Suns Announce Plans for a G-League Team in 2024-25

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns announce plans for a G-League team set to debut in 2024-25.

From NBA.com:

The NBA G League and Phoenix Suns today announced that the Suns have acquired the right to own and operate an NBA G League team, which is set to debut in the 2024-25 season. With today’s announcement, the NBA G League expands to a record 32 teams, while all 30 NBA teams now own or operate an NBA G League affiliate.

“Bringing a G League team to Phoenix was one of my first priorities as owner,” said Phoenix Suns and Phoenix Mercury owner Mat Ishbia. “Adding a G League team creates another area for us to compete to be the best and will be a vital tool to help develop players and coaches. Just like the Suns and Mercury, our G League team will serve as a community asset and make a positive impact on and off the court.”

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I got an email about this from the Suns. They're taking submissions to name the team in honor of how the Suns themselves were named in 68. That's cool.

Overall a huge step in the right direction. I knew it was a formality as it had all but officially announced but I'm glad it's now official and we've got a G-League team starting in the 24-25 season.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns NBA G League team will play its home games in the Phoenix metro area. More details on the venue, as well as the team’s name and logo, will be announced in the spring.

If they really wanted to play the nostalgia factor, play at the Madhouse on McDowell!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping with the solar system theme, Vince Marotta suggested "The Arizona Uranus" and Sarah Kezele almost died laughing in the background on the morning show.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew Mat Ishbia was a big time NBA owner, but I'm beginning to realize he has a vision beyond the Suns.

This should up the stakes for all sports owners in Arizona, lest they be left behind.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always valued the 15th player on the roster.

Mat Ishbia is showing why... Player 15 Group.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He's also letting the fans submit possible team names. I like something unusual like The Arizona Sunrise or The Arizona Heatchecks. Assuming they go with Arizona in the name.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's also letting the fans submit possible team names. I like something unusual like The Arizona Sunrise or The Arizona Heatchecks. Assuming they go with Arizona in the name.
Something tells me it won't be for show either. Wasn't it the D-backs or Cards a long time ago that polled fans for team name then they ignored the results? Maybe it was another team. I swear that happened years ago here with one of our teams.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Something tells me it won't be for show either. Wasn't it the D-backs or Cards a long time ago that polled fans for team name then they ignored the results? Maybe it was another team. I swear that happened years ago here with one of our teams.
Yeah, I want to say it was the Diamondbacks, but not sure.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I read your second idea quickly as “Heatchickens” and immediately fell in love with it. Just ridiculous enough for a G league team.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I want to say it was the Diamondbacks, but not sure.
It could have been maybe a sponsored Arizona Republic poll in the newspaper. I just remember one choice overwhelmingly won that poll.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was coyotes.
I just asked my brother. He seems to recall that it was an Arizona Republic Poll asking the fans what name would they go with if the Cardinals renamed the team. The Cards kept their name. I will take his word for it. My memory of it is vague at best.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like something like the Javelina or Gila Monsters.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heatchickens. No doubt. Where do we vote/nominate the name?