Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Classic. Kyler cannot fail; he can only be failed. If Kyler can’t produce it’s because his WRs are failures.

Michael Wilson looked like a perfectly cromulent NFl wideout with Josh Dobbs running the show.

Funny

It's an interesting and fair point about Wilson. Truly. He did have at least one chance yesterday to make a play on the ball, the deep sideline pass, but couldn't come up with the catch. I mean if Greg Dortch is making plays in this offense, then surely Michael Wilson will make some too? I guess we'll see.

I won't belabor the point any further other than to say that I can imagine a universe where we draft MJH, upgrade LG, and even add a top 30 WR through FA, but the offense is still not top eight in the NFL. Where we have to make a difficult decision at QB going into the 2025 draft.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You constantly step on the GM & coaching(I know you bait, but I’ll play along) lol
I know Kyler can’t overcome a bad head coach and GM; either we wait around and let MOJG reset after Kyler or start the clock with their handpicked prospect and hope either they’re better than 3rd choice GM + last HC picked or the draft choice is Joe Burrow culture changer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an interesting and fair point about Wilson. Truly. He did have at least one chance yesterday to make a play on the ball, the deep sideline pass, but couldn't come up with the catch.

LOL… couldn’t come up with the catch? He was WIDE OPEN with three steps on the defense for a TD and the ball was UNDERTHROWN BY A MILE.

Maybe he’d have better chances to make plays if his QB could get it anywhere near him there or at least inbounds as opposed to another couple airmailed past the sideline. Blaming Wilson for not catching that pass is unhinged.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe its for another thread, but does the team sit Kyler vs the Seahawks?

Wanna avoid injury and we just saw the Seahawks struggle to beat a bad Titans team.
So now, after playing pretty poorly recently, we are going to sit Kyler? The side sat half the damn season already. If he is too soft to finish out the string and get time in this offensive scheme then he can fudge off.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
So Kyler was blameless in those years? Ah, no.

A year from now after another sub .500 season some will still want to keep Kyler.

"Kind of hard to evaluate Kyler when his coaches have been Kliff and Gannon. I want to see how Kyler does with a new OC next season. Cards will definitely regret letting Kyler walk."

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If MOJG are successful in putting weapons around Murray, building depth, and creating the player culture they talk about, then we will have sustainable success. That’s exactly the plan, and exactly why this year was strictly an evaluation year. Eating a $hit sandwich this year wasn’t fun, but a byproduct of the process.
No process. What actual progress has been made this season? What rebuilding has happened?

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
I feel like every time someone criticizes Kyler someone else excuses him and says to give him just one more shot. I don't want a QB who still needs to put it together heading into year 6.
This was the Raiders plan to make sure it was unsuccessful for 9 years with Derek Carr. It wasn’t the coaches, the injuries, the OL, the defense, the RB or the WR. It was Carr was/is a mediocre QB. Same as KM. Every year it was one more year with a new staff, a new OL..etc.
Traded for his buddy Davante Adam’s…same mediocre results. The same nonsense arguments made for Carr are being made here for KM. Now he’s in New Orleans stinking up the joint there. Took the Raiders nine years to realize next year was never coming lol.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Took the Raiders nine years to realize next year was never coming lol.

I think your right.

When we think about Kyler - we have all been bamboozled by his potential.

We have seen glimpses of it, so we want to believe he can be at that level consistently.

That is the Kyler we all want and the one we paid top 6 money to be.

63 games of experience tells us otherwise.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This was the Raiders plan to make sure it was unsuccessful for 9 years with Derek Carr. It wasn’t the coaches, the injuries, the OL, the defense, the RB or the WR. It was Carr was/is a mediocre QB. Same as KM. Every year it was one more year with a new staff, a new OL..etc.
Traded for his buddy Davante Adam’s…same mediocre results. The same nonsense arguments made for Carr are being made here for KM. Now he’s in New Orleans stinking up the joint there. Took the Raiders nine years to realize next year was never coming lol.
Dunno. I think a lot of this has to do with Jack Del Rio, Jon Gruden, and Josh McDaniels as coaches, also. But I agree that Carr was pretty much who BA and Keim thought he was.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL… couldn’t come up with the catch? He was WIDE OPEN with three steps on the defense for a TD and the ball was UNDERTHROWN BY A MILE.

Maybe he’d have better chances to make plays if his QB could get it anywhere near him there or at least inbounds as opposed to another couple airmailed past the sideline. Blaming Wilson for not catching that pass is unhinged.
Yet I watched game after game this weekend, where the quarterback under through the ball, but the receiver came back and actually made a catch

Yes, Kyler is struggling but he has absolutely the worst group of wide receivers in the NFL right now and it’s not even close.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think your right.

When we think about Kyler - we have all been bamboozled by his potential.

We have seen glimpses of it, so we want to believe he can be at that level consistently.

That is the Kyler we all want and the one we paid top 6 money to be.

63 games of experience tells us otherwise.
As a 5’10” QB in the NFL Kyler’s chance to be successful was less than 10 percent. Those odds can’t be spun any differently regardless of his talent. The only question I have is, do we move on this year or next.

Stout

Reaction score
Do you mean the decision to keep Murray should hinge primarily on if one of the QBs in the 2024 draft can actually be "the guy"?
I would think so. If we're in position to draft a QB and think he's "the guy," you have to take him IMO. I personally don't see "the guy" right now, though.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe its for another thread, but does the team sit Kyler vs the Seahawks?

Wanna avoid injury and we just saw the Seahawks struggle to beat a bad Titans team.
No way. It will mean nothing if he plays well or plays bad in that game. But it does mean something if you want him to be the leader in the off-season.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think so. If we're in position to draft a QB and think he's "the guy," you have to take him IMO. I personally don't see "the guy" right now, though.
That hits the nail on the head of the problem of the "we gotta take a QB" mindset. I am not comfortable with any of them. Caleb is #1, and you would think "no brainer", but then he has such a weird season.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could argue the financial ramifications are worse by keeping Kyler. Lots of guarantees kicking in and even more if he gets injured.

I feel like we will be right back in purgatory by keeping a medicore Kyler.
Not for next season and building a team. It's definitely worse to dump Kyler. You will also cut players like DJ or Budda. Bring in someone like Minshew as a bridge and you wind up with another season just like this one. Now, you have two years and what you have established is a culture of losing, guys that don't believe in their coaches. It's not fair to Gannon.

Try to build the team to a competitive level around Kyler. Hopefully he surprises by flashing back to 2021 form. If he doesn't, now you look at how to get the next QB in the draft and you don't gut the team.

Dumping Kyler now is stupid.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No process. What actual progress has been made this season? What rebuilding has happened?
The process has created 12+ draft picks this year & a far larger cap space than years past. We also didn’t burn through draft capital like we have in recent years when injuries came a knocking. And if you didn’t see a hungrier locker room, then it’s because you didn’t want to. We all knew this year wasn’t going to be pretty, but I’ll give Michael & the FO some credit for having the nads to put a longer term plan in place. And I’ve never been a fan of the Bidwill family as it pertains to this franchise.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
the answer to the OP - is NO. Draft Maye - look for trade partners for KM - Atlanta/MIN/LV/NY/WA - anyone, Cards can take the cap hit with their cheap roster

Stout

Reaction score
The process has created 12+ draft picks this year & a far larger cap space than years past. We also didn’t burn through draft capital like we have in recent years when injuries came a knocking. And if you didn’t see a hungrier locker room, then it’s because you didn’t want to. We all knew this year wasn’t going to be pretty, but I’ll give Michael & the FO some credit for having the nads to put a longer term plan in place. And I’ve never been a fan of the Bidwill family as it pertains to this franchise.
You don't look at a season and say we have more picks and a hungrier locker room and think it's a wild or even mild success. The team--the roster, the players, the actual product on the field, and adding real pieces--not only didn't get better, it significantly regressed. And it didn't have to. We could and should have been rebuilding instead of punting on the offseason for a nonsense "self-evaluation" year. We know exactly what we already knew and got no better for it.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't look at a season and say we have more picks and a hungrier locker room and think it's a wild or even mild success. The team--the roster, the players, the actual product on the field, and adding real pieces--not only didn't get better, it significantly regressed. And it didn't have to. We could and should have been rebuilding instead of punting on the offseason for a nonsense "self-evaluation" year. We know exactly what we already knew and got no better for it.
Going from 4 wins to 3 wins is hardly a significant regression. And it’s only your opinion that we know exactly what we already knew and got no better. I’ll leave that opinion to the people that were hired to put this plan in place and coach these guys every day. A process is ongoing, with the goal of creating sustainable success. The beginning of that process is NEVER a pretty one. I expect progress is 2024 and even more beyond that. Applying bandaids every year was attempted by this franchise for decades upon decades & it never was sustainable. It was long overdue for a different approach. Complain all you want, but this is the plan going forward for now.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That tends to happen when you don't have the supporting cast that Purdy has, which Jimmy G didn't.

Whats more likely:

1. Mr Irrelevant is a transcendent player.

Or

2. Mr. Irrelevant is a pretty good player surrounded by great players, top three coach, and a system that has made quite a few ok QBs look really good?
And boy did the Ravens make him look like pure trash last night. Just for the record, the Cardinals exposed something in that Wilks designed D! And the Ravens further exposed it. Curious to see with all that talent in their front 7, how the Niners do the rest of the way. In the meantime, I hope they extend Wilks for like 5 more years lol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard