Ossenfort is Kicking the Hornets’ Nest in this Draft.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
you know what lots of pressures and TFLs, but not a lot of sacks gets you?

Jadaveon Clowney. A good but not great player. Clearly a disappointment for being drafted 1st. A disappointment even being drafted top 10.

maybe Anderson takes the next step, If so, great. If he doesnt - he is a solid, complimentary OLB / DE that teams find outside the first round --
So then why do so many people want Chop Robinson? By your metrics he's like a 3rd round prospect.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Can you guys at least not judge on whether we won or loss the PJ/Will trade after one season

Obviously fans are going to rate the trade on an ongoing basis; it will be decided for sure if/when PJ gets a second contract with the Cards and/or Will Anderson becomes an All-Pro.

Completely biased take.

What is the bias toward/against?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yep. When you include future picks in a trade deal you typically value those picks as the last pick in that round.
exactly.
But did I, along with many others spend the entirity of last summer thinking we would have two top five picks this year??

also exactly. The hopium was there while it lasted. But having sour grapes over the texans season does not mean we got screwed. It just did not work out as well as it could have.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
So then why do so many people want Chop Robinson? By your metrics he's like a 3rd round prospect.
at 27 or 35

top 5: to meet expectations, i want 12+ sacks a year -- Montez Sweat /Aiden Hutchinson territory

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
PJJ was an LT in college or did he play RT in college too? Switching positions your rookie season will make your college to pro transition more difficult.
true. switching sides is difficult. Yet PB&J did a great job even with the added difficulty. Thats a point in the "good pick" column

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Trading down and having it work out.
I guess? I mean you were disappointed in the result of the trade down; the pick underperformed what your expectation was. Now you're okay with it now; Stout isn't. I don't think anyone's opinions are fixed in stone.

If the #27 pick turns out to be a Pro Bowl-caliber player, we'll obviously re-evaluate the trade because we have more data.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
at 27 or 35

top 5: to meet expectations, i want 12+ sacks a year -- Montez Sweat /Aiden Hutchinson territory
agree...a top five pick edge player has to be double digit sacks for several years to be considered a solid pick...excepting the rookie season

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Aiden Hutchinson has never had 12 sacks in a season; he averages 10.5.

In his five-year career, Montez Sweat has had double-digit sacks in a season once -- last year. He's outperformed Will Anderson's rookie season just three times (had the same seven sacks his rookie year).

I just don't know what you're talking about here.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
as an aside -- lost in the DROY / rookie sack thing:

the leader was Kobie Turner of the Rams with 9. DT out of Wake Forest.
2nd was Byron Young with 8 of........ the effin Rams (and who probably should have won DROY)

maybe its the Aaron Donald effect, but still.

add Puca Nucua to the mix, and Les Snead did an all timer

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
you know what lots of pressures and TFLs, but not a lot of sacks gets you?

Jadaveon Clowney. A good but not great player. Clearly a disappointment for being drafted 1st. A disappointment even being drafted top 10.

maybe Anderson takes the next step, If so, great. If he doesnt - he is a solid, complimentary OLB / DE that teams find outside the first round --
where was the texans defense ranked at the end of 2022? pre-anderson?

and where was the texans defense ranked at the end of 2023? after-anderson?

hint: he made a pretty big difference

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess? I mean you were disappointed in the result of the trade down; the pick underperformed what your expectation was. Now you're okay with it now; Stout isn't. I don't think anyone's opinions are fixed in stone.
Except he wasn't okay with it at the time either.
If the #27 pick turns out to be a Pro Bowl-caliber player, we'll obviously re-evaluate the trade because we have more data.
Of course.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
where was the texans defense ranked at the end of 2022? pre-anderson?

and where was the texans defense ranked at the end of 2023? after-anderson?

hint: he made a pretty big difference
Will Anderson
2023 - 7 sacks - 45 tackles - TFL - 10 - QB hits - 22

Jonathan Greenard
Sacks: 2022 - 1.5
2023 - 12.5 sacks - 52 tackles - TFL - 15 - QB hits - 22

The guy who made a bigger difference.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Will Anderson

Jonathan Greenard

Yup...team sport...adding talent at one position can improve the results of another.
This is known.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Will Anderson

Jonathan Greenard

did you even read what i wrote? it was about the impact anderson made on the texans - from one of the worst defenses in the league to 14th with a playoff win - in one single year

what does jonathan greenard have to do with any of that? are you saying the vikings improved more overall as a team in one season - with greenard than the texans did with anderson? is greenard leading the viking's defense as a captain?

or are you saying you'd take greenard > anderson?

or are you just copy pasting some stats and calling it a day?