My rankings at #4 and #27.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Some notes:

This is based on a fairly small amount of video clips. I will have to do a lot more research, and that will obviously reflect my opinions and rankings. So, take this for what it is worth. It is just my current thoughts, and it will change up until my yearly and only mock draft in April.

This is my Cards board. I once again urge you to consider that every media analyst is making general rankings, while you and me are focusing on players for the Cardinals. It is not the same, and logically, it should make a difference. And also, these rankings are my opinion. It is not like they are coordinated with more well-known analysts.

It would make me a bit sad if they used their first selection on an OT, and I would prefer that they didn’t address it in the first round. I think it was Kerouac that mentioned how most playoff teams this year have found quality OTs in other ways than the first round.

Obviously, I would have more players ranked for #27 if I had not projected what I consider realistic targets. For example, I expect players such as CB Terrion Arnold (Alabama), WR Malik Nabers (LSU), and EDGE Laiatu Latu (UCLA) to be long gone before #27, so there was no reason to include them.

----------------

WR Marvin Harrison (Ohio State)
– it always makes me highly skeptical – borderline terrified - of a prospect when people start to talk about him as “a sure thing” or “generational talent.” In one way it indicates a basic misunderstanding of how the draft works, as there is no such thing as a sure draft pick. Thus, it also always makes me worry what is wrong with that player, because there is something. From getting the label, said prospect can only disappoint, and what does that do to him? The expectations from everyone are that he will start as All Pro and end in Hall of Fame, and can he deal with that? That said, Marvin Harrison certainly is a very good player, and he might help Murray take the next step.

WR Rome Odunze (Washington) – Equally good fit as Harrison – just a slightly worse prospect.

EDGE Jared Verse (Florida State) – Best fit and characteristic of any defender in regard to what Gannon, and (presumably) Ossenfort looks for. Verse is not only a great edge rusher, but he plays violent and relentless.

-------------------------

CB Kool-Aid McKinstry (Alabama)
– Based on which players Gannon used the most with the Eagles, it would seem that McKinstry is a fantastic fit. In fact, I might at least consider him at #4.

DT T’Vondre Sweat (Texas) – The floor for him seems to be a great run defender, and occasionally he is completely unblockable as a pass rusher too. His fit seems natural in the middle of the d-line.

EDGE Chop Robinson (Penn State) – Gannon had a lot of success with Haason Reddick in Philly, and he and Robinson are somewhat comparable. It could be great.

DT Leonard Taylor (Miami) – I don’t think it is crazy to argue that Taylor could have the biggest potential of any DT in this class.

IOL Graham Barton (Duke) – I have been impressed with Hjalte Froholdt at center, but I think that left guard is a big need. If Barton is an option, I think you have to consider it, and then figure out who plays C and who plays LG.

IOL Troy Fautanu (Washington) – Much of the same arguments as with Barton, though with Fautanu the question would be if he should play left guard or right tackle.

CB Ennis Rakestraw (Missouri) – If it is any indication of Ossenfort’s thoughts, almost all of the early round CBs drafted by the Patriots and Titans, when he was there, was in the same mold as Rakestraw. And I like that type, by the way.

WR Xavier Leggett (South Carolina) – He is kind of a one-year wonder, but you have to respect his last season where he broke out. I would actually be thrilled to have him instead of Rondale Moore, but I think it would be overkill to go with a WR both at #4 and here. If they don’t take Harrison or Odunze at #4, then Leggett could become very much in play.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My thoughts are that I don't think Monti drafts a DB until the 3rd round. I believe Monti is a trenches guy and we need a ton of help there, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

If he gets a LG and 2 solid DTs and decent Edge in FA and has identified a 2nd day OT he likes then maybe a sliding CB could be the pick at 27.

Last edited:

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I en
No Joe Alt at #4?
I enjoy listening to the Arizona podcasts. I liked what I heard tonight. Harrison was off the board but… the giants call wanting 4 so we take 6 and 39. Cards land 6 alt 27 wr Franklin 35 corner out of Toledo 39 Byron Murphy I would be pumped with this if we could get a burns or Allen to go with it all the better.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we need a true #1 Wr. I just finished watching tape of MJH, Nabers and Odunze. Quite frankly I think all 3 will fit but each are a little different. Actually I think Odunze might be the best. But any of the 3 is my first pick.
I’d prefer an OT with the Texans pick but you can plug in DT OR edge if that is the BPA.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I en

I enjoy listening to the Arizona podcasts. I liked what I heard tonight. Harrison was off the board but… the giants call wanting 4 so we take 6 and 39. Cards land 6 alt 27 wr Franklin 35 corner out of Toledo 39 Byron Murphy I would be pumped with this if we could get a burns or Allen to go with it all the better.

If we don't get MJH, we damn sure better get either Nabers or Odunze. It's a disaster we don't get some top tier talent in our WR room, and the best players FA always cost way too much.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Some notes:

This is based on a fairly small amount of video clips. I will have to do a lot more research, and that will obviously reflect my opinions and rankings. So, take this for what it is worth. It is just my current thoughts, and it will change up until my yearly and only mock draft in April.

This is my Cards board. I once again urge you to consider that every media analyst is making general rankings, while you and me are focusing on players for the Cardinals. It is not the same, and logically, it should make a difference. And also, these rankings are my opinion. It is not like they are coordinated with more well-known analysts.

It would make me a bit sad if they used their first selection on an OT, and I would prefer that they didn’t address it in the first round. I think it was Kerouac that mentioned how most playoff teams this year have found quality OTs in other ways than the first round.

Obviously, I would have more players ranked for #27 if I had not projected what I consider realistic targets. For example, I expect players such as CB Terrion Arnold (Alabama), WR Malik Nabers (LSU), and EDGE Laiatu Latu (UCLA) to be long gone before #27, so there was no reason to include them.

----------------

WR Marvin Harrison (Ohio State)
– it always makes me highly skeptical – borderline terrified - of a prospect when people start to talk about him as “a sure thing” or “generational talent.” In one way it indicates a basic misunderstanding of how the draft works, as there is no such thing as a sure draft pick. Thus, it also always makes me worry what is wrong with that player, because there is something. From getting the label, said prospect can only disappoint, and what does that do to him? The expectations from everyone are that he will start as All Pro and end in Hall of Fame, and can he deal with that? That said, Marvin Harrison certainly is a very good player, and he might help Murray take the next step.

WR Rome Odunze (Washington) – Equally good fit as Harrison – just a slightly worse prospect.
I agree here. I like Alt a lot as well, but the concept of paying too much for OTs a few years from now resonates with me.

MHJ is the best WR prospect in a long time, but if he wasn't in this draft, I think Odunze would still be in play at this pick. Odunze just fits what the Cardinals need.
EDGE Jared Verse (Florida State) – Best fit and characteristic of any defender in regard to what Gannon, and (presumably) Ossenfort looks for. Verse is not only a great edge rusher, but he plays violent and relentless.
I really think this would be a huge stretch here and the Cardinals would be passing up more valuable players taking Verse at #4. Don't get me wrong, I really like Verse but he isn't seen as worthy of going #4. He didn't really improve upon 2022 much at all.
-------------------------

CB Kool-Aid McKinstry (Alabama)
– Based on which players Gannon used the most with the Eagles, it would seem that McKinstry is a fantastic fit. In fact, I might at least consider him at #4.
It's funny that even though the Cardinals need a corner or two, I don't think they should take one in round one because unless they improve the pass rush significantly, I think it's a waste.
DT T’Vondre Sweat (Texas) – The floor for him seems to be a great run defender, and occasionally he is completely unblockable as a pass rusher too. His fit seems natural in the middle of the d-line.
I wouldn't be too opposed, but I think Byron Murphy is viewed as a guy who will be a better pro.
EDGE Chop Robinson (Penn State) – Gannon had a lot of success with Haason Reddick in Philly, and he and Robinson are somewhat comparable. It could be great.
As raw as Chop is, dude has a lightning quick first step and might be the best edge rusher in this draft five years from now. He's a dark horse pick @#27 for me.
DT Leonard Taylor (Miami) – I don’t think it is crazy to argue that Taylor could have the biggest potential of any DT in this class.
Another guy I would consider depending on how the draft and free agency pans out. I think an interior rusher is the #1 need on defense and that the current edge rushers would be more effective.
IOL Graham Barton (Duke) – I have been impressed with Hjalte Froholdt at center, but I think that left guard is a big need. If Barton is an option, I think you have to consider it, and then figure out who plays C and who plays LG.
He's another guy I would consider, because you know he's smart and he did play C his freshman year so he has positional versatility.

I think the Cardinals likely add a veteran and have a competition with Gaines at LG though.
IOL Troy Fautanu (Washington) – Much of the same arguments as with Barton, though with Fautanu the question would be if he should play left guard or right tackle.
I'd probably want Fatanu more because he is a mauling OT and he could fill RT and move PJJ to LT.
CB Ennis Rakestraw (Missouri) – If it is any indication of Ossenfort’s thoughts, almost all of the early round CBs drafted by the Patriots and Titans, when he was there, was in the same mold as Rakestraw. And I like that type, by the way.
Same comment as Kool Aid. I just don't think the value is right unless the pass rush is fixed.
WR Xavier Leggett (South Carolina) – He is kind of a one-year wonder, but you have to respect his last season where he broke out. I would actually be thrilled to have him instead of Rondale Moore, but I think it would be overkill to go with a WR both at #4 and here. If they don’t take Harrison or Odunze at #4, then Leggett could become very much in play.
I wouldn't touch Legette in round one. Older prospect with only one year of major production. He was a YAC monster though and I would definitely consider him in round two. Imagine three receivers with MHJ, Legette, Wilson, and McBride on the field. That's potentially tough to defend and there is a lot of size in that group.

BleedRed

Registered
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I my opinion our first pick needs to be one of the top 3 WR's (Harrison, Nabers, or Odunze). Even if we trade back a few spots one of these 3 players needs to be our primary target.

At #27 we need to go BPA at EDGE, OT, or OG. Verse is actually a far more likely option at 27 then at 4, Chop Robinson would be a great pick here as well. Best case senecio for me is we trade this pick to the Panthers for Brian Burns (I'm sure he'll be tagged)and lock him up long term.

There's a lot of depth at the DT position at the end of the first and second round area (even into the 3rd). I think both Sweat and Taylor will be there @ 35 and I would be happy with either. Jordan Morgan the OT out of Arizona or Kingsley Suamataia from BYU would be solid picks as well.

Just my opinions. I really think the addition of Burns would be a game changer for our defense.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I disagree here. I think with the injury to Hump that might keep him out for most of next season, the time is now to address the OL and shore it up for years to come. I believe that one of the first two picks needs to be an OT.

Alt is my first choice obviously. Maybe the Cardinals can move back a spot or two and land an extra pick and snag Alt in the 5 to 6 range. Although I have a feeling that Alt will be targeted by several teams as pretty much everyone is looking to protect their investments at QB. So selecting him at #4 overall wouldn't be a horrible choice. There are plenty of WRs available in FA and it's a very deep draft class as well. Finding a quality OT will be much more difficult.

If the Cardinals do go MHJ with their first pick I'm fine with that as well. He is an elite prospect and would be difficult to pass up. In this case they might have to move up from #27 to grab a quality OT but they have the picks to do so. I would target Taliese Fuaga or JC Lathum mid way through the 1st. Both of those guys are physical players who play with a nasty demeanor and could slide right in at RT. In this case I move PJJ to LT.

I am super high on Taliese Fuaga. I think he would fit in perfectly with the physical OL that the Cardinals are putting together. Fuaga lives to bury players into the ground. I love his hand placement and how he punches defenders when he makes initial contact. With Will Hernandez and Fuaga on the right side of the line that would be a nasty physical combo. Then throw in Froholdt pulling from the center position and you got a set of road graders who will punish the defense the entire game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
A thought occurs to me which further pushes me away from going OT with our #1. We could easily end up with a problem, and it's a good problem. Going OT two years in a row means you're going to have to pay them in concurrent years, meaning a ginormous chunk of our cap could easily be eaten up by one position encompassing two players. It would definitely be a good problem, because it would mean they both proved out, but to me it's another reason not to sink consecutive top 10 picks into the same position.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A thought occurs to me which further pushes me away from going OT with our #1. We could easily end up with a problem, and it's a good problem. Going OT two years in a row means you're going to have to pay them in concurrent years, meaning a ginormous chunk of our cap could easily be eaten up by one position encompassing two players. It would definitely be a good problem, because it would mean they both proved out, but to me it's another reason not to sink consecutive top 10 picks into the same position.
Agreed. I think k9 mentioned this. WR or DL would be better, IMO

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

This post from a guy who has a jersey with "Cap Space" on the back. :thumbup:

Stout

Reaction score
This post from a guy who has a jersey with "Cap Space" on the back. :thumbup:
Haha, indeed! No doubt that burning tons of cap on the same position is rarely a wise move, however. Give me a high-paid OT paired with JAG and a high-priced WR1 versus two high-priced OTs and a JAG WR1. The latter is a recipe for losing--and we don't even have JAGs to throw out there as a WR1 yet!

PlayerHater

Veteran
Reaction score
I think we need a true #1 Wr. I just finished watching tape of MJH, Nabers and Odunze. Quite frankly I think all 3 will fit but each are a little different. Actually I think Odunze might be the best. But any of the 3 is my first pick.
I’d prefer an OT with the Texans pick but you can plug in DT OR edge if that is the BPA.
I agree. I think we are in a no lose situation because we will get MHJ or one of the 3 QB's will drop to 4, and Atlanta or the giants will come calling allowing us to get Odunze or Nabers and get most likely another 2nd round pick. Or we stay at 4 and still get a great WR prospect.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Haha, indeed! No doubt that burning tons of cap on the same position is rarely a wise move, however. Give me a high-paid OT paired with JAG and a high-priced WR1 versus two high-priced OTs and a JAG WR1. The latter is a recipe for losing--and we don't even have JAGs to throw out there as a WR1 yet!
The NFL is a game of inches and milliseconds. Having two good to great OTs gives you an edge in time.

What that means is that lesser receivers can be more effective. And as has been pointed out numerous times, there are plenty of good WRa drafted after the first round.

But the most compelling argument for not going OT is the cost of two OTs in back-to-back contract years. That concept pushed me to idea that WR should be the target. At this point, I think I would like the Cardinals to just stay at #4 and draft one of the three.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I don't care about back to back contract years as it pertains to OL - Monti can chew gum and walk at the same time - not to mention a really good WR gonna be just as expensive

I'm not advocating going OL with our #4 pick - I'm saying when or where we drafted Paris shouldn't discourage us from making a good decision - and it's not like we don't desperately need a quality tackle

If you want a WR say that - I do - but I don't think Monti and Sears are going to avoid picking OL if they want to because of contract timing issues years from now - and if both drafted tackles pan out and demand big paydays that's a great problem to have if you ask me

Plus what if Paris gets injured?

I'd like MHJ myself - same way I liked Will Anderson and I watched as we traded the pick - so again I'm not pimping for the O-line I'm just saying it's easier to move money around then it is to find quality tackles in the draft

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
We traded down and drafted a Tackle when we had a healthy DJ Humphries on the roster

We no longer have DJ Humphries - we have a young Paris Johnson - leaving us worse off at the position then when we last had to make this same decision

And for the millionth time lol I want MHJ too

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny that even though the Cardinals need a corner or two, I don't think they should take one in round one because unless they improve the pass rush significantly, I think it's a waste.
Mike Jurecki claims that the Cardinals plan to spend heavy on CB and Pass Rush in Free Agency and go DL and WR early in the draft. We'll see how connected he still is, but I'd be ok with this approach. Hopefully CB is address in FA and he have flexibility to go with the best front 7 player aside form ILB.

Stout

Reaction score
The NFL is a game of inches and milliseconds. Having two good to great OTs gives you an edge in time.

What that means is that lesser receivers can be more effective. And as has been pointed out numerous times, there are plenty of good WRa drafted after the first round.

But the most compelling argument for not going OT is the cost of two OTs in back-to-back contract years. That concept pushed me to idea that WR should be the target. At this point, I think I would like the Cardinals to just stay at #4 and draft one of the three.
Solid, well thought out post. I agree that having two good to great OTs gives you that edge and can make lesser receivers more effective. We don't just have lesser, however. We have 3-5/6 depth.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No Joe Alt at #4?
No, I mentioned in the beginning how I don’t want them to spend their first pick on an OT, but I would add that if they did it, I have Alt rated above Fashanu. To me, it comes down to the fact that Joe Alt have grown up around a Hall of Famer. Every single hour of every single day he has witnessed what it takes to get that far, and he have gotten the required mentality injected into his mind all the time. I am not at all saying that Fashanu will fail on those parameters, but if I am making such a high draft selection, I go with the equal prospect that have both inheritance and environment from home.

That is, by the way, also a major plus for Marvin Harrison in my book. Sure, he is a good player, but to me, the intangibles and mental make-up takes him up a level as far as prospect goes.