Did You Hear What Paul Calvisi Said On Sports Tonight on Channel 12 about the Cardinals and Marvin Harrison Jr.?

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
After watching the Detroit/LA game last night I am pretty convinced that building the Oline takes priority over one WR. I think the same applies to the Dline too.

Oline
Decker R1 P16
Ragnow R1 P20
Jackson R3 P75
Glasgow R3 p95
Sewell R1 P7

WR
Brown R4 P112
Reynolds R4 P117
Laporta R2 P34
Williams R1 P12

Put a good Oline in front of a QB and he will pick apart the defense. Goff is a good QB but nothing exceptional.

Call me old fashion however I think drafting a tackle with Humphries out for what will probably be all of next season and then coming back in 2025 with rust and a year older, the idea of grabbing a top tackle seems like a good idea. Humphries isn't exactly an iron man either having missed 7 or more games in 3 different seasons, two of which were for knee injuries and one for his back. Humphries may be past his peak years.

I favor Fashanu over Alt because Fashanu is the better pass blocker (zero sacks in 3 seasons) and I think learning how to be a better run blocker is probably easier to learn than becoming a better pass blocker.
I prefer Alt but I agree with your point. The Lions worst WR is Williams, who they took in the top 1/2 of round 1. If you have a good O-Line, and a running game...then a decent QB can be productive with most NFL WR's...they dont have to be elite.

I think the difference for us this year is whether we are planning to draft a LT....meaning someone who is going to come in and start at LT from day 1. If we are, they have to be taken at #4. If we aren't, and we are either moving Paris to LT and drafting a RT/Signing a vet in FA...then that guy could possibly be taken at the Texans pick or #35.

Im tired of thinking about trade downs, because it takes two to tango and we might get crappy offers. I dont want a trade down just for the heck of it. If it works out and we get good return, fine. If not, just stay put at #4 and draft BPA. Its a better overall strategy. There is a reason someone wants to trade UP and get a guy. Why not just take the blue chip player who falls into your lap.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Without comparing MHJ to anyone it seems that he'll be a VG NFL player. The real question, for me, which position, with our first pick, do we need more, WR or OT? Or DT for that matter.
We need DL...but none are worth the #4 pick. WR is probably next and OT is third. Since we drafted Paris last year, we have options at OT. I could easily see the plan being to move him to LT and sign a Vet at RT.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Without comparing MHJ to anyone it seems that he'll be a VG NFL player. The real question, for me, which position, with our first pick, do we need more, WR or OT? Or DT for that matter.
IMO we also have to look at draft composition...plus we dont know what they were thinking in regarrds to players already...did they love Hump or were they thinking of replacing him?? If they loved him then maybe a 1 year rental on a FA is the answer...if they were considering replacing him anyway then it makes more sense to do it in the draft...
saw an interview with PJJ where he said he will train both sides this off season just in case...there was no indication he ever expected he would be moved to LT,,,lots of confusion around our OT situation right now...I would draft a guy, but let Hump heal up and play his way back on the field if he can...then trade him.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I will agree he looks very Fitz like to me.

But there are always 5 guys that good in the NFL, and 15 guys nearly that good.

The way people are talking about MHJ is almost like he will be a top 5 receiver of all time, and I don't see that because he appears to slow to be that kind of weapon.
lol. Hes probably the fastest top receiver in the draft.
Some schmo might run a faster time but Marvin has elite speed.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I expect vast improvement. Counting stats are nice and all, but if he can become a difference maker in year two that will be good.
This sounds a lot like, this is going to be Andy Isabella or Rondale Moores going to break out next year posts to me.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
lol. Hes probably the fastest top receiver in the draft.
Some schmo might run a faster time but Marvin has elite speed.
He was clocked at 22.2 mph with GPS last season. Very good game speed.

Fastest dude was the LSU QB at like 23.4 mph...

Track speed in shorts is fine. But game speed iza hole nuther animal

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Did any of you hear what Paul Calvisi said yesterday on Sports Tonight on Channel twelve? He said that he knows that this is going to disappoint a lot of fans, but the Cardinals are unlikely to pick Marvin Harrison Jr. if he is there at #4 in the upcoming draft.
Instead, they are much more likely to trade down for more draft capital and build the offensive and defensive lines.
I was so depressed after hearing this.
I have been so excited knowing that the
Cardinals might be in position to take a generational talent in MHJ. The next
Larry Fitzgerald, Randy Moss, Etc. I wanted so badly to have something to look forward to watching for many years to come. Although, I do agree that the team needs to build strong lines I feel that it can be addressed through this draft and the upcoming free agent period. Dear Cardinals Brass (aka Monti, JG, and Bidwill), please give us something to be excited about for years to come and draft Marvin Harrison Jr. at #4 if you have the opportunity to do so!
That would be so freaking stupid. Ugh.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it completely depends on the trade that is offered. If QB's go top 3...then the trade most likely isnt going to be a huge haul. If not then getting more midround picks and picks next year could be too enticing.

As much as I love MHJ and want him to be the pick, we do have to remember that this team has a pretty extreme lack of talent compared to most NFL rosters, and at least at this point, we are not going to be able to sign the big name FA...we have the money, they wont want to come here. You have to win consistently for a lot of players to want to sign with you. They are going to get paid anywhere they go.

My only fear is that we trade down too far and miss out on a blue chip player at a position of need.

If QBs go top three there is very little incentive for any other team to move up.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For a somewhat raw player like ojulari training camp and offseason workouts are very important. Due to his injury, he fell way behind and honestly never recovered.

He did have flashes but needs to be way more consistent
It’s not like math class where if you fall behind you’re playing catch up because concepts build in one and other. The season is 18 weeks long. Those flashes were few and far between.

I’m not writing him off. He was the youngest player drafted/in nfl (?), but his rookie season left a LOT to be desired.