If MHJ is gone. What now?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll show some patience and wait a day or two, so I'll know when we pick. When you see all the stars picked after the second round, you know there's a lot of luck involved. If you say there is also good scouting that's true to a point, but there must be a reason why the player was still available.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Having two first round picks is a good thing regardless of the negative thoughts otherwise. There is always at least two players I’d like to have. Add in an early 2nd round pick, we are in good shape.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Outside of Tyreek & probably Diggs, I’m trying to think of any other current top 10 WR drafted in round 3 or later.

Puka Nacua, Amon Ra St Brown, Nico Collins and Keenan Allen are all top 10 in receiving and were drafted 3 or later. Besides the 2 you mentioned.

I'm sure Cooper Kupp would also be in the if he hadn't been injured a bunch of the season.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Puka Nacua, Amon Ra St Brown, Nico Collins and Keenan Allen are all top 10 in receiving and were drafted 3 or later. Besides the 2 you mentioned.

I'm sure Cooper Kupp would also be in the if he hadn't been injured a bunch of the season.
Hindsight is 20/20. Of course there will be stars that emerge in the later rounds.
All the stats, soothsaying, palm reading and crystal balls can’t tell you who the next Keenan Allen is.

Issabella was going to be great. Moore was going to be great. And do you remember the WR’s Keim took late in the draft? Neither do I because they’re all bagging groceries.

We need a true #1 wr. To pass on a guy like Odunze thinking we can find a gem in the 3rd round is nuts.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim is gone.
It was direct response to Brit pointing out certain players that were drafted in the 3rd round. Whether it’s Keim or MO or any other GM they really can’t look at the draft and say “ We REALLY need a wr, but don’t worry, we can get one in the 3rd round because that’s where Keenan Allen was drafted.”

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20. Of course there will be stars that emerge in the later rounds.
All the stats, soothsaying, palm reading and crystal balls can’t tell you who the next Keenan Allen is.

Issabella was going to be great. Moore was going to be great. And do you remember the WR’s Keim took late in the draft? Neither do I because they’re all bagging groceries.

We need a true #1 wr. To pass on a guy like Odunze thinking we can find a gem in the 3rd round is nuts.

And? There are a whole bunch of top 20 busts at WR too.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was direct response to Brit pointing out certain players that were drafted in the 3rd round. Whether it’s Keim or MO or any other GM they really can’t look at the draft and say “ We REALLY need a wr, but don’t worry, we can get one in the 3rd round because that’s where Keenan Allen was drafted.”

That's literally there job.

Nobody can KNOW how good any draft pick will be no matter where they are picked. It is their job to judge that the best they can and garner information as to where they are likely to be drafted.

The Rams didn't luck into both Kupp and Nacua.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Nobody can KNOW how good any draft pick will be no matter where they are picked. It is their job to judge that the best they can and garner information as to where they are likely to be drafted.

Both players succeed more so bc of the system and what routes Stafford likes to throw to… both players would also be excellent in Tom Brady’s dink and dunk type of offense.

Kupp is a stud, but he never has his record breaking season in any other offense. Nacua is a good rookie but he doesn’t have this record breaking season in another offense and without Kupp missing time.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And? There are a whole bunch of top 20 busts at WR too.
Of course. But you’d have to be dumb passing on MHJ believing you can get your man in the 3rd round.
Two things wrong with that.
1. If you pass on perceived ability and grading by scouts around the league on guys like MHJ and Odunze and they indeed live up to expectations then you’re organization looks like idiots.
2. If you’re banking on that guy in the 3rd round there is no guarantee he will be there when you pick.

Teams that draft a Wr in the 3rd or 4th round are probably not penciling that player in as their starting #1 Wr. We need a #1 Wr. Let’s not try to get cute.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You contradict yourself. You say nobody can KNOW so by some degree there’s a pct. Of luck. If they KNEW then Nacua would have went much higher in the draft.
If heading into the 2023 draft the Rams were DESPERATE for a wr I highly doubt they would have waited until day 3 to draft one.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course. But you’d have to be dumb passing on MHJ believing you can get your man in the 3rd round.
1. If you pass on perceived ability and grading by scouts around the league on guys like MHJ and Odunze and they indeed live up to expectations then you’re organization looks like idiots.
2. If you’re banking on that guy in the 3rd round there is no guarantee he will be there when you pick.

Teams that draft a Wr in the 3rd or 4th round are probably not penciling that player in as their starting #1 Wr. We need a #1 Wr. Let’s not try to get cute.

I haven't said they should draft a wide receiver in the 3rd. Just that a lot of the best WR in the league were drafted 3rd or later.

90% of the draft talkon this board is about MHJ. I just don't think the team will have the same view.

I think they will try to bolster wide receiver in FA and go into the draft with OT and Edge as higher priorities. THey may draft MHJ, maybe they will just think he's too good to pass up, but the board is too MHJ focused in my opinion considering the glaring holes at Edge and now OT. Both much harder to fill further back than WR.

I personally think the 2nd first rounder or the 2nd round pick are more likely for WR.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't said they should draft a wide receiver in the 3rd. Just that a lot of the best WR in the league were drafted 3rd or later.

90% of the draft talkon this board is about MHJ. I just don't think the team will have the same view.

I think they will try to bolster wide receiver in FA and go into the draft with OT and Edge as higher priorities. THey may draft MHJ, maybe they will just think he's too good to pass up, but the board is too MHJ focused in my opinion considering the glaring holes at Edge and now OT. Both much harder to fill further back than WR.

I personally think the 2nd first rounder or the 2nd round pick are more likely for WR.
Okay so you are posting more about what you think this staff will do.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You contradict yourself. You say nobody can KNOW so by some degree there’s a pct. Of luck. If they KNEW then Nacua would have went much higher in the draft.
If heading into the 2023 draft the Rams were DESPERATE for a wr I highly doubt they would have waited until day 3 to draft one.

Well no, nobody can know, but they can suspect. Plus I'd expect teams hear from agents and league chatter what teams are interested and what rounds they are likely to go in.

For example, Nakue ran 4.57 so the Rams could be confident nobody was taking him very high.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay so you are posting more about what you think this staff will do.

Yes, I don't care who they draft, there are holes everywhere. Hard to go wrong.

But this board is VERY MHJ focused and I don't think the Cards will be close to so locked in on any WR that high with glaring needs at Edge and OT. OT especially.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well no, nobody can know, but they can suspect. Plus I'd expect teams hear from agents and league chatter what teams are interested and what rounds they are likely to go in.

For example, Nakue ran 4.57 so the Rams could be confident nobody was taking him very high.
lol. Every player drafted is based on what a team suspects he is.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
But this board is VERY MHJ focused and I don't think the Cards will be close to so locked in on any WR that high with glaring needs at Edge and OT. OT especially.

Call it the Adrian Peterson effect.

We need impact players and solid players who get to 2nd contracts.

What is different this year is we have 2 first round picks. I think we can accomplish both.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I don't care who they draft, there are holes everywhere. Hard to go wrong.

I think most on this board see the biggest need on this team as wr and MHJ appears to be the consensus best wr not only this year but in the last few years.
It’s a year we simply cannot whiff. If this team was to go out and sign Higgins most on this board would be leaning in whole other direction.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

yeah..I agree for the most part. But lets not kid ourselves here... MHJ would not be garnering near as much hype if his name was Stephen Jones.
Hype for the draft isnt all about talent...in todays world clicks are more important and the internet hype machine has had nearly a year of building hype and momentum on their click generators by the time the draft comes around.
with MHJ like with any player you have to examine them as an individual as well as a part of a system..breaking down their individual talents determining how they were used in the college system and how well those traits fit into the system you run.
fortunately some traits...tall, fast, sticky hands, crisp routes...fit into most systems,...but if the kid cannot identify the soft spot in a zone he is still gonna fail.. these draft sites can give you a general view of what some league scouts think about a guy...but the specific guy they talk to may be new, or biased, or better at evaluating big men instead of wideouts... its evident when you check multiple sites and see so many things regurgitated. Often with the same verbiage, that most of these sites are just sharing each others opinions,,,,.. in the nfl often the biggest difference between a first rounder and a third rounder is not the player at all... but how many chances they will get to prove themselves

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah..I agree for the most part. But lets not kid ourselves here... MHJ would not be garnering near as much hype if his name was Stephen Jones.
Hype for the draft isnt all about talent...in todays world clicks are more important and the internet hype machine has had nearly a year of building hype and momentum on their click generators by the time the draft comes around.
with MHJ like with any player you have to examine them as an individual as well as a part of a system..breaking down their individual talents determining how they were used in the college system and how well those traits fit into the system you run.
fortunately some traits...tall, fast, sticky hands, crisp routes...fit into most systems,...but if the kid cannot identify the soft spot in a zone he is still gonna fail.. these draft sites can give you a general view of what some league scouts think about a guy...but the specific guy they talk to may be new, or biased, or better at evaluating big men instead of wideouts... its evident when you check multiple sites and see so many things regurgitated. Often with the same verbiage, that most of these sites are just sharing each others opinions,,,,.. in the nfl often the biggest difference between a first rounder and a third rounder is not the player at all... but how many chances they will get to prove themselves
Plausible thought. Although I don’t think that professional scouts and evaluators are influence by clicks. We are for sure.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It’s funny that people use St. Brown and others drafted later that have become successful players while completely ignoring the dozens of WR drafted in those rounds who have zero impact and talk like it’s the norm.

Yes, you can find a WR later in the draft that pans out but I’ll take my chances on the higher rated 1st round guys becoming impact players.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It’s funny that people use St. Brown and others drafted later that have become successful players while completely ignoring the dozens of WR drafted in those rounds who have zero impact and talk like it’s the norm.

Nobody is disputing that...you missed the point of the conversation.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Major need at WR and you're advocating waiting until the mid rounds to take one? Thank goodness you aren't Monti! When should we take another tackle, the fifth round?