At this point why is Kyler better than Dobbs?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KM turned into a pumpkin right in front of our eyes

DC's figured him out
Schemes were bad
He got into bad habits
His spin move no longer worked
He was not going through his reads

IMO it's mostly mental for him
Reading the defense
Calling audibles
Working under center to use play action
Physically he needs to learn to work in the pocket.
Slide and move up to avoid the rush
Not take off running backwards at the first movement on the Oline

Study as much film as you can KM it will help you to elevate your game and get your confidence back

Dobbs is doing those things but he does not have the arm, skills or talent of KM

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Why? It’s a question. There are , were a lot of Kyler haters on this site and it wasn’t that long ago. Suddenly Kyler got a new PR manager and he’s smiling more and there’s love in Arizona?
How much talk has gone on here with “ trade Kyler”?
It’s a legit question when you consider his dependency on his running and scrambling after this injury.

I'm not going to phoo phoo your question Slan, because in the back of my mind, I was thinking that for two games, Dobbs has outplayed 2022 Murray.

I think there was a similar discussion after Colt won a couple of games back in 2021 and Murray faded a little down the stretch that year.

But I think the conventional answer to your question is kind of what Krang alluded to.

On average, Murray (over his career, including high school) is a little more accurate than Dobbs, can push it down field a little better, and is a little more dynamic runner.

Astro is playing out of his mind right now though and I love it. Let's trade him to the Jets for a first when Murray comes back. j/k :)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Why? It’s a question. There are , were a lot of Kyler haters on this site and it wasn’t that long ago. Suddenly Kyler got a new PR manager and he’s smiling more and there’s love in Arizona?
How much talk has gone on here with “ trade Kyler”?
It’s a legit question when you consider his dependency on his running and scrambling after this injury.
Because Dobbs is a replacement level QB and Kyler is above replacement. Better arm strength. Better release. Better mobility. Creates splash plays. He impacts how teams play coverage and rush.

So many reasons even a Kyler skeptic can see.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
If the Oline protects Murray, he’s a far better QB than Dobbs. If not then they both stink.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to leave this here.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seriously.

What makes you think Kyler is better than Dobbs?
History? Means nothing.
College? Means nothing.
Running? Hmm. Dobbs is faster. Murray is quicker.
Scrambling? Okay.
Accuracy? Didn’t Kyler have the worse deep ball pct?
Playing under center? Well, we don’t know.
Reading a defense? Hmmm.
His progressions? Hmmm.
Salary? Ahhhh!

How many people laughed when the Seahawks traded Russell Wilson and signed Geno Smith?

I’d really like your opinion on why you think Murray should simply be handed the ball when he is ready to play.

Because Dobbs is a replacement level QB and Kyler is above replacement. Better arm strength. Better release. Better mobility. Creates splash plays. He impacts how teams play coverage and rush.

So many reasons even a Kyler skeptic can see.
I think ultimately it really depends on what kinda offense is Petzing running. Kyler is the better QB. There is a question if after coming off injury is Kyler the better fit as soon as he touches the field.

The offense is clearly Cleveland Browns esque. However, you could argue that offense wasnt ideal for Baker or even the more talented Deshaun Watson. Chubb getting hurt has forced them to adapt more to Watson. That Cleveland offense is very much about timing and off of play action.

My (hopeful) theory is that the team acquired Dobbs because he can run the Cleveland offense until Kyler comes back. However, when Kyler returns we see more of the Shane Steichen Eagles/Colts style offense to adapt to Kyler's skillset. I say this because Gannon seemed to imply his offense would be sorta Philly style but with the under center play action stuff thrown in.

We'll see if thats true or not.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only thing Dobbs Is better(a lot better) then Murray Is toughness, isnt afraid to get hit and he can throw the football in the last second even if a passrusher Is on his face
This is a bad take. You don't run as much as Kyler if you're afraid to get hit. Also, Dobbs is playing for an opportunity and will take more risks to his body. I guarantee the moment he gets paid, that changes.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think ultimately it really depends on what kinda offense is Petzing is running. Kyler is the better QB. There is a question if after coming off injury is Kyler the better fit as soon as he touches the field.

The offense is clearly Cleveland Browns esque. However, you could argue that offense wasnt ideal for Baker or even the more talented Deshaun Watson. Its very much about timing.

My (hopeful) theory is that the team acquired Dobbs because he can run the Cleveland offense until Kyler comes back. However, when Kyler returns we see more of the Shane Steichen Eagles/Colts style offense to adapt to Kyler's skillset. I say this because Gannon seemed to imply his offense would be sorta Philly style but with the under center play action stuff thrown in.

We'll see if thats true or not.
Except that the coaching staff already said they'll play to the strength of the players instead of making players adapt. They found what is working foe Dobbs and they will do the same for Kyler.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
So you have been infatuated with Kyler this whole time? Have you ever been on the side of trade Kyler for draft picks? If so that’s fine. Then Kyler’s your man. I’m fine with that.
I’m one of the most critical posters on Kyler on this board. Some bozo here thinks I think Minshew is better. So yeah, for me to say that Kyler is better than a QB who has one win and has played on like four teams in his career is pretty telling

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me 2021 Kyler isn't better than current starter Dobbs.
Unquestionably Murray has more talent than Dobbs. I think the premise of this thread is that we don't know whether we'll ever see first half of 2021 Murray again, and we don't know how Murray will play in the new O.

2022 Murray was ranked 23rd in the league in passer rating at 87 and 20th in QBR at 53.6, and added 38 yards per game rushing (right at his career average). Then he tore his ACL and now he has to learn a new offense. After 3 games including one he started after 2 weeks with the team, Dobbs is 10th in the league in passer rating at 98 and 11th in QBR at 61.6, and added 31 yards per game rushing.

Edited to add: Murray has shown that he's capable of FAR more than Dobbs has ever shown. But by the time he gets on the field this season, he'll be about two years, a torn ACL, a new system, and a full season's worth of sub par play removed from the days when we could all confidently say that he'd be a top 5-10 QB for the next decade.

Last edited:

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Need the function here that twitter has.... @remind_me_in_2_months and you get tagged in the same post 2 months later

this thread has Thanksgiving laughter written all over it