Suns @ Kings Friday game thread 12-22-2023

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns finish up their two game road trip at the Kings on Friday.

Afterward, they return home to play the Mavericks on Monday, a Christmas night game. It will be nationally televised on ESPN.

The Suns are 14-13 after losing to the Trail Blazers. They are 3-7 in their last ten games.

Kings are 16-9. They play the Celtics at home on Wednesday.

When: Friday, 12-22-2023

Television: Suns Live, Arizona's Family 3TV / Arizona's Family Sports Radio: KMVP 98.7 / S: KSUN

Time: 8 PM Arizona time

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We’re gonna get blasted by Sac.

I'm as pessimistic as anyone about this team right now, but I think Sacramento is the kind of team we can beat.

They don't play any defense, they're terrible on that end. We are a flat out lousy team, but we do have some good outside shooters who you cannot let get hot, and Sacramento loves to let teams get hot.

It will be a shoot out, I don't think I'd favor us, but I doubt we get steam rolled.

We do need to find a way to keep Fox from blowing through our defense though.

I can't believe how badly we miss Okogie. This team doesn't have anyone who can defend the ball handler at the point of attack right now. Booker is the only guard who even has a chance and it only results in him getting in foul trouble because he cannot help himself but to swipe at the ball.

I was not bullish on Allen or Gordon as defenders but they're both much worse than I expected, Allen especially, he is a flat out ass defensive player.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm as pessimistic as anyone about this team right now, but I think Sacramento is the kind of team we can beat.

They don't play any defense, they're terrible on that end. We are a flat out lousy team, but we do have some good outside shooters who you cannot let get hot, and Sacramento loves to let teams get hot.

It will be a shoot out, I don't think I'd favor us, but I doubt we get steam rolled.

I can't believe how badly we miss Okogie. This team doesn't have anyone who can defend the ball handler at the point of attack right now. Booker is the only guard who even has a chance and it only results in him getting in foul trouble because he cannot help himself but to swipe at the ball.

I was not bullish on Allen or Gordon as defenders but they're both much worse than I expected, Allen especially, he is a flat out ass defensive player.

This team is broken right now. There’s zero leadership. Book is in year 9….losing to the tanking Blazers is unacceptable. This team isn’t going anywhere. Seriously, we’ll be lucky to make the play-in…

Watching us play isn’t fun. How we can’t get into sets and we just dribble, dribble, dribble is beyond stupid. Watch the Nuggets and the ball finds the right guys at the right time. There’s no rhyme or reason.

I don’t see us winning in Sac. Murray is playing better and we can’t stop Fox. I expect a 10-15 point loss…this is just bad

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We just barely beat Washington, and lost to the Blazers.

There isn't any team we should feel confident against - recent results say we are a bottom 5 team in the league.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There isn't any team we should feel confident against - recent results say we are a bottom 5 team in the league.

Exactly. The Suns are not a confident team, nor are they responding to coaching.

I suspect things are going to get worse unless something changes.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. The Suns are not a confident team, nor are they responding to coaching.

I suspect things are going to get worse unless something changes.
The crazy thing is it appears they did respond to coaching for 1 quarter. We started the Portland game with good ball movement, a better effort on the boards and then proceeded to stop doing all of it for no good reason.

We never played that way for the rest of the game, it was like they felt they accomplished their goal and didn't need to work that hard any longer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team is broken right now. There’s zero leadership. Book is in year 9….losing to the tanking Blazers is unacceptable. This team isn’t going anywhere. Seriously, we’ll be lucky to make the play-in…

Watching us play isn’t fun. How we can’t get into sets and we just dribble, dribble, dribble is beyond stupid. Watch the Nuggets and the ball finds the right guys at the right time. There’s no rhyme or reason.

I don’t see us winning in Sac. Murray is playing better and we can’t stop Fox. I expect a 10-15 point loss…this is just bad

I'm not saying I expect us to win, but I think the Kings play defense at such a trash level that we could get Booker and KD rolling at the same time... which is just about the only way we can beat anyone.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The crazy thing is it appears they did respond to coaching for 1 quarter. We started the Portland game with good ball movement, a better effort on the boards and then proceeded to stop doing all of it for no good reason.

We never played that way for the rest of the game, it was like they felt they accomplished their goal and didn't need to work that hard any longer.

The Suns don't play much defense and it seems like their shooting goes away, usually in the 2nd half. When it does, they lose confidence.

It's almost inevitable when the Suns hit a cold spell, combined with their mirage defense, the opponent will eventually get hot. This is when opponents put the Suns away.

Luckily, the Wizards never did. They were missing wide open threes. The Suns could have easily lost that game if the Wizards could hit the broadside of a barn. The Trail Blazers gladly accepted the gifts the Suns gave them.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boston is over 100 on Sacramento halfway through the 3rd.

The kings don’t play any D.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Been bit down mood after suns losing to freaking da lazy rebound ayton

Hope suns play a full good gm vs kings for once but i wouldnt put any money on that lol

Welpers we shall see i guess go suns always a fan even jn the bad seasons :)

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boston is over 100 on Sacramento halfway through the 3rd.

The kings don’t play any D.
Put up 144 in them without Tatum or Horford playing lol… Look around the league guys at the scores… You have to be able to knock down 3s in todays NBA if not you well get shot out of them gym! Shooting 21% like we did in Portland it’s surprising we didn’t lose in a blowout!

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score

Sadly, I'd say you are right. Matt I. has to be thinking WTH is going on with his team. If things don't change by the end of January,
there may be some homes with FOR SALE signs stuck in the front yards. Matt didn't buy this team to be a bottom-dweller.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I watched the first quarter of the Portland game live, missed most of the 2nd quarter. Watched the second half the next morning and it was like watching two totally different teams. They were unrecognizable from the first qtr.

How does a team with 2 of the leagues top 10 scoring leaders play so poorly? It has to be the system/coaching.

Vogel has to be on thin ice. All we need now is a sideline spat between coach and KD or Booker to seal his fate.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched the first quarter of the Portland game live, missed most of the 2nd quarter. Watched the second half the next morning and it was like watching two totally different teams. They were unrecognizable from the first qtr.

How does a team with 2 of the leagues top 10 scoring leaders play so poorly? It has to be the system/coaching.

Vogel has to be on thin ice. All we need now is a sideline spat between coach and KD or Booker to seal his fate.

I think we see that on Christmas day vs Dallas. What sparks it, who knows, but I'd be surprised if we get.through that game without incident.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not saying I expect us to win, but I think the Kings play defense at such a trash level that we could get Booker and KD rolling at the same time... which is just about the only way we can beat anyone.
I know what you mean, I felt like we were going to beat the kings in the last game - but here is the issue this Suns team doesn't ever seem to play well for a whole game. One bad quarter will get us beat most nights against the Kings.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't see any kind of spat like that happening.

Seems to me Booker, KD and Vogel are all non confrontational. That may be part of our problem.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns don't play much defense and it seems like their shooting goes away, usually in the 2nd half. When it does, they lose confidence.

It's almost inevitable when the Suns hit a cold spell, combined with their mirage defense, the opponent will eventually get hot. This is when opponents put the Suns away.

Luckily, the Wizards never did. They were missing wide open threes. The Suns could have easily lost that game if the Wizards could hit the broadside of a barn. The Trail Blazers gladly accepted the gifts the Suns gave them.
I think the reason it's inevitable is because our offense is totally predictable ISO ball and Book and KD are probably tired out at the end of the game and the role players stop cutting and moving because they know the stars want to take the shots at the end of the game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the reason it's inevitable is because our offense is totally predictable ISO ball and Book and KD are probably tired out at the end of the game and the role players stop cutting and moving because they know the stars want to take the shots at the end of the game.

That's another thing, the Suns have to work hard for their shots because they are not a good passing team. It's supposed to be a five player game. Good passing creates open looks for everyone.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know everyone watched this team ten years ago, that was a bottom five team. This is not that. It’s the NBA you have to play four quarters and hit the three

+/- 1 games separates spots 7-11 in the western conference.

The #3 Nuggets have 2 losses more than us. Things aren't that bad, but things are glaringly obvious that something needs to be changed.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What the Portland loss and the near collapse vs the Wizards tells me is that the 2 losses vs the Spurs weren't a fluke. This team needs a wake up call. Maybe they get it together vs the Kings and Mavs but I have no faith they will. In fact losing vs the Kings all but ensures another ugly loss vs the Mavs, IMO. This is a must win for this team to salvage the season.