Kings @ Suns Tuesday game thread 1-16-2024

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Thought all them 3s Grayson was shooting were for nothing - turned out we needed every single one of them

For those who don't know - Grayson Allen was that very untradable premature grey hair Ted Cruz looking guy who couldn't miss again tonight

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
A few of their guys hit some contested 3s that’s what makes it tough when you play de ent to good D then they make crazy shot anyway. They definitely need to be more consistent on D but they did at times and it still didn’t stop them.
We have been improving over the season, for sure. But just too many avoidable mistakes that stop our momentums.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Sacramento's perspective... a stunning collapse for the Kings.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I'll have to go back and rewatch the 4th. The offense felt much better, not sure if that was just Kings discombobulation with 5 shooters out there or if Phoenix was doing something different compared to other 4th quarters. I know they started pretty poorly, there was one play in particular that had exactly one pass and resulted in a contested KD three that was just a terrible offensive possession.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
From Sacramento's perspective... a stunning collapse for the Kings.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The Kings are a dumb team when the 3’s don’t fall. They choke a lot of games away. Kinda crazy their record is what it is despite being 17th in net rating. I can’t stop picturing Fox in purple and Orange.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to go back and rewatch the 4th. The offense felt much better, not sure if that was just Kings discombobulation with 5 shooters out there or if Phoenix was doing something different compared to other 4th quarters. I know they started pretty poorly, there was one play in particular that had exactly one pass and resulted in a contested KD three that was just a terrible offensive possession.

Here are the highlights of the last 5 minutes of the game thanks to ESPN.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
We still are not well prepared for double teaming on the top. Only late did we go to KD on the low post once, with pass out of double team that resulted in made pts. And KD got subbed out soon after. There are a lot of details to work on. We can't just rely on one-on-one scoring ability under contest by our big 3.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The one game I didn’t watch this season. Checked the halftime score and figured we were done. Check the final and shocked by a 2 pt win.

Some here are finally noticing the negative side of Nurk despite his boards and points.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The one game I didn’t watch this season. Checked the halftime score and figured we were done. Check the final and shocked by a 2 pt win.

Some here are finally noticing the negative side of Nurk despite his boards and points.
Give me a break. I hate "I told you so" posts.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG. Just finished on DVR. I was about to turn it off at the 7:54 mark when they were down by 20. Holy crap I am glad I didn’t. What a comeback and run at the end. Wow!

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
I just rewatched the 4th. Refs started to call moving picks that are the lunch Kings used to eat all the time. They called 4 of them to start the 4th, though they missed the one that led to Fox 3pt to make it a 22pt lead on us. Vogel stuck with Okogie who were crucial to many stops inlcuding a block on Monk and a couple moving pick calls, and subbed him out for Gordon at about 5'11'' left with still 16 pt deficit. With small-5 lineup, there is no PnR chances anymore for Kings.
Also, while Metu was in there early in the 4th, it's KD guarding Sabonis, Metu guarded Lyles or whoever their second biggest guy was. If Metu could be defensively more savvy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Point Booker (16 points and 11 assists) was a huge part of the win as he distributed the ball to the right players.

Allen (29) did everything, pass, block shots and shoot. It was like having another Devin Booker on the court.

Durant (27) was cold-blooded knocking down those shots in the 4th quarter while Gordon came up clutch as well.

The Suns need more of this scrambling defense, which got them back in the game.

1982baskets

Veteran
Reaction score
I said a few weeks back when the big 3 play, the coaching staff were talking about utilizing Durant as a 5. Some didn't believe me. It finally was tried and it looked really good on offense.

I recall the Warriors doing that with KD as well. One of the things it does is give you more speed to set up your offense to get quicker looks. Much much more spacing, as your 5 (in this case KD) can shoot 3s like no other 5 in the league. It's like having a unicorn at the 5. Going small to solve the scoring problems in the 4th is definitely an answer.

Now no way you can start KD at the 5, but it shows you one of the weaknesses we have with Nurk starting. It doesn't give us length at the rim or speed defensively to cover ground. It also doesn't give us 3 point shooting and spacing. When there's more spacing, Beal and Book and others can get into the paint much easier. More paint touches = more open 3s.

If I'm Jones I'm seeing this and pushing to trade for a stretch 5 that has length and can rim protect. This will complement Nurk much more. Also we should defintely consider using KD like the Warriors would at times, as a closing 5. He has the length to play that spot, he just doesn't have the strength to defend the post.