Off-Season Extension Candidates

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We are at the end of a bummer year and honestly, not many of our own FA are looking like priority signings, and so I wanted to look at the players we do have who might be candidates for extensions.

1 - Will Hernandez. Will has had a pretty good year. He seems to be a solid fit for our running scheme. He is still only 28 and has only played under 90% of offensive snaps once in his entire career. OTC puts his expected contract number at 7.8 mil per year. Seems like a solid use of contract dollars when the lines are the priority.

2 - Kyzir White was brought in as the potential captain of the defense and someone who already knew the system. He has been a home run with both. Played a ton of snaps. Has made some big plays in games. He is 27 and his contract projection from OTC is 6.1 mil. An easy extension decision if you ask me.

3 - Hjalte Froholdt. This one is for sure more controversial but warrants consideration. OTC has his value at 4.7 mil and he will be 28. The thought here is that an extension ensures stability at C at worst and if you decide to move off of him because you draft an awesome C in 2025, it is easy to cut him.

EDIT: All of these players are under contract for 2024. The idea is they have longer term value than just a single year, and it would be prudent to lock them up before the last year of their current contract begins.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White is under contract next year. I assume you mean long term extension with him? I'm down for that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Did you sour on your James Conner extension idea? I'm fine extending all these guys to get some additional guaranteed money in their pockets and provide some roster security after 2024.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
4 - James Conner. Heading into the last year of his contract, Conner is still a critical part of the offense. Most would agree he will miss games and needs complimentary backs around him, and so his contract would need to reflect that. OTC puts his value at 4.3 mil per year. Maybe Conner would trade a two year extension to his age 31 season for a little less per year than his 8.4 mil due in 2024.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
We are at the end of a bummer year and honestly, not many of our own FA are looking like priority signings, and so I wanted to look at the players we do have who might be candidates for extensions.

1 - Will Hernandez. Will has had a pretty good year. He seems to be a solid fit for our running scheme. He is still only 28 and has only played under 90% of offensive snaps once in his entire career. OTC puts his expected contract number at 7.8 mil per year. Seems like a solid use of contract dollars when the lines are the priority.

2 - Kyzir White was brought in as the potential captain of the defense and someone who already knew the system. He has been a home run with both. Played a ton of snaps. Has made some big plays in games. He is 27 and his contract projection from OTC is 6.1 mil. An easy extension decision if you ask me.

3 - Hjalte Froholdt. This one is for sure more controversial but warrants consideration. OTC has his value at 4.7 mil and he will be 28. The thought here is that an extension ensures stability at C at worst and if you decide to move off of him because you draft an awesome C in 2025, it is easy to cut him.

Thanks Chopper!

Great topic to disccuss, and just yesterday I was thinking if Hernendez should be our RGOTF.

1. He's playing very well this year.
2. He's signed through 2024.
3. He'll be 28 or so when he's up for extension after next year.

It's the last point that makes it kind of a difficult decision. 28+ is a little long in the tooth.

But assuming he plays well in 2024, I would vote for a two year extension that gave the team flexbility to move on from him after 2025 if his play or durbility really decreased that year.

For Frodholt it's a very similar scenrio I guess, except that he has a little less milage on his frame since he hasn't been playing football his whole life (I believe that's correct). So for him I'd definitley be willing to give a two year extension. I think he can be our C at least through 2025.

This is really a great result for us since it's two less positions that are up in the air for 2024.

Kyzir White - A market two year extension

James Conner - A market two year extension, with some flexability for year two.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
4 - James Conner. Heading into the last year of his contract, Conner is still a critical part of the offense. Most would agree he will miss games and needs complimentary backs around him, and so his contract would need to reflect that. OTC puts his value at 4.3 mil per year. Maybe Conner would trade a two year extension to his age 31 season for a little less per year than his 8.4 mil due in 2024.
As much as I love Conner, hard pass on extending him..maybe restructuring him w an extension. Running backs fall off a very steep cliff after age 29… very few exceptions.. injuries on top of that. Ooof sounds like a waste of money

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A bunch of dudes on this roster are going to get huge year-end bonuses from the NFL's performance-based-pay program.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
No to extending Conner.

Not because of injuries, but because of age & we desperately need to get faster at the RB position.

I mean it would be nice if we spent some draft capital on a RB with a little bit of a pedigree.

Doesn't have to be Bijan Robinson but, you know, some one who put up some nice numbers at the D1 level.

Like you said, someone who could maximize the yardage avaialble from the gaping holes this oline has been opening up.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Thanks Chopper!

Great topic to disccuss, and just yesterday I was thinking if Hernendez should be our RGOTF.

It's the last point that makes it kind of a difficult decision. 28+ is a little long in the tooth.

But assuming he plays well in 2024, I would vote for a two year extension that gave the team flexbility to move on from him after 2025 if his play or durbility really decreased that year.

For Frodholt it's a very similar scenrio I guess, except that he has a little less milage on his frame since he hasn't been playing football his whole life (I believe that's correct). So for him I'd definitley be willing to give a two year extension. I think he can be our C at least through 2025.

This is really a great result for us since it's two less positions that are up in the air for 2024.

Ehh .... Most linemen can play well to 34 .... Extend Hernandez through age 33 and we should be good

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Ehh .... Most linemen can play well to 34 .... Extend Hernandez through age 33 and we should be good

Hmmm.. Justin Pugh is 33. (just one guy I know but he's the first player I think about when I think of older olineman).

Of course Olineman really take a beating every game oaken1. Every play.

Just my humble opinion but I'm not sure it's wise to give 30yr old + lineman multi-year contracts. Not for any kind of real money at least.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No argument here.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll Take JC at 5.0 YPC and 4.3 last year…. RB by committee is a thing and I’m still down with adding speed. But I wouldn’t even consider an extension till end of next year to see if the production trend continues. Although now that MC is on the team we may already have the speed. Hard to say need to see more of him.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.. Justin Pugh is 33. (just one guy I know but he's the first player I think about when I think of older olineman).

Just my humble opinion but I'm not sure it's wise to give 30yr old + lineman multi-year contracts. Not for any kind of real money at least.
Pugh is finally healthy and started 9 straight games for the Giants after coming out of retirement. His issues was/are injuries.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

a quick google search will show you that 3 of the top 5 offensive tackles and 4 of the top 5 guards are over 33.... oline is a position where physical maturity and experience keep guys playing...much like DT....

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Chopper!

28+ is hardly long in the tooth for an offensive lineman.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
a quick google search will show you that 3 of the top 5 offensive tackles and 4 of the top 5 guards are over 33.... oline is a position where physical maturity and experience keep guys playing...much like DT....
Hmmm it seems you’re correct oaken1. Top three o-lineman according to a list I found on SI are:

Trent Williams = 35
Lane Johnson = 33
Zach Martin = 31 (or so).

So! Very enlightening, thank you for the discussion.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hmmm it seems you’re correct oaken1. Top three o-lineman according to a list I found on SI are:

Trent Williams = 35
Lane Johnson = 33
Zach Martin = 31 (or so).

So! Very enlightening, thank you for the discussion.
I think....although human males meet full physical maturity at 25...they also continue to gain strength in certain areas...what we call "old man strength" around these parts(35 obviously isn't old)...combine that with hand placement and growing understanding of leverage and it covers well for any loss in twitch movements for a while.... all the nfl "Big men" positions seem to benefit from it....except the speed rush DE