Ossenfort and Free Agency

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I know you all want this to be true, but it's just not. He's a decent returner and still makes iffy decisions there while being a poor overall WR. He runs bad routes, doesn't block well and for a speed guy can get separation down field. He's 5'7" and makes the most of what he has, but he's not a starting or rotational WR in a good team.

Hmmm... not a "rotational WR player", so you mean like not a WR4 or WR5? Do you at least agree he's a capable back up WR?

banky I don't see how anyone could watch Dorth play and not conclude he has value as back up WR. Especially considering his cap hit.

I think Moore has more speed than Dortch. Probably more of a deep threat. But if to save my life I needed a WR to turn a 5 yard catch into a 25 yard catch and run, I'm choosing Dortch over Moore everytime. Barely even thinking twice about it.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... not a "rotational WR player", so you mean like not a WR4 or WR5? Do you at least agree he's a capable back up WR?

banky I don't see how anyone could watch Dorth play and not conclude he has value as back up WR. Especially considering his cap hit.

I think Moore has more speed that Dortch. Probably more of a deep threat. But if to save my life I needed a WR to turn a 5 yard catch into a 25 yard catch and run, I'm choosing Dortch over Moore everytime. Barely even thinking twice about it.
I agree. We have to many similar wr’s in the room. Thank you Mr. Ex GM.
Draft 1 of the big 3 wr. I pray and hope Wilson develops into what he has shown flashes of but I do not want to depend on that. Add a f/a Wr to the mix. The role of the “ pesky” guy can be Dortch and/or Moore.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I think Moore has more speed that Dortch. Probably more of a deep threat. But if to save my life I needed a WR to turn a 5 yard catch into a 25 yard catch and run, I'm choosing Dortch over Moore everytime. Barely even thinking twice about it.
In fact I have zero issue with Dortch as my slot receiver. He just makes plays time and time again.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I do agree as a 5th, but I don't see a 5th as a rotational guy. Pascal was our 5th most of the season and was not a rotational guy, at least not until the last few weeks because of injuries. 1-4, unless you have star #1, all rotate to spread the snap count out. Hopkins and Fitz were the exceptions here, otherwise you see something closer to this.

Michael Wilson, 58; Greg Dortch, 47; Rondale Moore, 40; Zach Pascal, 19

Dortch has a role and if we upgrade WR like we think we will, he'll get to play his role.

My perfect world
#1 MHJ
#2 Ridley
#3 Wilson
#4 Moore
#5 Dorch

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
1-4, unless you have star #1, all rotate to spread the snap count out.
I don't know if you see this anywhere else in the NFL, especially among successful offenses. Most WRs have their role and are always out there in 1, 2, 3 WR sets. I've never see a team trying to balance snaps among their WR corps like many teams to with IDL.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you see this anywhere else in the NFL, especially among successful offenses. Most WRs have their role and are always out there in 1, 2, 3 WR sets. I've never see a team trying to balance snaps among their WR corps like many teams to with IDL.
Yeah, you probably right. I had teams like KC in mind with 7 #3s last year and had a heavy rotation, but it is not the norm now that I look closer

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do agree as a 5th, but I don't see a 5th as a rotational guy. Pascal was our 5th most of the season and was not a rotational guy, at least not until the last few weeks because of injuries. 1-4, unless you have star #1, all rotate to spread the snap count out. Hopkins and Fitz were the exceptions here, otherwise you see something closer to this.

Dortch has a role and if we upgrade WR like we think we will, he'll get to play his role.

My perfect world
#1 MHJ
#2 Ridley
#3 Wilson
#4 Moore
#5 Dorch
Scary good!

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

My perfect world
#1 MHJ
#2 Ridley
#3 Wilson
#4 Moore
#5 Dorch

#1 MHJ
#2 Holywood on a one-year prove it deal.
#3 Wilson
#4 Moore
#5 Dortch

Add: If w/o is the best player available with our 4th. round pick.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My perfect world
#1 MHJ
#2 Ridley
#3 Wilson
#4 Moore
#5 Dorch
I think I’d switch out Ridley for Tyler Boyd. Big slot receiver who blocks and would come a little cheaper without the risk of problems.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think I’d switch out Ridley for Tyler Boyd. Big slot receiver who blocks and would come a little cheaper without the risk of problems.
Boyd is an interesting fit, but he does kind of complicate Dortch's fit, not that it should be considered too much really. If I'm spending FA money on a receiver, I'm first looking for an outside receiver.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boyd is an interesting fit, but he does kind of complicate Dortch's fit, not that it should be considered too much really. If I'm spending FA money on a receiver, I'm first looking for an outside receiver.
I just want us to move on from Brown but I don’t think we are going to. I see Dortch as a 4-5 Wr and I see him as situation pesky guy. I want him here for sure.
All this is based on drafting one of the big 3.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Neither Greg Dortch or Rondale Moore should complicate any decisions made by this franchise going forward

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boyd is interesting, but is 29 and his numbers are on the decline. He's needs to be pretty cheap, but I do like his size. I fear AJ Green part 2 here

Boyd
You must be registered for see images attach

Green

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Boyd is interesting, but is 29 and his numbers are on the decline. He's needs to be pretty cheap, but I do like his size. I fear AJ Green part 2 here

Boyd

Green
His decline in numbers kinda correlates with the arrival of Chase and emergence of Higgins. Slightly different than AJs decline, I think. Should still be cautious though.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His decline in numbers kinda correlates with the arrival of Chase and emergence of Higgins. Slightly different than AJs decline, I think. Should still be cautious though.
Higgins had his worst year as a pro and missed 7 games, boy still had more TDs 3 than Boyd on 25 less receptions. Feels like more of a gamble to me than Ridley.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That we’re debating Moore vs Dortch should tell you everything you need to know about Moore’s quality.

Fine as a fourth or fifth option in 2024 but gone thereafter. Two coaching staffs have envisioned him as a deep shot option and then reconsidered before the end of training camp.
Pew, pew, pew . . . didn’t know blasters could shoot blanks.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I really think we need an outside threat more than anything, but Boyd is good enough.

Ridley's probably the correct kind of gamble for us to make since we can't guarantee getting MHJ. But it all comes down to price. I wonder if he'd agree to a contract heavily tied to incentives like playing time, limiting our risk if he gambles again or has a mental break.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really think we need an outside threat more than anything, but Boyd is good enough.

Ridley's probably the correct kind of gamble for us to make since we can't guarantee getting MHJ. But it all comes down to price. I wonder if he'd agree to a contract heavily tied to incentives like playing time, limiting our risk if he gambles again or has a mental break.
You know, I like this approach. Ridley would be an “A” signing , but man , the risk, eeks. Imagine a wr room with MHJ, Ridley, Wilson. Now thrown in McBride, wow.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You know, I like this approach. Ridley would be an “A” signing , but man , the risk, eeks. Imagine a wr room with MHJ, Ridley, Wilson. Now thrown in McBride, wow.
What’s the risk? He’s going to gamble again and lose out on 10’s of millions ? I don’t think so. He got hammered as an example on that suspension. I think he will maximize the next 3 years of his prime… I don’t recall him having any other character issues.

He is 29 though…entered as an old rookie at 24

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What’s the risk? He’s going to gamble again and lose out on 10’s of millions ? I don’t think so. He got hammered as an example on that suspension. I think he will maximize the next 3 years of his prime… I don’t recall him having any other character issues.

He is 29 though…entered as an old rookie at 24
Not to speak for him, but the risk is that he left the Falcons due to depression before he even got in trouble for gambling. He just left. I'm someone who struggles with depression, but I'm aware I'm a risk. If I stacked it with a risk of permanent suspension from my industry due to gambling, yikes.

You're missing another major character issue by far, and a one strike, you're out situation.