Off-Season Extension Candidates

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I was not impressed when they signed Froholdt and his lack of experience has shown up this season. However, after watching several games I get it and I would extend him. Here’s the deal. I think despite the weakness of the defense this year, that side of the ball will be the major offseason focus, at least in terms of numbers. I think Gannon wants a strong defense (his forte’) with an offense that has a dominant run game. They will be mostly opportunistic with the passing game. Vaguely like the Ravens. McBride has shaken up those plans a little and if they do get Harrison, the thinking has shifted somewhat based on personnel. They’d be more balanced.

Where Froholdt comes in is that he might already be the best pulling center in the league. He is very athletic and reasonably strong. I believe they think the rest of his game will develop. So he’s a keeper. He can help the run game truly disrupt the defense. Those plays produce overloads that are hard to defend against. I don’t think they draft or sign anyone other than possibly as a backup.

As to the other 3 guys, I’m okay with adding one additional year to Hernandez, but he’s not a star in the making. I like the way White plays, but he’s got to improve his pass defense. That’s a lot to ask of a vet. I vote no on Conner. If he continues to be solid, he’ll stay with the Cards as their offense suits his game.

I would also extend Gardeck and Dimukeje if the price is right. Gardeck is important situationally and on special teams. He a leader of value as well. Dimukeje is a solid, flexible backup.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was not impressed when they signed Froholdt and his lack of experience has shown up this season. However, after watching several games I get it and I would extend him. Here’s the deal. I think despite the weakness of the defense this year, that side of the ball will be the major offseason focus, at least in terms of numbers. I think Gannon wants a strong defense (his forte’) with an offense that has a dominant run game. They will be mostly opportunistic with the passing game. Vaguely like the Ravens. McBride has shaken up those plans a little and if they do get Harrison, the thinking has shifted somewhat based on personnel. They’d be more balanced.

Where Froholdt comes in is that he might already be the best pulling center in the league. He is very athletic and reasonably strong. I believe they think the rest of his game will develop. So he’s a keeper. He can help the run game truly disrupt the defense. Those plays produce overloads that are hard to defend against. I don’t think they draft or sign anyone other than possibly as a backup.

As to the other 3 guys, I’m okay with adding one additional year to Hernandez, but he’s not a star in the making. I like the way White plays, but he’s got to improve his pass defense. That’s a lot to ask of a vet. I vote no on Conner. If he continues to be solid, he’ll stay with the Cards as their offense suits his game.

I would also extend Gardeck and Dimukeje if the price is right. Gardeck is important situationally and on special teams. He a leader of value as well. Dimukeje is a solid, flexible backup.

Nice compliment and good that you noted this strength, but I think the guy in Philly is still #1.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These guys are not star level players. But they are the belly of the team. They would not be exciting extensions. And, if we extended them all we would do next to nothing when it comes to going out and getting guys. Not that it would have to be that way, but it is Bidwill's MO. However, it could help us not do something lame like drafting an OG in round 1.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
These guys are not star level players. But they are the belly of the team. They would not be exciting extensions. And, if we extended them all we would do next to nothing when it comes to going out and getting guys. Not that it would have to be that way, but it is Bidwill's MO. However, it could help us not do something lame like drafting an OG in round 1.

But I doubt it's MONTI's who has responsibility for managing football operations.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I doubt it's MONTI's who has responsibility for managing football operations.
We'll see how different it really is. Bidwill still has the checkbook. The history has either been big on extensions or big on outside guys. It's never been both really. Bill Sr did little of either however.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right??

Re sign those guys and still have enough to entice Chris Jones, Josh Allen, and a middling vet corner
Lol. I wish. I will believe it when I see it. We just don't lay out that much guaranteed money in a year. Those of us who dropped our season tickets for this have people from the ticket office personally calling us and asking us to come back.

Does that sound like a franchise with a blank checkbook in free agency to you?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Lol. I wish. I will believe it when I see it. We just don't lay out that much guaranteed money in a year. Those of us who dropped our season tickets for this have people from the ticket office personally calling us and asking us to come back.

Does that sound like a franchise with a blank checkbook in free agency to you?
Right?
But they have to spend "X" one way or another. Imo building the offense through the draft and using our FA dollars on defense is our fastest path to success.... Except a LG, a FA would be good there...
They were not afraid to spend huge on an aging JJ Watt...seems Chris Jones in his prime is a better use of the same money.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right?
But they have to spend "X" one way or another. Imo building the offense through the draft and using our FA dollars on defense is our fastest path to success.... Except a LG, a FA would be good there...
They were not afraid to spend huge on an aging JJ Watt...seems Chris Jones in his prime is a better use of the same money.
Chris Jones will have a much bigger contract than JJ Watt IMO. But I love the dream.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Chris Jones will have a much bigger contract than JJ Watt IMO. But I love the dream.
Probably...I saw an article that projected Jones at 4 years 120mil..30mil a year .. didn't we give JJ 33mil??
Rarity for me.....but I'm fine with giving Jones 30 to 33 mil a year... maybe even as much as 35....
5 years at 165mil...with 60mil guaranteed... It's a lot...but he makes every other guy on the defense betteri just looked it up... apparently we only gave JJ 14mil a year...could have sworn it was more

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson