Preseason: Suns @ Pistons Sunday game thread, 10-8-2023

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I had forgotten that there were two versions of that music. There is the updated version you posted and then the version from the Barkley era with heavy sax and electric guitar riffs. I prefer the latter and was happy to hear it during commercial outros which was really cool.

I hope as they continue to get game footage of the new Suns they'll add them to the intro.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns standard roster stands at 17.

A lot depends on if Damion Lee can return this season.

If he can't, Ish Wainright, Damion Lee or Keon Johnson seem among the logical choices to go to get down to 15 players.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to keep him but wouldn't be surprised if Allen ends up flipped for a big. The key to whether we make a move like that or need to make a move is Bates-Diop, who looked bad today. I had him penciled in as the 5th starter and he was a starter for Pop last year. He was one of the best value signings of the summer, not just for Phoenix but across the league. Hopefully it's just preseason jitters and nothing more. Detroit has quality bigs also that play more traditional big man roles so maybe that contributed to his troubles. He's someone I'll watch close throughout the preseason though.

I can't deny the need for another big, but Grayson Allen was probably the best player the Suns received out of the Ayton trade.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I can't deny the need for another big, but Grayson Allen was probably the best player the Suns received out of the Ayton trade.

He’s going to be a stud here. The Timeline guys talked about it on their pod last night. Both Allen and Gordon are rim pressure guys that are constantly attacking. We’d be naive to think this won’t be an iso-heavy team but the spare parts won’t be stale offensive players like years past. Nurk may be traffic come on D at times but he won’t be a stationary player the last guy was when he didn’t have the ball.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and he is only under contract for the rest of this year. I hope we have his bird rights.

I hope the Suns have Allen's Bird Rights, but I couldn't find a concrete answer.

He will be an unrestricted free agent next summer.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope the Suns have Allen's Bird Rights, but I couldn't find a concrete answer.

He will be an unrestricted free agent next summer.

We do have his bird rights. Those get traded with a player. So we're good to resign him after this season, provided he sticks out the season with us.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We do have his bird rights. Those get traded with a player. So we're good to resign him after this season, provided he sticks out the season with us.

I worry about Yuta and some of the other 1 year contracts. A couple guys will likely pop. I hope Ishbia has Jerry's touch with the wink, handshake deals.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I worry about Yuta and some of the other 1 year contracts. A couple guys will likely pop. I hope Ishbia has Jerry's touch with the wink, handshake deals.

I'd imagine at least one of the guys we signed on 1 year deals with player options will pick it up. NBA deals are kind of funny too and those guys might actually make more on year 2 than if they opted out and took a minimum deal elsewhere.

Yuta, Eubanks, Bates-Diop, Damien Lee, and Gordon all have player options. Okogie has a player option as well but we will have his early bird rights which will allow us to sign him up to like $10m a year but I believe it needs to be at least 2 years guaranteed. So I can see Okogie opting out similar to Cam Payne a few years back. The situation will be virtually the same.