At this point why is Kyler better than Dobbs?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So I shared this in the Josh Dobbs thread. The under center thing isn't as awesome as we were lead to believe. It's far better than Kliff's 80+% shotgun, but so far, Dobbs is 64% shotgun...and the rushing and passing stats are far better in the gun, than under center. Under center is just helping keep defenses honest and allowing more natural play action opportunities.

Also note that they are almost exclusively huddling and only a handful of no-huddle snaps have been taken. That's, to me, is super important. It shows patience and confidence in the offensive playcalls and scheme...they aren't just running to the line all haphazard.

Murray will be just fine, IMO, in this offense.

You must be registered for see images attach

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Someone on Twitter had a poll about "Would you trade Dobbs for a 3rd round pick to the Jets when Kyler is healthy?"

Dobbs is doing great and he's a good dude. But I think his ceiling is very good backup that can win within structure if the OC has a great gameplan.
To be fair, Dobbs probably would be a major upgrade over Wilson, and you’d absolutely take a third round pick for him.

Dobbs is Colt McCoy 2.0.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, Dobbs probably would be a major upgrade over Wilson, and you’d absolutely take a third round pick for him.

Dobbs is Colt McCoy 2.0.
I posted the question in the other thread and got a few thumbs downs. Interesting enough, one was from someone who thought we got fleeced in giving up a 5 for Dobbs. Can't make some people happy apparently.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Dobbs is Colt McCoy 2.0.

Oh yeah no doubt. Ain't nobody trading a 3rd for him though, that was the silly part.

Like some team is going to offer a 3rd for a guy that's played 6 games and is probably 2-4 at best because he's good in a specific system he's practiced in for over a year.

Dobbs is doing more than expected but I wouldn't expect to drop him into the Jets scheme and have him play well for example.

The reason the Jets tried to get Henne out of retirement is he played in the Jets scheme for Hackett at the Jags.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
one win and we lose our minds
Lol. I’ve been thinking the same thing reading all the threads. Yes, this team is MUCH better than expected. And it’s still 1-2. The win over the cowboys was glorious. But it’s still only one win and aberrations occur. How many people think the Texans are suddenly good around here? The arrow is pointing up and there’s reason for optimism, but you’d think we just qualified for the playoffs if you had no context what week this was. That’s said, no reason not to enjoy!

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry it wasn't a particular dig at you but there has been a little bit of over correction of Dobbs.

Someone on Twitter had a poll about "Would you trade Dobbs for a 3rd round pick to the Jets when Kyler is healthy?"

Dobbs is doing great and he's a good dude. But I think his ceiling is very good backup that can win within structure if the OC has a great gameplan.

I do think there is a likelihood that they don't rush Kyler back until Kyler looks 100% in practice because Dobbs is playing well and the team are behind him.

There's a not insignificant chance that it takes Kyler a while to throw with the anticipation needed to run this offense. It's traditionally been one of his weak points.
No problem Brit. I didn’t take it personal. I DID say we will never score 20 pts. With Dobbs at qb and I’m thrilled to be wrong.
The Murray situation has been very polarizing and I truly was wondering what some people were thinking.
I’ll be the first to admit I soured on Murray the minute he started pouting about his contract. I actually hated being stuck with him because of his contract.
Suddenly, he appears to have improved his apparent attitude. He seems engaged. He’s smiling and I WANT to like him again. I do remember being frustrated with some of his past performances and hope it was the KK conundrum.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I shared this in the Josh Dobbs thread. The under center thing isn't as awesome as we were lead to believe. It's far better than Kliff's 80+% shotgun, but so far, Dobbs is 64% shotgun...and the rushing and passing stats are far better in the gun, than under center. Under center is just helping keep defenses honest and allowing more natural play action opportunities.

Also note that they are almost exclusively huddling and only a handful of no-huddle snaps have been taken. That's, to me, is super important. It shows patience and confidence in the offensive playcalls and scheme...they aren't just running to the line all haphazard.

Murray will be just fine, IMO, in this offense.

You must be registered for see images attach
I agree. The whole thing under center is it does make defense play honest. It helps on bootlegs or moving the pocket.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously.

What makes you think Kyler is better than Dobbs?
History? Means nothing.
College? Means nothing.
Running? Hmm. Dobbs is faster. Murray is quicker.
Scrambling? Okay.
Accuracy? Didn’t Kyler have the worse deep ball pct?
Playing under center? Well, we don’t know.
Reading a defense? Hmmm.
His progressions? Hmmm.
Salary? Ahhhh!

How many people laughed when the Seahawks traded Russell Wilson and signed Geno Smith?

I’d really like your opinion on why you think Murray should simply be handed the ball when he is ready to play.
Hopefully, today you learned why Dobbs isn’t REMOTELY as good as Murray. Not even remotely.