Jon Leuer

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Per AZ Sports Jon Leuer is acquired from the Grizzlies for #44 selection Andrew Harrison.

I was wondering if they were going to try and corner the market on Kentucky guards.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He could end up being a decent player. He's 6'10-11 or so and has range. I think he could be a better version of Kaminsky when all is said and done. They are similar players but I think Leuer is a better rebounder and being in Memphis for a year probably helped him develop some more of an inside traditional "big man/inside" game. Whether he got a lot of minutes or not he still practiced with a team that lived by their defense and focused their offense on their bigs.

He could have a Plumlee type of impact in that he didn't play much where he was before but could make an immediate impact because of necessity for the Suns needing a PF/C. He didn't get an opportunity playing behind Randolph, Gasol, Koufos, Jeff Green, and the other talent in Memphis.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He could end up being a decent player. He's 6'10-11 or so and has range. I think he could be a better version of Kaminsky when all is said and done. They are similar players but I think Leuer is a better rebounder and being in Memphis for a year probably helped him develop some more of an inside traditional "big man/inside" game. Whether he got a lot of minutes or not he still practiced with a team that lived by their defense and focused their offense on their bigs.

He could have a Plumlee type of impact in that he didn't play much where he was before but could make an immediate impact because of necessity for the Suns needing a PF/C. He didn't get an opportunity playing behind Randolph, Gasol, Koufos, Jeff Green, and the other talent in Memphis.

Um. really? a better version of Kaminsky seems to be a very high evaluation.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I suspect they picked up Leuer in the hopes that he will become a stretch 4. Year before last he shot 3's at a .469 clip (not a typo) in 48 attempts. The Grizz needed shooting like that this year just past but her didn't deliver, falling off to .241 in about 30 attempts.

Other than that he's a passable backup PF on the offensive end and rebounds at 8.5/36 fpr jos career. Doesn't turn the ball over a lot. He's not a shotblocker but I can't speak about his overall defense - he doesn't have sparkling numbers in the tracking data defense at the rim.

He's probably this years Tolliver but there is the chance he could come to life from 3 point range.

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
He had a couple double digit scoring games last year.

Still a young player maybe with some upside given minutes.
Reminds me of a smaller faster Plumlee with range.

Even if he is a camp body he has a better opportunity to contribute this year than a rookie second round pick.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He had a couple double digit scoring games last year.

Still a young player maybe with some upside given minutes.
Reminds me of a smaller faster Plumlee with range.

Even if he is a camp body he has a better opportunity to contribute this year than a rookie second round pick.

Exactly. He's a practice body who can backup 5-10 min. a game when necessary. They turned a mid 2nd round pick into something potentially useful.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Um. really? a better version of Kaminsky seems to be a very high evaluation.

I think Kaminsky will be a bust. At absolute best he'll put up Spencer Hawes numbers. He seemed to be the great white hope of this draft like Jimmer Fredette, JJ Reddick, Adam Morrison, and such of the past. He doesn't have the shot those players do and also doesn't have a great inside game so that's why I think he'll be like Hawes at best.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Kaminsky will be a bust. At absolute best he'll put up Spencer Hawes numbers. He seemed to be the great white hope of this draft like Jimmer Fredette, JJ Reddick, Adam Morrison, and such of the past. He doesn't have the shot those players do and also doesn't have a great inside game so that's why I think he'll be like Hawes at best.

his +.400 3pt % ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunshooter

Registered
Reaction score
2015-16 is not guaranteed if waived before June 30, 2015.

this is the answer.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good move by the Suns, I like this guy. Way more ready to help the team than anyone we'd get at 44

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
his +.400 3pt % ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's a Senior who shot 40% in his final season from the college 3. 37% his Junior, 31% his Sophmore, and 28% his Freshman. He shot 36% for his NCAA career, which isn't great. He might hit 35% in the pro's but he won't make more than 1-2 game, similar to Channing Frye's best season. I don't think he can play well against opposing Centers but along side Al Jefferson, if they hold onto him, they might be an ok tandem on offense but they will be a horrible defensive frontcourt.

Compare Leuer's college stats with Kaminsky's

Leuer
You must be registered for see images attach

Kaminsky
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the video above is an example of why the Suns like him. He can move with the ball and can shoot from the outside. I think the Suns see him a a potential guy or worst case scenario a solid backup. I have a feeling they are going to give him some minutes to find out what they have before his contract is up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The puzzling thing for me, is that Leuer should be more than a million dollar a year player. He was the player who dropped 23/9/3 game against the Suns last season. He has good mobility and a shooting touch for a big man. In a good way, he reminds me of Aron Baynes of the Spurs. I think the Suns were lucky to get him from the Grizzlies for a second round pick. In a way, the Suns draft went well but in reverse than the way I thought. Getting a shooting guard and then a big man.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The puzzling thing for me, is that Leuer should be more than a million dollar a year player. He was the player who dropped 23/9/3 game against the Suns last season. He has good mobility and a shooting touch for a big man. In a good way, he reminds me of Aron Baynes of the Spurs. I think the Suns were lucky to get him from the Grizzlies for a second round pick. In a way, the Suns draft went well but in reverse than the way I thought. Getting a shooting guard and then a big man.

He has played behind a pretty good front line in Memphis. He is going to get real opportunity in Phoenix, especially if we do not bring back Wright, and Markieff is suspended at all.

I am looking forward to seeing what this kid has.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has played behind a pretty good front line in Memphis. He is going to get real opportunity in Phoenix, especially if we do not bring back Wright, and Markieff is suspended at all.

I am looking forward to seeing what this kid has.

I think Leuer will provide good depth for the Suns frontline. I'm still hoping the Suns are able to keep Brandan Wright. I guess giving up a potential first round pick for him is still a motivator for me.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He runs and moves with his toes angled out, just like LeBron. Doesnt mean anything. Just a quirk.

He is certainly not a big stiff. He is more of a combo forward than a pf/c.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns want to bang, they can play Leuer at PF next to Len. I don't know how it would work in reality but it is nice to have this option.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Suns want to bang, they can play Leuer at PF next to Len. I don't know how it would work in reality but it is nice to have this option.

He is more of a pf than a c. His nicknames that has stuck is "Jonny Badger"

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson