At this point why is Kyler better than Dobbs?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously.

What makes you think Kyler is better than Dobbs?
History? Means nothing.
College? Means nothing.
Running? Hmm. Dobbs is faster. Murray is quicker.
Scrambling? Okay.
Accuracy? Didn’t Kyler have the worse deep ball pct?
Playing under center? Well, we don’t know.
Reading a defense? Hmmm.
His progressions? Hmmm.
Salary? Ahhhh!

How many people laughed when the Seahawks traded Russell Wilson and signed Geno Smith?

I’d really like your opinion on why you think Murray should simply be handed the ball when he is ready to play.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Geno Smith was Wilson's backup...he wasn't just signed to be the starter and replace him. He had time in that offense and they knew what they had in him, to give him a chance. Remember, too, Carroll has always been of the belief that the team made Russ, not the other way around.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geno Smith was Wilson's backup...he wasn't just signed to be the starter and replace him. He had time in that offense and they knew what they had in him, to give him a chance. Remember, too, Carroll has always been of the belief that the team made Russ, not the other way around.
Dobbs played in this system. Murray has NEVER played in this or any structured NFL offense. Remember, Murray didn’t want to be under center. Is Dobbs height an advantage?
I can live with the team making or Qb.

urs

All Star
Reaction score
Seriously.

What makes you think Kyler is better than Dobbs?
History? Means nothing.
College? Means nothing.
Running? Hmm. Dobbs is faster. Murray is quicker.
Scrambling? Okay.
Accuracy? Didn’t Kyler have the worse deep ball pct?
Playing under center? Well, we don’t know.
Reading a defense? Hmmm.
His progressions? Hmmm.
Salary? Ahhhh!

How many people laughed when the Seahawks traded Russell Wilson and signed Geno Smith?

I’d really like your opinion on why you think Murray should simply be handed the ball when he is ready to play.
Whew...a lot wrong with this, but taking Kyler's deep ball last year as the whole picture is kind of, well, not even sure what to say.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prisoner of the moment.

Murray is the better QB. That’s why you play him.
The question is why do you think that. In your opinion what makes you think that. Because the pundits tell you?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Your assertion on kylers deep ball is true... but only for last season. Prior to that Murray had near historical levels of accuracy on his deep passes... it was the middle he was weak on.
But hey... Trent Green, Drew Bledsoe...they got hurt and Kurt Warner and Tom Brady capitalized on their opportunity.
I'm perfectly fine with Dobbs having to outplay kyler in order to keep his job.

urs

All Star
Reaction score
Keep in mind , it’s a question not a statement.
Fair enough. Kyler is one of the best in the league at throwing the deep ball, just wasn't last year for whatever reason. Dobbs is a backup, a very good one, as we're seeing. Dobbs probably won't lose you the game most games, but Kyler can WIN you games. That's the difference.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I have two working eye balls
So do I. But I’m looking for opinions as fans why Kyler is a better fit for this offense, an offense he has never played in.
Personally, I think Kyler can flourish in this offense if he can grasp it. The thing that scares me is he has never played in Pro set offense. Can he move inside the pocket effectively? Can he read the set progressions?

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is hilarious.
Why? It’s a question. There are , were a lot of Kyler haters on this site and it wasn’t that long ago. Suddenly Kyler got a new PR manager and he’s smiling more and there’s love in Arizona?
How much talk has gone on here with “ trade Kyler”?
It’s a legit question when you consider his dependency on his running and scrambling after this injury.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sad thing is it was predictable
So you have been infatuated with Kyler this whole time? Have you ever been on the side of trade Kyler for draft picks? If so that’s fine. Then Kyler’s your man. I’m fine with that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why? It’s a question. There are , were a lot of Kyler haters on this site and it wasn’t that long ago. Suddenly Kyler got a new PR manager and he’s smiling more and there’s love in Arizona?
How much talk has gone on here with “ trade Kyler”?
It’s a legit question when you consider his dependency on his running and scrambling after this injury.
If you dismiss past performance, how can you reasonably say that this thread is offered in good faith? Right now Dobbs is better than Kyler because he's healthy and able to play NFL football and Kyler isn't.

In two weeks Dobbs will likely be better than Kyler because he'll have played football in the past 10 months and been working in this offense off and on for the past two years.

In a month Kyler will be better than Dobbs because he's faster, he has a better arm, he has better ball placement, he has a smoother delivery, and he's more aggressive getting the ball to his playmakers.

The chance this thread doesn't look unhinged in 60 days is extremely small. Dobbs passed for 189 yards yesterday. 36% of those yards came on one play where apparently Michael Wilson did the "You Can't See Me" gesture at the Dallas defense and they went for it.

On the other 20 pass attempts Dobbs averaged 6.0 yards. Good game by him; great team win by the Arizona Cardinals. The guy is 28 years old and just won his first NFL game. Eight days ago we were wondering if Clayton Tune might be the better option.

Let's take a deep breath.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Why is Dobbs better than Kyler?
Why would you rather see him playing Qb?

Murray is immensely more talented, has a better arm, and has played at a high level.
He’s played at low levels too.

But low levels are all you get with Dobbs. He has had 1 acceptable game when the rush game was the main reason the offense was clicking.

This thread is kind of ridiculous. Would you rather have Baker Mayfield over Tom Brady because he’s had a somewhat decent start for TB?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why is Dobbs better than Kyler?
Why would you rather see him playing Qb?

Murray is immensely more talented, has a better arm, and has played at a high level.
He’s played at low levels too.

But low levels are all you get with Dobbs. He has had 1 acceptable game when the rush game was the main reason the offense was clicking.

This thread is kind of ridiculous. Would you rather have Baker Mayfield over Tom Brady because he’s had a somewhat decent start for TB?
I'd rather have Gardner Minshew than Anthony Richardson because QBWINZ.

Let's see what happens when the Cards go down by two scores.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Dobbs played in this system. Murray has NEVER played in this or any structured NFL offense. Remember, Murray didn’t want to be under center. Is Dobbs height an advantage?
I can live with the team making or Qb.
I understand why you raise the issue. Actually the system & coach really make it impossible to accurately answer your concerns. Keep in mind you’re working with a small sample size of Dobbs performance-wise. His historical results warn that this may not be his new norm. He may revert to his previous levels. Sadly I think we know little about Murray’s capabilities due to Kingsbury’s incompetence. I don’t think any QB could have been sucessful in that regime, let alone could they have reached their potential. Even if Dobbs plays well, it’s Murray’s job when he’s able. For no other reason than the Cards must assess his trade value.

I do believe Murray is the better athlete. I also believe he has a better arm. However, he didn’t get hardly any Cards’ coaching to move his skillset forward. Also 4 teams have decided Dobbs wasn’t an NFL QB; starting or backup. That’s a significant amount of coaching expertise to miss that badly.

Questioning Murray is fair? How well can he take coaching? Will he willingly adjust his game to go under center? Can he learn to use the pocket? Is he a leader? These are all valid concerns to mention just a few. Clearly Murray is no sure thing. I’m impressed with this staff. I believe they will figure it out. With both the Cards & Texas looking like they’ll win a few, drafting a winning QB is no longer a sure thing. I’m hoping Murray becomes the QB I think he’s capable of becoming, but I’ll freely admit, like the coaching staff, Dobbs has greatly exceeded my expectations.