How good is this Taylor?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I have heard he might be even better than Roy Williams of dallas?

If thats true, I think we HAVE to take him.

At first I didnt wanna see a Saftey taken with the top pick. But I keep hearing how bad ass this guy is.

If he is just a good saftey I dont want him. But if he is a monster like I have been hearing I think we need defense more than anything.

I cant help but want Fitz lined up next to Boldin. But Defense wins games.

tigertat

Veteran
Reaction score
All hype and reports on him are correct.

The guy is a huge, fast, hard hitting, ball hawk. In fact he is a FS at Miami becuase his converage skills are so great, but has the size, hitting and tackling ability to be a SS.

He also has the size to even play weak side LB if he wanted to.

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Originally posted by tigertat
All hype and reports on him are correct.

The guy is a huge, fast, hard hitting, ball hawk. In fact he is a FS at Miami becuase his converage skills are so great, but has the size, hitting and tackling ability to be a SS.

He also has the size to even play weak side LB if he wanted to.
Thx for the update.

Thats interesting about the LB statement. Gotta love fast LB's.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Taylor is a 6'3 230 pounds, has the coverage skills of a CB and has speed of a RB ( 4.4 in 40 yards ). Taylor will just turn 21 by the time the draft comes around. Can lay the wood if he has to. He is a ballhawk agressive fast DB that if he has to, can play CB and moved him around ala Peterson ( 49ers LB ). If Eli or Big Ben is gone by the time we draft I won't be disappointed if we draft Taylor who I think will be a Pro Bowler in the near future.

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
jeez, I "was" against taking a Saftey so high in the draft, but the more I hear the more I think he should be the pick.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I would hate to pass on Taylor for another potential DL bust like Tommie Harris.We've had enough attempts at DL with the #1 pick.Let's make sure we get a playmaker and that's Taylor.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What many people don't know about Sean Taylor is underneath his uniform he has a big " S " on his chest and a cape and blue tights. Yes , he is Superman. :eek:

Seriously, he is a freak. One added dimension is that at U of Miami, he played on all of the special teams willingly and also returned punts and KOs.

P.S. Led the nation in picks.

P.S.S. Lions supposedly want him desperately with the overall #5 pick, so 3 doesn't seem to be a reach. :cool:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before but is there any chance that Wilson could play CB?

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duckjake
I'm sure this has been discussed before but is there any chance that Wilson could play CB?

I'll say put the best defensive player we have on the game.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I would be okay with Taylor,

but I just have to shake my head on Cardinal luck --

its quite possible that in the last five years where they have had top three picks, they will have landed a Guard and a Safety

Arguably the two least impactful positions on the football field.

Oh well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by en fuego

its quite possible that in the last five years where they have had top three picks, they will have landed a Guard and a Safety

Oh well.

Yes and no, great players are always valuable. There's 3-4 guys I'd be happy with at #3, Manning and Roethlisberger(I expect both to be gone), Taylor, and Roy Williams. Then there's guys who may by draft day have done enough to be worth the #3 in my eyes, Fitzgerald(got to see how he runs) Reggie Williams(great player just not sure he's THAT good), maybe Wilfork(has to be in shape and have great workouts) or Udeze(supposedly moving up quickly.

But to me Taylor is the closest to a sure thing in the draft of the non QB's, he's probably a better player than either of them but of course QB is a much more valuable position.

Taylor is an absolute difference maker though, look at what Roy Williams(the safety) and Ed Reed did to us this year, I'd argue that Roy Williams was instrumental in the win over us by making so many big hits early that he just intimidated most of our receivers and I think had our QB scared to throw his way any more for fear of getting someone killed. Reed was instrumental in beating us with the blocked punt and several nice plays in coverage, I really think in a couple of years Taylor will be better than either guy.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Agree

Oh well.

I'll be OK with Taylor as en fuego said......but I'd be more excited with Eli or Big Ben and even Fitz....impact players....that's the ticket.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
My only question on Taylor, and it comes from not seeing him play, is his football sense.

I am not saying its poor, I just dont know.

When Roy Williams was coming out, people raved about his football instincts, how he just seemed to know where the play was going. Ed Reed was a similiar.

Remember, Williams ran a slow 40 time at the combine, but the high marks on instincts made that a non issue. His play thus far has made it a non issue.

I read lots and lots about Taylor being a physical freak, but not alot/any on his instincitiveness.

There might be more thinking required at safety than any other position on D. It seems like all designed big plays are predicated on tricking the safety into making a poor decision.

It just makes me a little wary.

Last edited:

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Excellent

My only question on Taylor, and it comes from not seeing him play, are his football sense.

When Roy Williams was coming out, people raved about his football instincts, how he just seemed to know where the play was going. Ed Reed was a similiar.

Remember, Williams ran a slow 40 time at the combine, but the high marks on instincts made that a non issue. His play thus far has made it a non issue.

I read lots and lots about Taylor being a physical freak, but not alot/any on his intincitiveness.

There might be more thinking required at safety than any other position on D. It seems like all designed big plays are predicated on tricking the safety into making a poor decision.

Excellent post en fuego.

He sure didn't scare me in the National Championship game that his team lost.

He wasn't a difference maker.

I want to draft an impact player...a difference maker.

Greg Jones completely bulldozed Taylor on a run in their bowl game....but then again Jones could bulldoze about anybody....but he sez ain't too often.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only question on Taylor, and it comes from not seeing him play, are his football sense.

I read lots and lots about Taylor being a physical freak, but not alot/any on his intincitiveness.

The coaching staff at Miami claims he is better than Ed Reed at the same point in his career. Opponents tried to duck him and he was still at the point of attack at almost every play. He is a good academic student and along with Vilma was the brains of the defense.

See this link for an analysis on Taylor.

http://football.about.com/cs/playerprofiles/p/seantaylor.htm

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Excellent

Originally posted by BuckeyeCardinal
Excellent post en fuego.

Greg Jones completely bulldozed Taylor on a run in their bowl game....but then again Jones could bulldoze about anybody....but he sez ain't too often.

He did have 2 picks and 11 tackles in that loss to Ohio State, if Clarett hadn't stripped him from behind after that one pick, they probably win the game and he might be MVP of the game.

Yeah Jones did run him over in the bowl game for sure.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
If

If a frog had wings he wouldn't bust his arse when he jumped.

If you guys can convince me that Taylor will be an impact player who will guarantee of us of more wins then I'll be on your side.

Is Taylor that much better than Wilson?

If so how much better?

Is Eli or Big Ben better than McCown?

If so how much better?

What do you see more often....impact player QB's or impact free safety's?

I know....Brady sucks.....Delhomme sucks.....but personally I think the most important position in football is the QB. We'll see next week.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score

No Roy Williams run a good 40 thats why the Cowpukes drafted him instead of Buchannon.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Excellent

Excellent post en fuego.

Blinded by the light.

" He was just blinded by the light
Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun
Oh but mama that's where the fun is" :cool:

Ya just gotta put that jersey on to feel the impact of Taylor. He is Larry Wilson plus Adrian Wilson.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
So

Wally you draft Sean Taylor when you had a chance to draft Eli or Big Ben?

No wonder you guys lost the national championship game.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: So

Wally you draft Sean Taylor when you had a chance to draft Eli or Big Ben?

No wonder you guys lost the national championship game.

No, that's not what I said. Someone else asked about Taylor's credentials, assuming Ben & Eli weren't available. I would take Eli or Ben first. Never said Taylor if the other 2 were available. Just to clarify my opinion so as not to be misconstrued;

My preferences are in order
1. Eli Manning
2. Ben Roethlisberger
3. Roy Williams
4. Sean Taylor
5. Steven Jackson
6. Robert Gallery
7. Kellen Winslow
8. Larry Fitzgerald
9. Vince Wilfork
10. Will Poole

I didn't lose the National Championship Game. My eligibilty ran out many years ago. :D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: If

If a frog had wings he wouldn't bust his arse when he jumped.

If you guys can convince me that Taylor will be an impact player who will guarantee of us of more wins then I'll be on your side.

Is Taylor that much better than Wilson?

If so how much better?

Is Eli or Big Ben better than McCown?

If so how much better?

What

I'm with Wally, not saying take Taylor over Ben or Eli, saying if theyr'e gone, and I think they will be if we stay at 3, take Taylor.

Taylor had 11 picks(led the nation) and returned 3 for TD's, this past season, that's impact in my book.

THe "replacement value" is what you're talking about, the difference between Taylor and who he replaces as opposed to whoever else we pick and who they replace.

Again, Eli or Ben are there, take them, if they're not, take Taylor.