Obtainable Point Guards this off-season

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ignoring the salary issue that makes that impossible, yes. Bridges is already as good defensively, and he will be a better shooter within a year or two. I would not trade him for Holiday straight-up.

Clearly there would have to be other pieces involved, but it's definitely possible. Not sure how you're projecting Bridges to be the better shooter, and Holiday is unquestionably the better playmaker.

If the Pellies were willing to do a package built around Bridges, I can't see how the Suns wouldn't be all over that.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Clearly there would have to be other pieces involved, but it's definitely possible. Not sure how you're projecting Bridges to be the better shooter, and Holiday is unquestionably the better playmaker.

If the Pellies were willing to do a package built around Bridges, I can't see how the Suns wouldn't be all over that.

Well, Bridges shot better from the three-point range than Holiday did last year. Sure, it was a down year for Jrue, but Bridges had a better 3 point percentage in his rookie season. Another thing about Holiday is that as his volume increases, his FG% decreases. Jrue is absolutely a better play maker than Bridges. Bridges is taller and longer. They play different positions so they will have different advantages and disadvantages. They are both outstanding defenders, they are both extremely smart players, they are both good shooters. Holiday is definitely a better overall offensive players, and he is a better play maker.

I am a huge fan of Holiday. I think he is the best defensive point guard in the league and a perfect point guard to play alongside Booker. I also believe that Bridges will be the best 3 and D SF in the league within two or three years. I also think he is smart enough to be able to develop into a very good passer. He is also six years younger and much cheaper. I would be thrilled if the Suns could have both, but considering their size, contracts, age, etc... I am going with Bridges. I would gladly offer NOLA anything else they want, save for Booker and Ayton, including a couple of picks. Another way to look at this is whether or not I would prefer Holiday to Bridges AND a point guard like Collison. In my case, the answer is Bridges and a PG like Collison.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A big plus for going after Collison is the Suns are able to keep all their assets as he is a free agent.

Of course the Suns need to be prepared if he goes elsewhere.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, today a breakfast meeting with NO and AD blew up. Thus the Pelicans finally listening to offers. It sounds on ESPN like AD made it abundantly clear he doesn't want to be there. How that affects Jrue? I have seen speculation at that point NO would probably blow up what they have and rebuild.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Listened to Gambo today. There was some sort of hinting that back-channeling "might" have already occurred and the Suns "might" already know which veteran pg they will end up with this summer.

OK. So let me speculate. Assuming this is not about a trade (which would be a bad assumption, but just for the sake of speculation), we are talking free agent.

1. Vet.
2. Unrestricted. They cannot know about a restricted FA yet.
3. Not a top name. We do not have max space and those guys are probably going elsewhere.
4. Player that believes he is a starting pg and sees the Suns as an opportunity.

Corey Joseph, Collison, Beverly, Rubio, Rose, McConnell, Teague. One of these players will likely be on our team next year. Any one is an upgrade.

McConnell is a possibility. He could have told Monty to give him a call once the dust settles. It would not have been tampering because Monty was still his coach.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, today a breakfast meeting with NO and AD blew up. Thus the Pelicans finally listening to offers. It sounds on ESPN like AD made it abundantly clear he doesn't want to be there. How that affects Jrue? I have seen speculation at that point NO would probably blow up what they have and rebuild.

That's also ESPN. They've pushed the AD out of New Orleans longer than anyone and even had Rachel Nichols on a live mic question whether Zion would want to be in New Orleans right after they won the lottery.

Don't get me wrong, I think they'll deal Davis but I'm not sure why it's now news that they're listening to offers.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Listened to Gambo today. There was some sort of hinting that back-channeling "might" have already occurred and the Suns "might" already know which veteran pg they will end up with this summer.

OK. So let me speculate. Assuming this is not about a trade (which would be a bad assumption, but just for the sake of speculation), we are talking free agent.

1. Vet.
3. Not a top name. We do not have max space and those guys are probably going elsewhere.
4. Player that believes he is a starting pg and sees the Suns as an opportunity.

Corey Joseph, Collison, Beverly, Rubio, Rose, McConnell, Teague. One of these players will likely be on our team next year. Any one is an upgrade.
I am thinking you are right. They have said the 6th pick won't be for a PG. (Still leaves PF!) Gambo has thrown names out there. A lot of players have been eliminated by James Jones as not fitting the timeline. So aging vets are out. It appears, from reading different articles the Suns are not looking to blow up the team, but rather to add to it. That all points to a free agent. Also, with our cap situation, it probably rules out restricted free agents.

So the team is taking shape. So far it appears we are keeping the 6th pick, adding a veteran PG, and from workouts we look to keep the 32cnd pick, too.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That's also ESPN. They've pushed the AD out of New Orleans longer than anyone and even had Rachel Nichols on a live mic question whether Zion would want to be in New Orleans right after they won the lottery.

Don't get me wrong, I think they'll deal Davis but I'm not sure why it's now news that they're listening to offers.
I think it was the publicity, probably from the agent, that a breakfast meeting was had and AD cannot be talked into staying. That supposedly occured today.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I hate this about ESPN. They are trying to make things happen. Sports media should not be tampering with teams. Teams could pay media under the table to do this type of crap. It is just unethical.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

1. Vet.

McConnell is a possibility. He could have told Monty to give him a call once the dust settles. It would not have been tampering because Monty was still his coach.

McConnell is not an upgrade. Not even close. Loved him in college at the U of A, but he just does not have NBA talent. Surprised he has lasted in the league this long...except that his first few years were gifts from a team that was deliberately trying to lose. I sure hope that the Suns aren't deliberately trying to lose the way the Sixers were when they started McConnell.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
and from workouts we look to keep the 32cnd pick, too.

What makes you say that? Other than Grant Williams, we haven't worked out a single player who is worthy of the 32nd pick.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am thinking you are right. They have said the 6th pick won't be for a PG. (Still leaves PF!) Gambo has thrown names out there. A lot of players have been eliminated by James Jones as not fitting the timeline. So aging vets are out. It appears, from reading different articles the Suns are not looking to blow up the team, but rather to add to it. That all points to a free agent. Also, with our cap situation, it probably rules out restricted free agents.

So the team is taking shape. So far it appears we are keeping the 6th pick, adding a veteran PG, and from workouts we look to keep the 32cnd pick, too.

When did they say the 6th pick will not be for a PG? - they have said nothing of the kind.

The plan is clearly to draft a guard to develop and get a free agent as a stop gap for a year or two.

The obvious plan is to sign a vet PG preferably draft garland, hopefully create some cap space by moving Johnson and Warren and sign a PF - hopefully Randle.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo also said today that the Suns most likely will not look to resign Holmes - which to me is a bad move.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When did they say the 6th pick will not be for a PG? - they have said nothing of the kind.

The plan is clearly to draft a guard to develop and get a free agent as a stop gap for a year or two.

The obvious plan is to sign a vet PG preferably draft garland, hopefully create some cap space by moving Johnson and Warren and sign a PF - hopefully Randle.

Just as long as the vet PG is better than freaking TJ McConnell...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gambo also said today that the Suns most likely will not look to resign Holmes - which to me is a bad move.

He mentioned them bringing in Dewayne Dedmon to replace him. I think that would be an upgrade.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just as long as the vet PG is better than freaking TJ McConnell...

I really could see it being him - I think it all depends on how much cap space they can clear.

I know I would rather have McConnell and Randle than Collison and Vonley for example.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I really could see it being him - I think it all depends on how much cap space they can clear.

I know I would rather have McConnell and Randle than Collison and Vonley for example.

I'd rather have Collison and be forced to start TJ Warren or Josh Jackson or a rookie at power forward than Randle and McConnell. We can't go a third consecutive year without a legitimate NBA point guard. We just can't.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He mentioned them bringing in Dewayne Dedmon to replace him. I think that would be an upgrade.

Is that a good use of our cap space paying 6-10 million for a backup center who should only get 15 -20 minutes a game?

Is the idea he will play PF also?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd rather have Collison and be forced to start TJ Warren or Josh Jackson or a rookie at power forward than Randle and McConnell. We can't go a third consecutive year without a legitimate NBA point guard. We just can't.

THERE IS ZERO% chance Warren is coming back. NONE.

I just don't agree with you. Utah has made the playoffs the last 2 years with freakin Rubio as their PG - it is not the necessity you make it out to be.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its funny to read the Nets boards and Suns boards on RealGM. Nets guys value Dinwiddie less than the Suns guys do. Both teams fans talking about a deal. You would think something should be able to be done that would make both teams happy.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Another way to look at this is whether or not I would prefer Holiday to Bridges AND a point guard like Collison. In my case, the answer is Bridges and a PG like Collison.

Fair enough, although Bridges better be a borderline star to justify his exclusion for someone like Holiday. Pair Holiday with Book/Ayton, get a decent PF, and you can legitimately talk about making the playoffs. Not sure Collison is going to make much of a difference on a 19 win team, even with some improvement from the young'uns.

I think Bridges will be a incredible role player, but I wouldn't hesitate to include him in a Holiday deal. Unfortunately it would likely take far more than Bridges to get a deal done.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
THERE IS ZERO% chance Warren is coming back. NONE.

I just don't agree with you. Utah has made the playoffs the last 2 years with freakin Rubio as their PG - it is not the necessity you make it out to be.

And Rubio has 100 times the talent that McConnell has, which should tell you all you need to know about McConnell. McConnell is a downgrade from Okobo and Melton. Talent-wise and NBA-fit-wise, McConnell is...a combination of Jimmer Fredette (size) and Yuta Tabuse (ability).

And if Warren does not generate any trade interest, we might have no choice but to keep him and start him, with the hope that Monty can somehow elevate his trade value.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And Rubio has 100 times the talent that McConnell has, which should tell you all you need to know about McConnell. McConnell is a downgrade from Okobo and Melton.

And if Warren does not generate any trade interest, we might have no choice but to keep him and start him, with the hope that Monty can somehow elevate his trade value.

Statistically that is just not accurate

McConnell 13.4 per VORP 0.1 BPM -1.6
Okobo 7.6 per VORP -0.9 BPM -5.9
Melton 9.9 per VORP -0.1 BPM -2.6
Rubio 14.0 per VORP 0.9 BPM 0.0

McConnell is better than Melton and Okobo - and is only a little worse than Rubio. But I bet he can be signed for about the minimum.

I am not saying I want McConnell - I don't. But if it means getting Randle than hell yes.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Statistically that is just not accurate

McConnell 13.4 per VORP 0.1 BPM -1.6
Okobo 7.6 per VORP -0.9 BPM -5.9
Melton 9.9 per VORP -0.1 BPM -2.6
Rubio 14.0 per VORP 0.9 BPM 0.0

McConnell is better than Melton and Okobo - and is only a little worse than Rubio. But I bet he can be signed for about the minimum.

I am not saying I want McConnell - I don't. But if it means getting Randle than hell yes.

Then be prepared for the Suns to win 19 games or less...again...and for Booker and Ayton to ask out next season.

And McConnell has been in the NBA for four seasons. I guarantee you Okobo and Melton will both be tons better heading into their fifth season than McConnell is right now. And Rubio is a far superior defender to McConnell, who can't defend at all.

The reason McConnell would sign for the minimum is that he is not an NBA-caliber player, so he will take whatever he can get from whatever team is dumb enough to take him. He is at best an NBA third-string point guard.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

My guess is Holmes' recent arrest has probably sealed that, even if it isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of transgressions. It is the kind of mistake you really should not be making when you are a lower tier free agent looking for a new deal, and likely gives even a team like the Suns (who need all the help they can get) second thoughts about risking a longer term deal on him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson