Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Name me 14 other QBs in the nfl at present that would have the niners offense as effective. Good luck.
Guys starting week 17 in the NFL this year, or week one starters?

Pretty sure I could with the latter; Les sure with the former. People doubt Shanahan at their peril.

I think the most important thing for Purdy is culture and early success. He's in such a positive environment and being the right fit has helped his confidence quite a bit.

LOL. The 49ers have a pretty difficult culture. Aiyuk and Deebo have been in the doghouse at times. It’s just that winning is a tremendous disinfectant.
My position is fairly simple. While you can site successful QBs who were drafted in the second or third round, the stats say success is unlikely. It’s a big gamble. Most have a significant issue that few overcome. Your odds of getting a decent backup are better but you can sign a host of free agents to fill that role.

It’s not a big gamble, because the stakes are relatively low and the downside is you get a second QB for a while. Mason Rudolph just lead the Steelers to a big win. You just have to be able to dedicate the time to train up a young QB.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It may be that Kyler is a stop gap QB for this regime. Build the roster up. To buy time, sell Murray to the fans until then. This also placates the ownership spending money on Murray and unwilling to not get any ROI.

This plan for now appears logical.

Once the roster is builtup , Murray has no guarantees left. Cut or trade him and go get a new QB.

This does make it a 3-5 year rebuild if it is the plan.

Additional benefit is waiting 5 years means 2 out of 3 coaches in NFC West may be gone too. Right now, they cannot compete with their coaches even if Roster is half good.

The franchise gave you near 100 years of losing , cannot you wait another 5 years hoping?
3-5 year rebuilds in the NFL are supremely stupid, as it is a league literally built for parity and swift rebuilds.

Stout

Reaction score
How bad has Mahomes looked with no reliable weapons other than Kelce?

You can’t give Kyler a complete grade with the skill position talent we’re rolling out.
When can you give him a complete grade? Year 7, 10? The excuse making is insane. He's been in the league 5 years now and we still can't evaluate him? How about when a player tells you who he is (or isn't), then maybe believe him?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When can you give him a complete grade? Year 7, 10? The excuse making is insane. He's been in the league 5 years now and we still can't evaluate him? How about when a player tells you who he is (or isn't), then maybe believe him?
Damn dude, anytime someone isn’t completely stepping on Kyler’s grave, you’re going after them lmao

Stout

Reaction score
Damn dude, anytime someone isn’t completely stepping on Kyler’s grave, you’re going after them lmao
Yeah, I know. I wanted him to show some kind of real spark because we truly need to know if he's the guy or not. I haven't seen it from him so I've made up my mind. I mean, I think we are kind of stuck in the keep him another year and then move on, but for me, it'll be another wasted year because of him.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys starting week 17 in the NFL this year, or week one starters?

Pretty sure I could with the latter; Les sure with the former. People doubt Shanahan at their peril.

LOL. The 49ers have a pretty difficult culture. Aiyuk and Deebo have been in the doghouse at times. It’s just that winning is a tremendous disinfectant.

It’s not a big gamble, because the stakes are relatively low and the downside is you get a second QB for a while. Mason Rudolph just lead the Steelers to a big win. You just have to be able to dedicate the time to train up a young QB.
Dobbs lead us to a big win over Dallas.( DUCKS!)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler is one of the very qbs that can make a dump off unhinged.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That tends to happen when you don't have the supporting cast that Purdy has, which Jimmy G didn't.

Whats more likely:

1. Mr Irrelevant is a transcendent player.

Or

2. Mr. Irrelevant is a pretty good player surrounded by great players, top three coach, and a system that has made quite a few ok QBs look really good?
I think Purdy still has to perform. Not quite 1 or 2. There's been guys in great positions who could not pull it off. I think he's not transcendent, but is better than Jimmy G so he looks like a super QB when dropped into that team. I think he's better than people think in order to take advantage of that opportunity. He's a solid QB.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it's perfectly fair to consider the Keim/Kliff years a wash. If I had my druthers, I'd add some weapons like MHJ this offseason and see how he looks. If next year is more of the same, you move on.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think Purdy still has to perform. Not quite 1 or 2. There's been guys in great positions who could not pull it off. I think he's not transcendent, but is better than Jimmy G so he looks like a super QB when dropped into that team. I think he's better than people think in order to take advantage of that opportunity. He's a solid QB.
That's all I'm saying.

There is a huge gulf between solid and Brady. A huge gulf between solid and Mahomes.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Feels like Ayton to a degree. We see flashes where Murray does stuff few QBs can do. Consistency is where the the greats kill you. You know they are going to score on drives to win the game, two minute before the half scores, etc. For a play Kyler can look amazing. Can he string a bunch of those plays together on a drive? Then do it in a game for multiple drives? There were a LOT of drops yesterday. IDK. Kyler has the talent. I don't know if it's him or the crappy WRs for the reason there's no consistency.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bad has Mahomes looked with no reliable weapons other than Kelce?

You can’t give Kyler a complete grade with the skill position talent we’re rolling out.
Ummm I’m pretty sure Mahomes still won a SB and looked pretty good last season with about the same supporting cast?

Last edited:

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ummm I’m pretty sure Mahomes still won a SB and looked pretty good last season with about the same supporting cast?
That’s fair, but I feel like the org is giving him a Mulligan with the new coaching staff, so just considering this year.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Matt Stafford was in Detroit for 12 seasons & never won a playoff game there.
Exactly. Did that mean that Stafford wasn’t “the guy”? Of course not. Once he was shipped out of Detroit, he obviously was. Can you imagine how good Stafford would be had he played for the Lions after Campbell turned the franchise around? If Murray goes to a team that has any clue, we will rue the day.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That’s fair, but I feel like the org is giving him a Mulligan with the new coaching staff, so just considering this year.
IDK. He's a proven commodity that seemingly can turn it on at any point in a game or season. I know I am tired of watching him do that to the Chargers.

netsnjkidd

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. I wanted him to show some kind of real spark because we truly need to know if he's the guy or not. I haven't seen it from him so I've made up my mind. I mean, I think we are kind of stuck in the keep him another year and then move on, but for me, it'll be another wasted year because of him.
Question. Do you feel like there is no chance with an offseason to work on how to operate this offense plus with some legit weapons he can show that spark. Or you feel like there is no hope?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I guarantee you were keeping Murray, long term.

If we were really trying to win games, they'd be running K1 more. Do you see how effortlessly he slices through a defense for ten or fifiteen yards? It's not even fair!

It's like the going for two thing. We convert about 10% of those tries, yet RG goes for them with even the slightest excuse.

Why? Because we're definitley holding back at this point.

The plan is that we're going to add some top-shelf WR talent, improve the Oline some (maybe RB too), and then unleash chaos on on NFL defenses in 2024.

Stout

Reaction score
Question. Do you feel like there is no chance with an offseason to work on how to operate this offense plus with some legit weapons he can show that spark. Or you feel like there is no hope?
I feel like every time someone criticizes Kyler someone else excuses him and says to give him just one more shot. I don't want a QB who still needs to put it together heading into year 6.

Stout

Reaction score
I guarantee you were keeping Murray, long term.

If we were really trying to win games, they'd be running K1 more. Do you see how effortlessly he slices through a defense for ten or fifiteen yards? It's not even fair!

It's like the going for two thing. We convert about 10% of those tries, yet RG goes for them with even the slightest excuse.

Why? Because we're definitley holding back at this point.

The plan is that we're going to add some top-shelf WR talent, improve the Oline some (maybe RB too), and then unleash chaos on on NFL defenses in 2024.
Long-term? Guaranteed? So if we keep him 3 years, what kind of progress do we have by then?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People on this board said the same thing about Leinart and Rosen.
I didn’t. I called for Warner to be QB1 as early as 2007 & that Rosen should be discarded in order to draft Murray. Murray was better than Rosen while he was still at OU. There’s no one at the college level better than Murray.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort