Suns Announce Plans for a G-League Team in 2024-25

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I had it with "HeatStrokes", but I agree it has to be the heat chickens. It's just too stupid not to choose that one.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Xerocole

(sounds like zirocole)

A xerocole, is a general term referring to any animal that is adapted to live in a desert. The main challenges xerocoles must overcome are lack of water and excessive heat. To conserve water they avoid evaporation and concentrate excretions.

I like this handle because players straight up have to adapt to living here but it's a great place to thrive

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read your second idea quickly as “Heatchickens” and immediately fell in love with it. Just ridiculous enough for a G league team.

I would love Heat Chickens!

I bought gear for and constantly rep the Rocket City Trash Pandas and the Savannah Bananas just because of the team names and logos. I’d totally rep the Heat Chickens.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something tells me it won't be for show either. Wasn't it the D-backs or Cards a long time ago that polled fans for team name then they ignored the results? Maybe it was another team. I swear that happened years ago here with one of our teams.
Diamondbacks did it.

Team names vary, and while they're often named after the city they are based in, sometimes the state or even region takes part in deciding the overall team name. To choose a name, a submission content was held. Most of the names future fans sent in reflected an animal known to the state, and it ultimately came down to Diamondbacks and Scorpions as the two most chosen names. Despite most of the board picking Scorpions, Colangelo's reported fear of scorpions (and the scary logo drawn for it) led to his final decision that Diamondbacks was going to be the team's official name. It couldn't be more fitting, as Arizona is home to over a dozen rattlesnake species, including the diamondback.

Read More: https://www.grunge.com/721801/this-is-how-the-arizona-diamondbacks-got-their-name/

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would love Heat Chickens!

I bought gear for and constantly rep the Rocket City Trash Pandas and the Savannah Bananas just because of the team names and logos. I’d totally rep the Heat Chickens.

Heat Chickens submitted!
Lol. They aren’t going to know what hit ‘em.

A HEAT CHICKEN, that’s what hit ‘em!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's also letting the fans submit possible team names. I like something unusual like The Arizona Sunrise or The Arizona Heatchecks. Assuming they go with Arizona in the name.
Ironic, considering that they are the only major sports franchise in the state that still goes by Phoenix and not Arizona.

Which one of these is not like the others?

Arizona Cardinals
Arizona Coyotes
Arizona Diamondbacks
Phoenix Suns

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
thought about it - the potential logo and merch for the heat chickens could be phenomenal - they could do a whole separate contest for the logo design alone and that would be hilarious

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ironic, considering that they are the only major sports franchise in the state that still goes by Phoenix and not Arizona.

Which one of these is not like the others?

Arizona Cardinals
Arizona Coyotes
Arizona Diamondbacks
Phoenix Suns
idky the Yotes changed from Phoenix to Az, the previous had a better ring to it. So did the Cards back in the day.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
thought about it - the potential logo and merch for the heat chickens could be phenomenal - they could do a whole separate contest for the logo design alone and that would be hilarious
I want to see your guy do a glass Heat chicken pendant.

Regardless of what they name them now, they will always be the heat chickens to me.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Solar Power (ripe for sponsorships)
48s
Saguaros
Wranglers
Outlaws
Hotshots (works better for basketball than football IMO, and goes well with the Suns)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solar Power (ripe for sponsorships)
48s
Saguaros
Wranglers
Outlaws
Hotshots (works better for basketball than football IMO, and goes well with the Suns)
I like Hotshots and loved the old Arizona Outlaws (USFL) so I would be down with that as well.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I just submitted my entries - the Valley Fever and the Sonoran Dogs

I would also endorse -

Hotshots
Scorpions
Wranglers
Outlaws
Arizona Rangers
Saguaros
Miners