Is Kyler Murray the answer at QB for next year and beyond?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, he is not. Time to move on from Kyler. If he stays another year or two, it's unlikely the team will get more than 4 or 5 wins in those seasons. Cards are bottom feeders right now. Don't see anything that will change that other than a complete rebuild.
I understand this view. However, we kind of already started the rebuild.
Hindsight is 20/20. We drafted Murray, hired Kingsbury and enjoyed some “ excitement”.
But the biggest and dumbest thing after that was doubling down on Keim, Kingsbury and then caving and renewing Kyler a year early which is the reason we are in the position we’re in.
We are trapped. Being tied to a qb that NOBODY has 100% confidence he is the guy and yet it appears we are stuck with him AND a depleted roster.
Now this roster could look a lot different in 4 months but Good enough to support a rookie qb?

We will learn a lot in the next 3 months when free agency rolls around. If we are passive in free agency then we are looking at a 3-4 year rebuild because a dozen draft picks are not all going to pan out and carry this team.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
God, I hope we don't actually end up in position to draft a top QB because that would put me in a horrible position opinion-wise. Kyler clearly isn't the guy but, as you say, we're not in great position to get rid of him. And I don't like the QB prospects. Ugh.

Is that a shovel I see in your hand my friend? And Kyler's gravestone there too? haha :)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays btw!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
But you can build up the roster for the next QB coming in.
The problem there is, how do you get the next QB? If you build the roster up around a mid, not good enough QB, you won't be good enough to go on a playoff run, but you'll be too good to chase a top QB. Do we really trust Monti to find the guy with a middle 1st round pick?

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We already have a good FG kicker. If you can run over 200 yards a game and kick a lot of FGs, you will win a lot of games just doing those two things.
Prater is in all likelihood this team's offensive MVP. That being said, we have enough red zone issues that I don't want to rely on him to put points on the board anytime we cross the 50. Good teams finish drives. Period.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem there is, how do you get the next QB? If you build the roster up around a mid, not good enough QB, you won't be good enough to go on a playoff run, but you'll be too good to chase a top QB.
See Chiefs, Ravens, etc, this is exactly what they did prior to Pat and Lamar’s arrival. You trade up when your roster is good enough. The “3rd best QB” drafted will most likely be going to a team with a much better supporting cast than the first 2 QBs drafted.
Do we really trust Monti to find the guy with a middle 1st round pick?
What evidence is there to be for it or against it? Why are you guys judging Monti like he has been here 4 years already & have a feel on what his ideas are?

Considering what the Chiefs, Ravens, 49ers, & Eagles have looked like, that might be the move.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It may be that Kyler is a stop gap QB for this regime. Build the roster up. To buy time, sell Murray to the fans until then. This also placates the ownership spending money on Murray and unwilling to not get any ROI.

This plan for now appears logical.

Once the roster is builtup , Murray has no guarantees left. Cut or trade him and go get a new QB.

This does make it a 3-5 year rebuild if it is the plan.

Additional benefit is waiting 5 years means 2 out of 3 coaches in NFC West may be gone too. Right now, they cannot compete with their coaches even if Roster is half good.

The franchise gave you near 100 years of losing , cannot you wait another 5 years hoping?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See Chiefs, Ravens, etc, this is exactly what they did prior to Pat and Lamar’s arrival. You trade up when your roster is good enough. The “3rd best QB” drafted will most likely be going to a team with a much better supporting cast than the first 2 QBs drafted.

What evidence is there to be for it or against it? Why are you guys judging Monti like he has been here 4 years already & have a feel on what his ideas are?

Considering what the Chiefs, Ravens, 49ers, & Eagles have looked like, that might be the move.

Saying we can go the Eagles, Chiefs, Ravens and 49ers route is easier said than done. Those are EASILY the four best FOs with arguably the 3 best coaches in the game, with Sirianni being a debatable 4th.

So far, our GM has gotten nailed for tampering, lost high
Picks in his first draft, and is coming off a draft with not one impact maker amongst the bunch yet, and just wasted an entire season that set the table for absolutely nothing next season except getting another high pick…. That they might trade away this year all for the promise of next year’s magic beans.

And you’ve got a coaching staff who couldn’t recognize for 8 months that Colt McCoy didn’t belong as our starter, much less even he in the NFL, had McBride buried beneath Ertz’s rotting corpse until Ertz was literally on the slab and has made so many questionable Brandon Staley-esque coaching decisions that boggle the mind, all of which show that there is zero reason to believe they are anywhere close to the capabilities of the minds on the sidelines running the Niners/Chiefs/Eagles/Ravens.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Nice post BRM.

I mentioned how maybe the Cards should draft a guy this year with a second or third round pick which was mostly met with opposition.

I am so confused with this Qb situation. At times ( which seem most of the time) I think Kyler just ain’t the guy. I think back at the “ good times” and think maybe I’m wrong. Then I look at the receiving core and think what the hell. Then I see him standing in the pocket like a nervous Nelly.

MO tore this team down to the bare bones. He has built up draft picks and cap space. What is his vision? Would he use that first pick on a Qb even if he couldn’t move Kyler? Would that be terrible? Would a rookie QB truly be given a shot to start? Would a Qb competion divide the team?

Could we surround a rookie QB with a decent supporting cast? Would we get a guy that performed like Stroud or like Bryce Young?

If we were to draft a qb I think I’d want Kyler gone. What could we get for Kyler and how does that affect our cap situation in 2024 and 2025?

It’s going to be a very interesting, exciting, aggravating and crazy off season.
My position is fairly simple. While you can site successful QBs who were drafted in the second or third round, the stats say success is unlikely. It’s a big gamble. Most have a significant issue that few overcome. Your odds of getting a decent backup are better but you can sign a host of free agents to fill that role.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was undecided on KM being the future. He doesn’t have much to work with but I am just not seeing it. We will need to get lucky getting our next QB. It is a shame but KM is average at best.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
@Harry I know am hoping for a Christmas miracle.

What is the dollar amount Bidwill will sell the franchise for? 8 billion, 10 billion ? I want a Musk or Bezos to buy this franchise so just praying.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bidwill will never allow them to operate like successful NFL organizations.

Bidwill will not tolerate indifference to his team by ticket buyers.
Big Red, good to see you posting my brother, but I have a slight issue with the above sentiments which I believe are somewhat contradictory. It's a known fact that he has tolerated indifference to the ticket-buying fans. Why stop at Niners fans? Eagles, Rams, Seahawks, Packers, Cowboys, etc, fans put their feet up without hesitation in our building which is why State Farm is unquestionably the most fan-friendly venue to opposing fans. Easy to feel at home when the atmosphere resembles a neutral site. The man sees it up close every week, so I imagine by now he's used to it. Does it irk him enough to do something about it? TBH, that question has been unanswered since I've been a fan. Too much ineptitude to feel any other way. The fact that your first statement is so spot on is a large part of the problem.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saying we can go the Eagles, Chiefs, Ravens and 49ers route is easier said than done. Those are EASILY the four best FOs with arguably the 3 best coaches in the game, with Sirianni being a debatable 4th.
Sure, that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be attempted to be done. Those teams are the standard. We should follow the standard.

and is coming off a draft with not one impact maker amongst the bunch yet,
Gotta let these dudes grow & stop acting like they have a 1 season auction or ****”. I’ve seen flashes from every player to not be discouraged.
and just wasted an entire season that set the table for absolutely nothing next season except getting another high pick….
lol, man.
How are you going say “wasted an entire season” than “except getting another high pick” in the same sentence? Seems like @GatorAZ & I are the only ones on the other side of the see-saw than everyone else.
And you’ve got a coaching staff who couldn’t recognize for 8 months that Colt McCoy didn’t belong as our starter,
sort of like the Hopkins, really trying to figure out why is this still a huge deal on this board.
had McBride buried beneath Ertz’s rotting corpse until Ertz was literally on the slab
Can’t argue against this.
many questionable Brandon Staley-esque coaching decisions that boggle the mind
Not against it AT THE MOMENT because this year was obviously a wash. Doesn’t hurt to throw sticks at the wall because there’s nothing to lose.
Niners/Chiefs/Eagles/Ravens
Niners were down in the dumps for 5 years not THAT long ago. Chiefs struggled mightily for years until Reid’s arrival. Hell, fans of those teams probably said the same thing about the Patriots, Giants, Packers, etc, when they were all down. Ravens & Eagles are probably the only teams that have constantly been above seawater since the 2000s.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be attempted to be done. Those teams are the standard. We should follow the standard.

Gotta let these dudes grow & stop acting like they have a 1 season auction or ****”. I’ve seen flashes from every player to not be discouraged.

lol, man.
How are you going say “wasted an entire season” than “except getting another high pick” in the same sentence? Seems like @GatorAZ & I are the only ones on the other side of the see-saw than everyone else.

That’s because you have some kind of iron clad certainty we’re going to get to pick Harrison. I fear our GM goes Galaxy brain and trades back to get another “haul” of picks.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s because you have some kind of iron clad certainty we’re going to get to pick Harrison. I fear our GM goes Galaxy brain and trades back to get another “haul” of picks.
If Monti trades back then yea I will be mad & lose faith(although it does not guarantee MHJR will have a great career & vice versa with those picks receive will), but until it happens, I will assume MHJR will be the pick.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You draft a franchise QB anytime you don't have one.

Most important position in the NFL and hardest to find.
I knew we all grew up on this thinking, but it’s not all that black & white.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is a ridiculous argument because pretty much no other QB has the same weapons, OL, and coaching that Purdy has. Jimmy Garapolo posted nearly identical stats through his first 25 starts, but the only difference is the Niners running game is even better and so is their defense.
I mean other than jimmy g throwing twice the interceptions . . .

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I knew we all grew up on this thinking, but it’s not all that black & white.

True.

Wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of a top 6 paid medicore QB and get a bridge/veteran QB?

None of the teams you mentioned built their teams that way.