It Really Is This Bad: Projected Starters 2023

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I am if you can move from 2 to 5, while adding multiple high picks.

This years QB crop might be significantly better than last year's crop. If Williams and Maye were in this draft, arguably they would have gone #1 and #2.

Imagine a scenario where the Cardinals end up with #2 and #3, and Atlanta at #5 calls up and offer #5, a 2025 1st, a 2024 2nd, and a 2025 2nd. That's a war chest of draft assets that Atlanta would reasonably offer to get their QB of the future.

I want to see incremental improvement.
It depends. If we want to replace KM, moving from 2 to 5 would be monumentally stupid. If not, and you could still get the player you want at 5, then not moving from 2 to 5 would be stupid. All kinds of scenarios in between. Let's just say it's a good situation to be in :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It depends. If we want to replace KM, moving from 2 to 5 would be monumentally stupid. If not, and you could still get the player you want at 5, then not moving from 2 to 5 would be stupid. All kinds of scenarios in between. Let's just say it's a good situation to be in :)
A good situation is picking 32.

The worst? Picking around 14 every year, and not having a QB.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not. How Cardinals would it be to do that every year thinking you're the smartest guy in the room only to never actually take advantage of the extra top pick? Then again, since we're clearly going to need this season and next season to rebuild this roster, given the missed opportunities, maybe punting yet another season is worth it.
Again, I didn't say do it every year. Just next year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except you just said that this is the type of scenario that you wouldn't do. Since you don't want to 'think you're the smartest guy in the room.' :shrug:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am if you can move from 2 to 5, while adding multiple high picks.

This years QB crop might be significantly better than last year's crop. If Williams and Maye were in this draft, arguably they would have gone #1 and #2.

Imagine a scenario where the Cardinals end up with #2 and #3, and Atlanta at #5 calls up and offer #5, a 2025 1st, a 2024 2nd, and a 2025 2nd. That's a war chest of draft assets that Atlanta would reasonably offer to get their QB of the future.

I want to see incremental improvement.

Yep. Best case scenario is Kyler returns and shows improvement as the season progresses. Kyler gets to a point where he looks very effective in this new offense by the end of the season. The Cardinals offense shows that it can function but the defense just doesn't have the horses yet to keep games close.

At that point either the Cardinals and/or Texans have a very high pick. You can then sell that pick to the highest bidder and land three 1st rounders Plus. They now will have 3 1sts in 2024, 2 in 2025 and 2 in 2026. That is a ton of capital to turn this thing around and have sustained success for years to come.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
All of this Big Mo slander is really bumming me out. I am almost inclined to cancel my tickets to Arizona in 2037 for his Ring of Honor ceremony.

Completely unrelated and absolutely not an emotional response, but Jim Dray is overrated and essentially the Leki Fotu of Cardinal TEs. (how does that feel K9)

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A good situation is picking 32.

The worst? Picking around 14 every year, and not having a QB.
Kansas City traded up from the 22nd overall pick to grab Patrick Mahomes.
Baltimore traded two second round picks to get Larar Jackson.

There are lots of ways to get a QB and to build a roster than wins in the NFL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Right. Teams that weren't picking 14th are much better suited to making moves like that.
Agreed, but being a sub playoff team every year but not bad enough sucks.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And Tom Brady was drafted in the 5th round. These are exceptions to the rule.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall you being one of the posters that said you'd do it every year when it was bandied around at draft time. Is that inaccurate?
I don't believe so, but it could be possible I suppose. I can barely remember what I ate for dinner last week sometimes.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From 2 to 5 is a lot different than going from 3 to 12, was it?
3 to 12, ended up being 3 to 6 after all was said and done, plus a projected top 5 pick next year. But it is quite different to your point.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That the earlier you draft a franchise QB, the more likely the success?
I would argue that the rule is the more you prioritize the QB position, the more you support the QB position, and the more stability to have around your QB, the more likely the success.

Rams eating Goff's contract to get Stafford

Chiefs trading up for Mahomes when they had Alex Smith

The Ravens trading up for Lamar when they had Flacco

Bills trading up for Allen

The 49ers drafting 4 QBs over 8 seasons and trading for Jimmy G in one of those years as well.

The Cowboys drafting Dak Prescott when they had Tony Romo

The Eagles drafting Jalen Hurts despite having Carson Wentz.

These are some of the examples of teams who weren't willing to settle on QB mediocrity, and/or were aggressive in ensuring they had other QB options. If you also notice, most of these teams have decent offensive lines.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would argue that the rule is the more you prioritize the QB position, the more you support the QB position, and the more stability to have around your QB, the more likely the success.

Rams eating Goff's contract to get Stafford

Chiefs trading up for Mahomes when they had Alex Smith

The Ravens trading up for Lamar when they had Flacco

Bills trading up for Allen

The 49ers drafting 4 QBs over 8 seasons and trading for Jimmy G in one of those years as well.

The Cowboys drafting Dak Prescott when they had Tony Romo

The Eagles drafting Jalen Hurts despite having Carson Wentz.

These are some of the examples of teams who weren't willing to settle on QB mediocrity, and/or were aggressive in ensuring they had other QB options. If you also notice, most of these teams have decent offensive lines.

And, and, and dumping Rosen for Kyler.