Preseason: Suns @ Trail Blazers Thursday game thread, 10-12-2023

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Durant looks healthy and efficient this time unlike in the playoffs. He was showing his age then, but this time he looks rejuvenated.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get the Portland fans frustration with Nurk, but watching him, he seems to fill a role on this team that Ayton was just unwilling to fill. Nurk sets picks, and his size makes them useful. He does roll to the hoop and he does rebound. He also has that perimeter shot that spreads the floor. The thing most encouraging about Nurk is his ability to distribute from the post. He makes useful passes. Ayton would pass out of the post, but it was more of a dump-off because he couldn't/wouldn't do anything with it. Nurk passes to guys who are in a position to score or at least moving in the offense.

I get Portland fans wanting more, but for us, that is more.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I get the Portland fans frustration with Nurk, but watching him, he seems to fill a role on this team that Ayton was just unwilling to fill. Nurk sets picks, and his size makes them useful. He does roll to the hoop and he does rebound. He also has that perimeter shot that spreads the floor. The thing most encouraging about Nurk is his ability to distribute from the post. He makes useful passes. Ayton would pass out of the post, but it was more of a dump-off because he couldn't/wouldn't do anything with it. Nurk passes to guys who are in a position to score or at least moving in the offense.

#1 surprise, huge!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
#1 surprise, huge!
We will eventually have frustrations. Nurkic, as big as he is, plays below the rim. He gets little elevation and seems to rarely dunk the ball. At the rim he throws up an array of layups and flip shots that go in at a percentage that is below what is acceptable for a guy that big and that close to the hoop.

That was their primary frustration and it will be ours as well.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We will eventually have frustrations. Nurkic, as big as he is, plays below the rim. He gets little elevation and seems to rarely dunk the ball. At the rim he throws up an array of layups and flip shots that go in at a percentage that is below what is acceptable for a guy that big and that close to the hoop.

Sounds like Oliver Miller without the doughnuts

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sounds like Marcin Gortat. The Polish Hammer that never hammered it home.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score

Ayton thinks he is much better than he really is and complained, and then exposed when he was given the chance to be leader of the team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ayton thinks he is much better than he really is and complained, and then exposed when he was given the chance to be leader of the team.
I firmly believe he has "settled" for 16-18 points and 8-10 rebounds a game as his normal. He doesn't seem like he ever wants to push for a 30-20 game, or anything like the big centers do when they go off. He just cruises along each game. Once he hits his totals, he seems to throttle it down.