Nash article on NBA.com

Yotesfan85044

Registered
Reaction score
Reading Nash's comments regarding the Suns financial situation and its ability to compete with other teams having deeper pockets, it sounds like he's leaning towards free agency in 2010. If that's the case, why is Kerr not considering any trades involving Nash? This team isn't going anywhere in the playoffs, if they even make the playoffs, with or without Nash.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/art_garcia/02/04/western.insider.20090204/index.html

Western Conference Insider: Nash considers future in Phoenix
By Art Garcia, NBA.com
Posted Feb 4 2009 11:27AM

PHOENIX -- There's a lot going on under Steve Nash's stylish coiffure these days. Not only are the Suns wrestling with an identity crisis while dealing with past mistakes, their two-time MVP could be facing a decision on his future with the franchise.

Contract issues aren't exactly top-of-mind right this minute, but they are in there. Nash's attention is focused mainly on the issues that led to a series of soul-searching and clear-the-air meetings in recent days. Phoenix sits on the edge of the Western Conference playoff race.

"We're not a championship team right now," Nash said bluntly.
Whether the Suns can become one will impact the playing future of the globe-trotting Canadian. Phoenix holds Nash's contract option for 2009-10, and it'll be picked up to complete a six-year, $65 million deal. As for 2010 and beyond ...

"I would expect this summer we're going to approach him about an extension," Suns general manager Steve Kerr said. "That's the plan."

Nash knows the plan and Kerr believes that the NBA's best point guard of this decade is open to retiring in the desert. But Kerr is also smart enough not to assume that the analytical Nash is going to sign without measuring his options as precisely as he does his choices on a fast break.

"He may change his mind," Kerr acknowledged. "Maybe this season has worn on him a little bit. Maybe when he's only a year away from free agency, he may be really excited about the thought of being a free agent and what he might be able to get on the open market."

By not signing an extension, Nash would join the much-ballyhooed Class of 2010. And though he'll be 36 years old in the summer of '10, Nash won't be an afterthought in the free-agent feeding frenzy. It's easy to speculate about a reunion with Mike D'Antoni in New York, which doubles as Nash's offseason home. Nash quickly points out that much can change between now and then.

He isn't closing the door on Phoenix. Significant cap room could await the cash-strapped Suns in 2010. But Nash isn't so sure the funds will be there. Using the past few seasons as a guide, Nash said the team's competitiveness and financial standing will influence any decision he makes.

"Definitely," he said. "We're at the point where we've probably overreached by the franchise's philosophy, so I think going forward, especially with the credit crunch, it's not like we're going to go deeper into the cap."

Or perhaps in the playoffs. The Suns (26-20) began Wednesday only a half-game up on ninth-place Utah. Though a good chunk of the league would gladly trade places with Phoenix right now, Planet Orange is after a title.

With a roster featuring former MVPs in Nash and Shaquille O'Neal, plus Amar'e Stoudemire and Jason Richardson, the time in Phoenix is now. The Suns know it as well as anyone.

"We've made the effort to really make a run with this team and make a push," Kerr said. "We did mortgage our future a little bit to do it."

The Suns rolled the dice last season in trading for O'Neal, adding another year of mega-salary ($20 million) to their books. Adding such a burden was complicated for a front office trying to make up for several financial missteps, such as signing Marcus Banks and extending Boris Diaw too early.

In an effort to balance the bottom line, draft picks have been sold and useful players basically given away. Imagine where an aging team -- Nash, Shaq and Grant Hill are in their mid-30s -- would be with young studs Rajon Rondo and Rudy Fernandez, both Suns' picks dealt before ever playing a second for Phoenix. Kurt Thomas was donated to Seattle with two first-round choices.

Nash can understand basketball moves made because of money, but he said those choices need to be factored in when discussing a championship. The Suns simply aren't as talented as they could be because of the monetary constraints of Robert Sarver and his ownership group.

"It's their team and they can do whatever they want," Nash said matter-of-factly. "At the same time, when people are critical of us they should keep in mind we can very easily have a different roster. Go through and look at the players we've given up that were still cheap and very valuable.

"Sometimes you just can't have the same expectations you would in a different situation. You have to realize this organization is run with a business model not to make money or to not lose money -- fiscal responsibility. I respect that and at the same time you can't expect to compete with every team in the world when you have that concern."

Not that Nash is willing to throw in the towel on this team. After feeling underutilized earlier this season operating in new coach Terry Porter's system, the reins have been loosened. Nash led the league in assists in January and had more double-doubles that month than the first two months combined.

"It's getting there. I have good numbers," he said. "I don't shoot the ball as much, so I'm not going to have as many points, but if you look at our roster, someone has to sacrifice."

Sacrifice lies at the center of Nash's frustration. The gap between stars and role players hasn't been worked out yet, and Nash said it's why the Suns haven't reached their potential.

"The biggest thing we have to overcome is the majority of our players are scorers," Nash said. "For the majority of their careers, they were leaned on to score a lot. They weren't necessarily leaned on to do the little things."

That issue and more likely have been raised by management, coaches and players. The Suns may not have the familial feel of seasons past, but Nash hopes it's not too late to find some love.

"We have a lot of talent, so for us to give up on it would be premature and lack commitment and heart," he said. "There's a glimpse of hope with the guys we've got in the locker room. Let's keep working for it and see what happens. If you keep working, maybe you afford yourself a chance for things to fall into place and for good things to happen."

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, does this team stand a chance at getting a tier 1 free agent in 2010? If the word around the NBA is this team cannot "afford" to build a title contending team...we have zero chance of getting a tier 1 free agent.

We have an aging, home grown, former All-Star, future Hall of Fame PG, questioning the viability of this team financially and questioning the ability to build a winning team.

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score
Honestly, does this team stand a chance at getting a tier 1 free agent in 2010? If the word around the NBA is this team cannot "afford" to build a title contending team...we have zero chance of getting a tier 1 free agent.

We have an aging, home grown, former All-Star, future Hall of Fame PG, questioning the viability of this team financially and questioning the ability to build a winning team.

But his commitment to be in position on defense is in question. I wonder if Denver would trade Mr. Big Shot for Nash. Nash sounds unhappy.

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score
Denver wouldn't even consider trading Billups for Nash.IMO

Yeah I know. But can you imagine having him? Nash's stock has really gone down. I think we could only get mid tier talent for him.

Its a shame because he's such a great shooter.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver wouldn't even consider trading Billups for Nash.IMO

Agreed. However, I take CB in a hearbeat over Nash. The guy is a good defender and a good leader IMO.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
"We have a lot of talent, so for us to give up on it would be premature and lack commitment and heart," he said. "There's a glimpse of hope with the guys we've got in the locker room. Let's keep working for it and see what happens. If you keep working, maybe you afford yourself a chance for things to fall into place and for good things to happen."

:yeahthat:

I know most people are ready to trade anyone and everyone and fire the coach but I think it is too soon to blow up this team.

Apparently Nash does as well.

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score

:yeahthat:

I know most people are ready to trade anyone and everyone and fire the coach but I think it is too soon to blow up this team.

Apparently Nash does as well.

This team shouldn't be blown up. We can score with the best of them in the league, but of coarse you know our problem is getting stops and turnovers. The Suns should be branded a charitable organization.
Here are problems:

1. Amare takes off plays. Not committed to rebounding. And continues to turn the ball over with offensive fouls and technical fouls. He is sloppy protecting the ball and turns the ball over.

2. Nash wants to hover around the paint when his man doesn't have the ball. This leads to mediocre players having career games vs the Suns what would seem like every game. And he nullifies alot of his assists because of TO's. So if you have 9 assists and turn the ball over 4 times. You really only have five in my feeble mind.

I think Amare should go. Nash can be worked with but the Mngt. and Porter have to have the balls to coach Nash defensively.

We really don't need to get a scorer as much as a sound rebounder who is mentally tough. We have plenty of scorers.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Honestly, does this team stand a chance at getting a tier 1 free agent in 2010?

When Jerry C ran the team, the answer to that question was a resounding "YES". Phoenix was always a great place; mild winters, good party scene, great golf, good proximity to California, and a fantastic owner who wanted to win and build a 'locker of character'. Today, the last part is very questionable. I have no doubt that Sarver wants to win, but he seems to have a personality that rubs players the wrong way. He and Kerr seem to have a 'Us against them' mentality. The Suns couldn't keep Tim Thomas or Joe Johnson... Jalen Rose was really upset by the time the season was over, and Jim Jackson seemed to be eager to jump ship.

Now the debacle with Terry Porter's system versus D'Antoni players has compounded the issue even more, not to mention Sarver's tight purse strings... I don't see any 'Tier 1' FA signing here.

BUT that doesn't mean 2010 will be a horrible summer for the Suns. Resign Nash, have a good draft pick from the Amare trade, another young player from the Amare trade, J Rich, and a Tier 2 FA... that is a decent building block with a continued 'good product'. Remember, Steve Nash was seen as a 'Tier 2' FA.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
This team shouldn't be blown up. We can score with the best of them in the league, but of coarse you know our problem is getting stops and turnovers. The Suns should be branded a charitable organization.
Here are problems:

1. Amare takes off plays. Not committed to rebounding. And continues to turn the ball over with offensive fouls and technical fouls. He is sloppy protecting the ball and turns the ball over.

2. Nash wants to hover around the paint when his man doesn't have the ball. This leads to mediocre players having career games vs the Suns what would seem like every game. And he nullifies alot of his assists because of TO's. So if you have 9 assists and turn the ball over 4 times. You really only have five in my feeble mind.

I think Amare should go. Nash can be worked with but the Mngt. and Porter have to have the balls to coach Nash defensively.

We really don't need to get a scorer as much as a sound rebounder who is mentally tough. We have plenty of scorers.

We know the Suns have problems and Amare is not playing well.

Unless you get some great deal that improves the team dramatically, which is unlikely, trading Amare would be a mistake at this point.

We have this year and next with Hill, Nash, and Shaq we have a coach that has been on the job for only about 6 months.
If the team is not currently a championship caliber team and is unlikely to become one with another trade or a new coach what is the point of changing before our current window has expired?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said this in a previous post. I still have an ounce of optimism. If we could figure out a way to trade Amare for a PF that maybe isn't as offensively gifted but defends and rebounds better....then you find a way to get it done and take one more run.

That is easier said then done. If you can't find that and plan on blowing up the team, you might as well do it now. There is no reason to wait.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I know. But can you imagine having him? Nash's stock has really gone down. I think we could only get mid tier talent for him.

Its a shame because he's such a great shooter.
Yes, He is my favorite point guard behind Steve Nash, Although i thought his defense was a little bit overrated.
Agreed. However, I take CB in a hearbeat over Nash. The guy is a good defender and a good leader IMO.
Yup, it speaks volumes about Billups leadership that he was able to keep the Denver Nuggets from plummeting into oblivion after Carmelo went down with the hand injury.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, it speaks volumes about Billups leadership that he was able to keep the Denver Nuggets from plummeting into oblivion after Carmelo went down with the hand injury.

Oh please. If another team lost their second star it would be a monumental task.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Yes, He is my favorite point guard behind Steve Nash, Although i thought his defense was a little bit overrated.

Billups is an excellent PG, but his D IS overrated. Rondo ate him up off the dribble in last years playoffs, and I saw him have great difficulty with Felton. Stuckey did a better job on rondo. CB is a good smart ad physical defender that is aging and the young guys can burn him pretty bad now as he has lost a few steps. He spent a good part of his carreer with prince wallace and wallace backing him up, thats a nice luxury that most PG's will never have.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard