Obtainable Point Guards this off-season

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Dinwiddie is a good backup

That said he is not even close to being worth the #6 pick and not a better player than Warren

Dinwiddie is a poor shooter and defender - no thank you.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I would love that trade. I would even go further. (Bucks pick, one of the young PGs, etc.) Dinwiddie is exactly what the Suns need. Big point guard who can play off the ball, is a good defender, and a good-enough shooter.
This might be the worst player assessment ever on this board.

Dinwiddie is a poor shooter, way below league average from 3 and nothing indicates that he is an even average defender.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This might be the worst player assessment ever on this board.

Dinwiddie is a poor shooter, way below league average from 3 and nothing indicates that he is an even average defender.

You can just... disagree and state why, you don't gotta go all "and the click you claim".

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I mean are we living in the same reality?

Isn‘t this the reality where first round pucks are valued higher than ever? Teams are very hesitant to trade first round picks suggesting to trade a # pick, TJ Warren and another first round pick that could end up without protections and then even more on top for a player that isnt even better is just crazy talk

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dinwiddie is a good backup

That said he is not even close to being worth the #6 pick and not a better player than Warren

Dinwiddie is a poor shooter and defender - no thank you.

Warren is better than Dinwiddie but for various reasons including health, he has less value IMO. And in a normal draft the 6 pick would be a significant overpay for Spencer. In this draft though, it's only a mild overpay. And while he isn't a great shooter, he had a .580 True Shooting percentage this season which is higher than Klay Thompson for example.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wonder how available is Tyus Jones. I am sure MIN would much rather get rid of Teague as they need cap relief but I like the potential of Jones.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how available is Tyus Jones. I am sure MIN would much rather get rid of Teague as they need cap relief but I like the potential of Jones.

If the Suns like Teague more than Tyler Johnson (player option) it could be a straight up trade. I haven't followed Teague that much.

The Suns might overpay for Tyus Jones (RFA) but I'm not sure he is the answer.

I bet the Timberwolves might take a second round pick for Jones.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@overseascardfan

The Suns would have to sweeten the trade for Teague as both Tyler Johnson and Teague will be expiring contracts so the Wolves would want something.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
@overseascardfan

The Suns would have to sweeten the trade for Teague as both Tyler Johnson and Teague will be expiring contracts so the Wolves would want something.

How about Johnson and Warren for Teague and Dieng? TWolves get a reasonably priced scoring wing and long term cap relief. The Suns get a starting point guard and a serviceable, albeit overpriced, back-up big man.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about Johnson and Warren for Teague and Dieng? TWolves get a reasonably priced scoring wing and long term cap relief. The Suns get a starting point guard and a serviceable, albeit overpriced, back-up big man.

At first glance I think it's an overpayment for an expiring contract in Teague. The Wolves probably do it for Johnson and the Bucks pick but I am not sure if the Suns get much better.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
At first glance I think it's an overpayment for an expiring contract in Teague. The Wolves probably do it for Johnson and the Bucks pick but I am not sure if the Suns get much better.

Well, we do need another big, even if we also draft one, and we have to find a way to dump Warren, who can be a valuable piece for another team, but who has become a cancer here...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we do need another big, even if we also draft one, and we have to find a way to dump Warren, who can be a valuable piece for another team, but who has become a cancer here...

I'm guessing or hoping there are better trade options for Warren.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm guessing or hoping there are better trade options for Warren.

My guess is that if there were, he would have been traded during the season last season, rather than being shut down for the last 3+ months.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would the wolves do that?

If the Wolves keep Tyus Jones (RFA) they are going to have to pay him so there is that.

Wolves have a lot of money tied up in players ($110,134,671) for the upcoming season.

They would probably prefer to trade Teague to a team that can absorb his $19 million dollar contract.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I am with you on that 1Sun. A couple of veterans at positions of need for TJ and TJ is fine by me. It's not like the front office has impressed us much with trades lately. Lucking into a player with a unique surname that actually cared doesn't count I feel. Hope he cares equally much about on court effort after he (hopefully) gets a contract here. And we should definitely sign Holmes as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that if there were, he would have been traded during the season last season, rather than being shut down for the last 3+ months.

This is a good point. The Suns probably should have traded Warren earlier than later.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Here's my STRETCH thought during our endless off season. If we're going to go looking for a PF and a PG this off season what if we combine them into one guy: Draymond Green.

He's probably going to have a hard time resigning with the Warriors.
The PG's we've been looking at signing are ALL subpar.
He's a proven winner.
He's the ACTUAL PG for the Warriors.
He plays incredible D and rebounds.
He loves setting up his teammates.
He's the perfect compliment to Book, Bridges, and Ayton.
James Jones says he wants veteran leaders who win.
He brings a much needed attitude to this team and Monty might be one of the few guys that can keep him focused.
He frees us up to start a lesser D talent at PG that can fill it up from 3.
He's clutch.
He's only 29.

I get that he might be a system talent and that he'll cost a ton, but there's no denying he is the glue to that Championship team. He does a ton of dirty work.

Oh, and I probably should have led off that I hate Draymond Green. But I love winning more.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's my STRETCH thought during our endless off season. If we're going to go looking for a PF and a PG this off season what if we combine them into one guy: Draymond Green.

He's a proven winner.
He brings a much needed attitude to this team and Monty might be one of the few guys that can keep him focused.
He's clutch.
He's only 29.

I get that he might be a system talent and that he'll cost a ton, but there's no denying he is the glue to that Championship team. He does a ton of dirty work.

Oh, and I probably should have led off that I hate Draymond Green. But I love winning more.
I guess the primary reason is that he still has another year on his contract, and if the Warriors trade him, they are breaking up their championship chemistry big time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Green doesn't fit the Suns timeline and I'm not giving the Warriors anything good for him.

I don't see the Warriors wanting to trade him anyway.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Green doesn't fit the Suns timeline and I'm not giving the Warriors anything good for him.

Before you can look down the road at the timeline, you have to do a U-turn and start to head in the right direction.

Beep beep :!:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

He's a proven winner.
He's clutch.
He's only 29.

My only observation is, if you hate JJ getting untimely technicals, you'll really hate Draymond's. I have watched too much of that over the years, and he doesn't seem to be getting any wiser.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

I'm not sure the cost, but most of our commodities at this point are "commodities". I could part with all these parts that don't win us anything for someone that's been productive.

Steph and Klay will cost a fortune to keep (minus $30M because Klay got screwed). There is still the slightest possibility that KD stays. They may be forced to trade Green which could drive down the cost.

(As for the timeline that you suggest, that would mean Jrue would be out of the discussion as well. I could be wrong, but I'd bet that James Jones isn't considering limiting himself for a hypothetical timeline.)

Again, the dude drives me nuts, but so did Danny Ainge. And I eventually grew to love him. Right now Draymond sits comfortably behind Mario Elie and Greg Anthony as my most hated player. At least Draymond is ACTUALLY a good player.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
My only observation is, if you hate JJ getting untimely technicals, you'll really hate Draymond's. I have watched too much of that over the years, and he doesn't seem to be getting any wiser.
Goodness do I agree. Rasheed Wallace reincarnate. But when he quits his "crying" the dude can ball.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the cost, but most of our commodities at this point are "commodities". I could part with all these parts that don't win us anything for someone that's been productive.

Steph and Klay will cost a fortune to keep (minus $30M because Klay got screwed). There is still the slightest possibility that KD stays. They may be forced to trade Green which could drive down the cost.

(As for the timeline that you suggest, that would mean Jrue would be out of the discussion as well. I could be wrong, but I'd bet that James Jones isn't considering limiting himself for a hypothetical timeline.)

Again, the dude drives me nuts, but so did Danny Ainge. And I eventually grew to love him. Right now Draymond sits comfortably behind Mario Elie and Greg Anthony as my most hated player. At least Draymond is ACTUALLY a good player.

Of the two options you present (Green and Holiday), I would prefer Holiday better as he would fit well next to Booker. However, I'm not for chasing after either especially for the cost it would likely represent. Green is the type player a team adds to get them over the top. The Suns are not there yet.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson