far better, but his issue I think is his defense against other stronger 4’s.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well he didn’t do anything stupid, and his shot selection was far better, but his issue I think is his defense against other stronger 4’s.

Smith is only a second year player who can play some now so I can wait.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reaves is like a young Brent Barry. I think I’m talking about the right barry.

This game:

Sick of AD falling, biggest guy on the court screams and cries every time his vajin gets touched

ESPN mentioning to putting the camera on LeBum

Suns depth still looking good. McGee will be huge later on. I’m not ripping Ayton yet as there is virtually no drop off in offense and defense when McGee comes in. The pay difference will be huge once he gets paid.

I wish we brought a legit Center in behind Ayton last year because it would have made his asking price a little more reasonable. I almost don't blame the Suns in waiting to max him out because a real max player should outplay McGee 9 times out of 10. We'll see what happens this season.

It's a gamble either way, paying him now or not. It's not as easy of a decision as maxing Booker a couple years back. It was fairly obvious Booker would put in the work and continue improving while already being at an All-Star level.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone is looking for the box score here is a link. Impressive win by Suns in preseason.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If anyone is looking for the box score here is a link. Impressive win by Suns in preseason.

If you were watching the broadcast the only way you'd know the Suns won was by seeing the chyron at the bottom of the screen.

If that is what national games are going to look and sound like, I'm good with having all the games on Bally's.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish we brought a legit Center in behind Ayton last year because it would have made his asking price a little more reasonable. I almost don't blame the Suns in waiting to max him out because a real max player should outplay McGee 9 times out of 10. We'll see what happens this season.

It's a gamble either way, paying him now or not. It's not as easy of a decision as maxing Booker a couple years back. It was fairly obvious Booker would put in the work and continue improving while already being at an All-Star level.
It actually is an easy decision. He will get the max, he is a major asset you cannot let walk. You have to give him the max even if you don’t think he is worth it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my fill of national media coverage last season in the playoffs. I'm not expecting that to change anytime soon.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It actually is an easy decision. He will get the max, he is a major asset you cannot let walk. You have to give him the max even if you don’t think he is worth it.

Yeah but a good GM recognizes whether a player is more valuable as an asset or piece of the team. I don't envy James Jones or Sarver in this scenario.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Looking at that, Melo 5-7 from 3. Can’t happen. People have to realize he will not blow by you anymore. If he turns his shoulder and backs you down, so be it. That part of his game is still highly inconsistent and has always been overrated.

Also we were horrible from 3 except for Shamet, although we did hit a few in a row to get a big lead in the first.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
McGee 12/9/3

Good lord I love that stat line from him

Stix 12/9

Great game by him

Hopefully these two guys can play at this level maybe not every night but that kind of production in the paint with Ayton is scary
Good. Outside of Ayton, we had no interior presence.

I didn’t watch the game. Can someone update me on how Ayton, McGee and Shmiff looked on defense?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at that, Melo 5-7 from 3. Can’t happen. People have to realize he will not blow by you anymore. If he turns his shoulder and backs you down, so be it. That part of his game is still highly inconsistent and has always been overrated.

Also we were horrible from 3 except for Shamet, although we did hit a few in a row to get a big lead in the first.

I'm not worried about the Suns 3-point shooting. It should be there. Crowder, Paul and Payne usually hit their share. The Lakers are probably still wondering what hit them.

One thing Anthony can do is shoot. He is going to get his share of looks with the Lakers big three.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Abdel Nader played after being listed as probable with a sore right knee. He looked good in 13 minutes scoring 8 points on 3-4 shooting and was quite active.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I didn’t watch the game. Can someone update me on how Ayton, McGee and Shmiff looked on defense?

Ayton was ok, McGee better than ok.

Smith on the perimeter still needs minutes to judge the speed of forwards who play on the perimeter but does alright inside.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I echo McGee was a solid inside presence. I never realized how active he is. He had 12 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 3 blocks.

Ayton started slow but played better as the game went on.

Shamet like McGee did just about everything. McGee and Shamet were huge improvements for the Suns from last season taking nothing away from Saric.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton was ok, McGee better than ok.

Smith on the perimeter still needs minutes to judge the speed of forwards who play on the perimeter but does alright inside.

Smith playing well was like icing on the cake.

Actually better than icing because he showed signs he might be able to contribute in situations this season with 12 points and 9 rebounds.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My takeaway from preseason so far:

The Suns are going to be a freaking nightmare for 85-90% of the NBA.
We have a LEGIT backup crew now, even without addressing the PF spot. (Which I'm sure we will) Still not thrilled with Stix's play but he IS improving.
We have two teams worth of NBA players that aren't Elie Obozo, Tyler Johnson or Jawun Evans whoever TF that was.
We are deep. DEEP DEEP! Possibly one of the best benches in the league. And I think we are not done getting players yet.
I liked that we picked up Javale, but I never knew he could pass like that, he's impressed me so far. Those passes to Cam J were nutz.
6TH man walking! With Shamet(better than I thought) and Cam, CP3 wont get overused. Maybe he will give some salary back lol
Suns in 108

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think our depth is routinely overstated but this year I believe we're legit 9 deep with solid NBA players who could be starters (Paul, Book, Bridges, Jae, Ayton, Payne, Cam J, McGee, and Shamet) and then 3 more good depth signings (Nader, Frank, and Elfrid) to go with Jalen Smith.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard