Preseason: Suns @ Kings 10-10-19

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to trade a lot for Ibaka.

I'm not sure what the story is on Kenneth Faried but he could help the Suns off the bench. The Suns biggest weakness seems to be rebounding and toughness inside.

iVAN

Reaction score

I'm not sure what the story is on Kenneth Faried but he could help the Suns off the bench. The Suns biggest weakness seems to be rebounding and toughness inside.

No defense and zero range on offense. Hard pass on KF. The guy is out of NBA contract for a reason. He belongs in YMCA.

iVAN

Reaction score

No defense and zero range on offense. Hard pass on KF. The guy is out of NBA contract for a reason. He belongs in YMCA.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Faried is still a bench player that can give the Suns what they need at a minimal price...rebounding and toughness.

iVAN

Reaction score
Faried is still a bench player that can give the Suns what they need at a minimal price...rebounding and toughness.
He wouldn't play over Baynes, and I'd rather have Diallo as 3rd string. And no, Faried isn't a PF at all.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wouldn't play over Baynes, and I'd rather have Diallo as 3rd string. And no, Faried isn't a PF at all.

I'm looking for affordable depth. The last time I looked Faried was a PF/C. Game situations would dictate when he would play.

However, I'm not locked onto Faried. Another player similar to his playing style would do.

I wish the Suns could have kept Holmes for this purpose. Baynes and Holmes would have been nice when the Suns need to get tough.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't rely on wikipedia for such information. Watch games. Faried is an underized C who can't defend at all and only scores 0-5 ft range.

Faried has always been considered a PF/C. With the changes to the league as far as most teams going smaller, he would be a C/PF like he was in Houston last year. He could play next to Ayton, regardless of what position you want to assign to him. It's all about spacing and he plays inside so Ayton would need to play further out. It would be like how Minnesota played Vonleh and Towns together. Vonleh is a PF and KAT a C but Towns played outside and Vonleh inside, switching roles. For the Suns though Faried would provide rebounding and toughness, like Mainstreet said. He's not good enough to play big minutes but he could play 5-10 minutes a half to help set the pace. He's also cheap and a realistic target.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd straight game for Ayton with zero FT attempts. Not crazy about that stat.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
2nd straight game for Ayton with zero FT attempts. Not crazy about that stat.
Is it because he is still playing like a Power Forward?

As he has for his past two seasons.

If it walks like a duck . . . :)

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is it because he is still playing like a Power Forward?

As he has for his past two seasons.

If it walks like a duck . . . :)
Zion has no problem at all getting to the FT line. He is a power forward. So what are you saying?
Watching Zion last night I was seeing the heart and determination I sure wish Ayton had - forget shooting skills for moment. But I don't think I have ever seen it with Ayton, at all. And if he can't find it, or at least some semblance (50+%) of it, he was the wrong pick for the Suns, in hindsight.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zion has no problem at all getting to the FT line. He is a power forward. So what are you saying?
Watching Zion last night I was seeing the heart and determination I sure wish Ayton had - forget shooting skills for moment. But I don't think I have ever seen it with Ayton, at all. And if he can't find it, or at least some semblance (50+%) of it, he was the wrong pick for the Suns, in hindsight.

I understand much of Zion's success came at playing center against the Jazz exploiting match-ups.

This does not take away from your point though.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I understand much of Zion's success came at playing center against the Jazz exploiting match-ups.

This does not take away from your point though.
He was for sure beating up Ed Davis, but he went at Gobert successfully several times during the game as well. The thing with Zion is he is a physical "freak", yes, but also his passion is basketball. And it shows.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I hear Ayton say the right words, but the words are too well versed that its almost scripted. The issue is i dont see it translate to the court.
Ayton says a lot of things. It's time for him to start backing it up on the court.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton says a lot of things. It's time for him to start backing it up on the court.

At this point I'd just settle for him keeping his mouth shut most of the time. He's a child in so many ways. He wants so much to please everyone but I'm not convinced he has the emotional makeup to be the player we want him to be. He'll still be good, better than we've ever had at the center position, but he's got elite physical gifts and I'm not sure he'll ever fully use them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point I'd just settle for him keeping his mouth shut most of the time. He's a child in so many ways. He wants so much to please everyone but I'm not convinced he has the emotional makeup to be the player we want him to be. He'll still be good, better than we've ever had at the center position, but he's got elite physical gifts and I'm not sure he'll ever fully use them.

He is a child in his development as you point out so I'm not taking his comments literally.

It's hard to believe Dragan Bender is the same age (21) and fans expected so much of him. The Suns and fans need to be more patient with their young players. Perhaps we were spoiled by Booker's quick development.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
AzStevenCal said:

It's up to an astute coaching staff to bring him along, determine his emotional makeup and develop his ultimate
limitations. "Keeping his mouth shut most of the time" sounds extreme pertaining to a player who wants to
please everyone, especially considering some of the flakes we've had at a power position. A fan not sure if he'll
ever fully use his elite physical gifts is hardly a reason for the team to not develop his potential.

He is a child in his development as you point out so I'm not taking his comments literally.

It's hard to believe Dragan Bender is the same age (21) and fans expected so much of him. The Suns and fans need to be more patient with their young players. Perhaps we were spoiled by Booker's quick development.

Excellent point! Expectations of instant gratification are unrealistic, despite it being a trademark of our society at large.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
It's up to an astute coaching staff to bring him along, determine his emotional makeup and develop his ultimate
limitations. "Keeping his mouth shut most of the time" sounds extreme pertaining to a player who wants to
please everyone, especially considering some of the flakes we've had at a power position. A fan not sure if he'll
ever fully use his elite physical gifts is hardly a reason for the team to not develop his potential.

Excellent point! Expectations of instant gratification are unrealistic, despite it being a trademark of our society at large.
It's true we have to develop him as far as he can go and hope that his motor on the court can be improved in time. Not everybody has the desire of a Booker, Zion (you can see it already), or Leonard.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is my thought process. He really is still so much a child.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
So how did everyone look in the second half? After what I watched, just didnt feel like watching anymore.