Eric Bledsoe and his value.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I think a lot of fans are devaluing Bledsoe based on the team issues and win results over the last year. Think this team is a legit post presence from being a very good playoff team even with their youth.

Bledsoe is a force on defense. The kind of player you have to game plan for.

He is not a classic pass first PG or a vocal leader but he can be very a effective player given the right team and chemistry around him.

The addition of Knight gives them the ability to trade him for the post player they need but by no means should they sell him off for scraps.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope. There are alot of games being played right now trying to force the hands of team. Its teams and agents. Right now the Lakers and Cousins' agent are trying to force Sacramento into a trade. I would not be surprised if they want Bledsoe in the end too.

Stick to your guns McD.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd rather see Dual PG 3.0 than trade Bledsoe for a lesser quality player.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think as always we overvalue our players to some degree. That does not mean I don't think Bledsoe has no value. I don't think you let anybody force our hands and give him away or get into a bad deal. Any deal for him must involve an impact player coming back.

He isn't worth a franchise level player in return though in a straight up deal. You would have to sweeten the deal. I too would rather keep him than make a bad trade.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think as always we overvalue our players to some degree. That does not mean I don't think Bledsoe has no value. I don't think you let anybody force our hands and give him away or get into a bad deal. Any deal for him must involve an impact player coming back.

He isn't worth a franchise level player in return though in a straight up deal. You would have to sweeten the deal. I too would rather keep him than make a bad trade.

The only guy that could possibly be overvalued on this team by anyone on this board is Archie Goodwin, and probably ONLY Archie Goodwin. Gone are the days where we overvalue any of our other players. In fact, Bledsoe is sorely undervalued on this board.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only guy that could possibly be overvalued on this team by anyone on this board is Archie Goodwin, and probably ONLY Archie Goodwin. Gone are the days where we overvalue any of our other players. In fact, Bledsoe is sorely undervalued on this board.

When I say he feels overvalued by some to a DEGREE, it's because I read some trade scenarios involving Bledsoe on several other boards. I have been on at least 3 Suns boards who suggest Bledsoe should be traded for team X's best big man for example straight up or with throw ins to make the cap work.

I personally (based on talent not cap considerations) don't think we could get an Aldridge or Cousins for Bledsoe without throwing in more. I don't think Bledsoe is worth a Top 5 Lottery pick straight up either but others did.

Specifically on this board, I actually feel many people on this forum are much more level headed.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When I say he feels overvalued by some to a DEGREE, it's because I read some trade scenarios involving Bledsoe on several other boards. I have been on at least 3 Suns boards who suggest Bledsoe should be traded for team X's best big man for example straight up or with throw ins to make the cap work.

I personally (based on talent not cap considerations) don't think we could get an Aldridge or Cousins for Bledsoe without throwing in more. I don't think Bledsoe is worth a Top 5 Lottery pick straight up either but others did.

Specifically on this board, I actually feel many people on this forum are much more level headed.

Some teams might be willing to get something instead of nothing. I'm not sure the Celtics have that much pull with all their assets.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some teams might be willing to get something instead of nothing. I'm not sure the Celtics have that much pull with all their assets.

DA has traded several picks before right? Sounds like the rest of the league might be starting to get less enamored with stock piling picks.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DA has traded several picks before right? Sounds like the rest of the league might be starting to get less enamored with stock piling picks.

I think the mystery pick of the future is getting less valuable as an asset. Far too often they get endlessly deferred by protections and the original GM that acquired it will likely be gone if its only delivered 5 years later. But I think picks in the present with a concrete position have a lot of weight.

Rich Cho, the Hornets GM, probably wants something to get that team looking good soon, rather than the hope of those Brooklyn picks that the Celtics own landing them a star in 2-3 years, because if the Hornets don't get better he won't be there to cash in those chips.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the mystery pick of the future is getting less valuable as an asset. Far too often they get endlessly deferred by protections and the original GM that acquired it will likely be gone if its only delivered 5 years later. But I think picks in the present with a concrete position have a lot of weight.

Rich Cho, the Hornets GM, probably wants something to get that team looking good soon, rather than the hope of those Brooklyn picks that the Celtics own landing them a star in 2-3 years, because if the Hornets don't get better he won't be there to cash in those chips.

No doubt but I don't remember the last time I had seen a decent pick without protections. Personally, to make the lottery more fun, it would be cool to do away with lottery protections. Force teams to think in the now if they really want to trade future lottery picks for this years lottery pick.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's because of the protection teams can put on draft picks is ridiculous. Protection placed on picks should not be allowed.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Ill throw something out there. What about a package centered around Bledsoe and couple picks (Maybe a Morris twin) for Carmelo Anthony?

Could see that making sense for both teams. Any interest?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ill throw something out there. What about a package centered around Bledsoe and couple picks (Maybe a Morris twin) for Carmelo Anthony?

That scenario crossed my mind, but I decided against posting it due to the inevitable Carmelo hate that is sure to come. Assuming he's healthy, I'd explore it hoping for a Chris Webber to Sacramento/Barkley to Phoenix type of scenario where they took a chance on a talented player with a poor reputation in a losing situation and everything clicked. If he actually had a team around him and could buy into team basketball, the reward could be worth the risk.

Management has been looking for that disgruntled franchise player to pursue. He's available and his name is Carmelo Anthony. Disgruntled franchise players don't come without baggage.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No doubt but I don't remember the last time I had seen a decent pick without protections. Personally, to make the lottery more fun, it would be cool to do away with lottery protections. Force teams to think in the now if they really want to trade future lottery picks for this years lottery pick.
I can recall a few times when teams got burned really bad in recent years by not protecting a pick. The Cavs took on Baron Davis' bad contract, got an unprotected 1st for it from the Clippers and landed Kyrie Irving. Davis' contract cost the Cavs like 26 million but I'm sure they're happy with how it worked out.

And one that didn't get near enough pub at the time, the Nets traded a pick to Portland in exchange for Gerald Wallace. This trade went beyond idiotic. The Nets were going nowhere, well out of the playoff race, even in the lowly East, and while Wallace was a good player at the time, he was a mere 3 months from hitting free agency. They put no (or very little) protection on the pick even though it was clear that it would be in the top 10. So, they rented Wallace for 3 months in a doomed season at the cost of... Damian Lillard. It was a shocker of a dumb move. Billy King is one of the worst GMs of all-time, he had that mantle already just from his time with the Sixers, then somehow Brooklyn decides to let him destroy their franchise too.

A few more hilarious notes on that trade. After giving up a pick that juicy they basically had to re-sign Wallace, and they did, grossly overpaying him to the tune of 40 million for 4 years (this was when the league was shrinking the cap to like 55 million, so 10 mil a year for Wallace was a nightmare). Not even one full season into his brand new terrible contract the Nets decide they need to ditch this albatross, moving him to Boston for unprotected picks in 2014, '16 and '18 and the rights to swap picks in 2017.

So, their pursuit of Wallace cost them Lillard, and most of their first round draft rights for the remainder of the decade.

It has to rank among the dumbest trades of all time. Depending on what Boston gets (and looking at Brooklyn's roster those picks will get juicy) it may go down as the worst trade ever.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

If this team only cared about entertaining and scoring I could see it. However, I want a title and I don't think you can win a title with this guy on your team.

I can recall a few times when teams got burned really bad in recent years by not protecting a pick. The Cavs took on Baron Davis' bad contract, got an unprotected 1st for it from the Clippers and landed Kyrie Irving. Davis' contract cost the Cavs like 26 million but I'm sure they're happy with how it worked out.

And one that didn't get near enough pub at the time, the Nets traded a pick to Portland in exchange for Gerald Wallace. This trade went beyond idiotic. The Nets were going nowhere, well out of the playoff race, even in the lowly East, and while Wallace was a good player at the time, he was a mere 3 months from hitting free agency. They put no (or very little) protection on the pick even though it was clear that it would be in the top 10. So, they rented Wallace for 3 months in a doomed season at the cost of... Damian Lillard. It was a shocker of a dumb move. Billy King is one of the worst GMs of all-time, he had that mantle already just from his time with the Sixers, then somehow Brooklyn decides to let him destroy their franchise too.

A few more hilarious notes on that trade. After giving up a pick that juicy they basically had to re-sign Wallace, and they did, grossly overpaying him to the tune of 40 million for 4 years (this was when the league was shrinking the cap to like 55 million, so 10 mil a year for Wallace was a nightmare). Not even one full season into his brand new terrible contract the Nets decide they need to ditch this albatross, moving him to Boston for unprotected picks in 2014, '16 and '18 and the rights to swap picks in 2017.

So, their pursuit of Wallace cost them Lillard, and most of their first round draft rights for the remainder of the decade.

It has to rank among the dumbest trades of all time. Depending on what Boston gets (and looking at Brooklyn's roster those picks will get juicy) it may go down as the worst trade ever.

I see the beauty in those scenarios though. It's all a gamble. One guy goes before or after in those traded picks....it's probably a great trade. Seriously, they should just ban protections or at least limit them after 1 year.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think I'd throw myself off a cliff.

But I don't think it makes sense for New York anyway. They don't own their pick this year. They have to try to get better, a lot better, and quickly. I don't see how a roster of Bledsoe, a european guy who is 2 years away from contributing and a bunch of nobodies does that.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

But I don't think it makes sense for New York anyway. They don't own their pick this year. They have to try to get better, a lot better, and quickly. I don't see how a roster of Bledsoe, a european guy who is 2 years away from contributing and a bunch of nobodies does that.

They will be bad with or without Carmelo this year.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

I dotn see how a project like Porzingas matches with a close to over the hill Melo who wants to no doubt win now. In fact Pjax said hes 5 years away lmao. I think it could be a nice change and probably the best player we could reasonably get. I see some Barkley parallels if you look past the Carmelo narrative.

Knicks need a PG badly. A Porzingas, Bledsoe, Draft pick haul would get the actual rebuild going and Bled is young enough to be in prime when they actually maybe good.

PG: Knight
SG: Booker?
SF: Melo
PF: Kieff
Center: Len

Could do worse and thats pretty good size.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I listened to ESPN Pod Cast and Ford brought up he would trade Melo now. I agree. They are already regretting that deal.

And as much as I hate to say it, Melo is kinda the perfect Suns player. No defense but can fill it up nightly. And hes an inbelievable scorer. Dont let the narrative fool you he would be the best Sun since Amare/Nash and maybe even before.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't really look past the Carmelo narrative, I was on board with it years ago and the last few years only make me think its more real. He isn't a team player, he rarely tries on defense, he makes the guys around him worse. I don't think you can win built around a guy like him. If he could swallow his ego and play 2nd fiddle to another star then I think he could be a huge asset, but we don't have anyone who could bring him to heel.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't really look past the Carmelo narrative, I was on board with it years ago and the last few years only make me think its more real. He isn't a team player, he rarely tries on defense, he makes the guys around him worse. I don't think you can win built around a guy like him. If he could swallow his ego and play 2nd fiddle to another star then I think he could be a huge asset, but we don't have anyone who could bring him to heel.

The Suns trading for Melo would be a disaster. Let the Knicks trade him to the Lakers for Russell. That's about the best scenario for Melo I can see.

The teams where Melo would make sense would be teams that want to make an impact right now: Washington, Atlanta, Miami, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Chicago, Memphis, OKC, LAL or LAC. Maybe more. But not Phoenix.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pre DRAGIC trade.

7th in offensive efficiency.

After the trade.

28th.

Yup.

Why anyone thinks Bledsoe can lead an NBA team is beyond comprehension.

McDonough does.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pre THOMAS trade.

7th in offensive efficiency.

After the trade.

28th.

Yup.

FTFY.

If you wanna break it down by before and after between the various teams in the PG merry go round then Thomas is clearly had the most impact of the bunch, with a strong argument for Knight being #2 in light of the Bucks collapse. Dragic meanwhile joined a Miami playoff bound Miami team... and promptly helped them tumbled straight out of that position.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson