Preseason: Suns @ Pistons Sunday game thread, 10-8-2023

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If Vogel had to cut the two players based on this game then Bol would certainly be one of them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Vogel had to cut the two players based on this game then Bol would certainly be one of them.

He's super raw. He's also not a real C despite being used as one, or at least it seemed that's how he was used. Detroit kind of went at him too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said that too soon after we got him and got flamed for it! LOL!
As a player? I strongly dislike the guy, or at least his history, but there's no doubt he can help us on the court. And I thought that was made clear by many of us.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Not all that meaningful of a game, given the situation. The main takeaways are that the Suns rotation is going to likely be better than most teams, and the back end of the bench is there for a reason.

And hey, maybe we should try trading Bol Bol for James Wiseman?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our forward depth isn't great. Our guard depth is fine. This 3rd string of guards looks pretty bad. Meanwhile the bigs out there now, Metu and Azibuke look better than the 2nd string did.
What? Aziubuke stood around like a rock, worthless.

metu looked good but Eubanks was better.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m happy with that start.

I think we’re gonna have same-ish issues with Nurkic as we did Ayton. But Allen was really the big piece of that trade to get us another shooter, okay creator and the cheap shot artist every title team needs.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was impressed with Allen especially. I thought he looked great.

Metu looked good, Eubanks looked good, and of course the big 3 looked great.

keon Johnson sucked. azubukie sucked. Bol pretty much sucked.

saben lee still can’t shoot.

nurk is really kind of an uncoordinated mess. He played ok but I can tell he is going to piss me off a lot this year.

overall though, our top 9 or 10 look more than good enough, especially if Goodwin is as good as I think.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was impressed with Allen especially. I thought he looked great.

Metu looked good, Eubanks looked good, and of course the big 3 looked great.

keon Johnson sucked. azubukie sucked. Bol pretty much sucked.

saben lee still can’t shoot.

nurk is really kind of an uncoordinated mess. He played ok but I can tell he is going to piss me off a lot this year.

overall though, our top 9 or 10 look more than good enough, especially if Goodwin is as good as I think.
Have you ever actually watched Goodwin? I see a lot of people expecting solid contributions from him, but I wonder if that’s based more on Hope than any experience with his game.

Admittedly, I haven’t seen enough to expect much one way or another.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have you ever actually watched Goodwin? I see a lot of people expecting solid contributions from him, but I wonder if that’s based more on Hope than any experience with his game.

Well I haven’t seen much, but I really liked what I saw in the summer league, and his stats are very solid for a second year player.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He's got crazy long arms and on defense he puts them to good use. So far he's been pretty limited offensively, but I think he could pair well with Gordon off the bench.

I think we're going to see a lot of small ball when the bench is out there. The backup guards look way better than the options we have at forward.

They are going to need to make a real team effort on the glass.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like to keep him but wouldn't be surprised if Allen ends up flipped for a big. The key to whether we make a move like that or need to make a move is Bates-Diop, who looked bad today. I had him penciled in as the 5th starter and he was a starter for Pop last year. He was one of the best value signings of the summer, not just for Phoenix but across the league. Hopefully it's just preseason jitters and nothing more. Detroit has quality bigs also that play more traditional big man roles so maybe that contributed to his troubles. He's someone I'll watch close throughout the preseason though.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I'd like to keep him but wouldn't be surprised if Allen ends up flipped for a big. The key to whether we make a move like that or need to make a move is Bates-Diop, who looked bad today. I had him penciled in as the 5th starter and he was a starter for Pop last year. He was one of the best value signings of the summer, not just for Phoenix but across the league. Hopefully it's just preseason jitters and nothing more. Detroit has quality bigs also that play more traditional big man roles so maybe that contributed to his troubles. He's someone I'll watch close throughout the preseason though.
If Vogel's as defensive minded as has been stated I see a lot of playing time for Allen in Arizona - if he can get Luka to commit just one technical lol

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

KBD looked bad. As I said earlier he came in later than expected for me, which tells me where he stands in Vogels eyes.

But flipping Allen for a big? What big is there in Allen’s salary range that improves us and plays over Nurk and Eubanks.

Unless you package Allen with Nurk which seems less than a lateral from Ayton to Nurk/Allen to whom?

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Been bit bummed by cards but makes me feel better with suns beating monty!!! Even if preseason

Soooo unreal to see beal in a suns uni will light it up this yr!

420 wonka purple kush hit to w :)

Need some sports excitment with the other az team in town.... lol

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KBD looked bad. As I said earlier he came in later than expected for me, which tells me where he stands in Vogels eyes.

But flipping Allen for a big? What big is there in Allen’s salary range that improves us and plays over Nurk and Eubanks.

Unless you package Allen with Nurk which seems less than a lateral from Ayton to Nurk/Allen to whom?

I'm not going through the whole league to find someone but Allen makes close to MLE money so it should be easy to find a matching salary in a trade. If we need to add salary then Keon Johnson or Nassir Little are possibilities. We'll see what happens. I wasn't very impressed with Eubanks and think we can upgrade there or add a PF to start alongside our Big 3 and Nurkic. We have options now, which was one reason why we turned Ayton's deal into 4 smaller deals. I like what Allen brings but also see him as a luxury on this team. Hopefully guys step and we dont need to make a deal unless it clearly fills a weakness.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ishbia continues to hit every note when it comes to presentation, spectacle and honoring the legacy of the franchise.

Fingers crossed his roster moves are just as on key.
I had forgotten that there were two versions of that music. There is the updated version you posted and then the version from the Barkley era with heavy sax and electric guitar riffs. I prefer the latter and was happy to hear it during commercial outros which was really cool.

I hope as they continue to get game footage of the new Suns they'll add them to the intro.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keon Johnoson would be the first to go IMO, I thought he was mostly horrible.

Bol could be 2nd - but Damien Lee is hurt, and Ish has no guaranteed money and is duplicative of Little in a lot of ways.