Pick Your Draft Approach

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't even classify WR as a "sexy pick". That's a premium pick.

When I think of sexy picks, I think of non-premium positions where like a Brock Bowers.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even classify WR as a "sexy pick". That's a premium pick.

When I think of sexy picks, I think of non-premium positions where like a Brock Bowers.

I've always thought the term "Sexy Pick" was someone that would sell jerseys or tickets. Like a big name QB or WR.

Usually a Lineman in the early first round isn't going to sell many Jerseys or tickets.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah but if you drafted a multi-All Pro at LT and got 60% of MHJ performance that's a win.

Something like 75% of Pro Bowl OTs are drafted in round one, and the same isn't said about WR.

I'm all for MHJ however because I think Kyler desperately needs a true #1 receiver.
I know there's no guarantees when it comes to these guys' futures in the league, but I'm willing to bet Franklin will not even give you 60% performance of the MHJR and I like Franklin.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I've always thought the term "Sexy Pick" was someone that would sell jerseys or tickets. Like a big name QB or WR.

Usually a Lineman in the early first round isn't going to sell many Jerseys or tickets.
Exactly.

Drafting a LT at #2 is the antithesis of what the Cardinals have always done, which is why it should be considered.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry, I watch most Penn State games and Chop Robinson was rushing off the edge and he has an incredible quick first step.
I got to see him in 4 games. You are right about speed. He’s very quick. He is not as strong as he’ll need to be and he’s a little stiff, that restricts his bend. He’ll also need to get better at holding the edge to be a top NFL player. He’ll play at the next level and if he works hard he’ll be effective.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I'm all in on Verse. Physical with speed. Violent tackler. Just what the doctor ordered for the Cardinals.

I think as the draft season really starts to take off in a couple of months, Verse will move up the boards to the top 10. That means the Cardinals would probably have move up from the Houston pick to snag him.

You must be registered for see images attach
I’ve watched every one of his games this year. I like him, but he has games where he just disappears.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Barring a catastrophic event, MH is going to be the top WR taken. It's not even a debate or close. I'd bet anything on it.
Did you see my post, think it's in prospect thread, showing what Harrison has done against the best defenses/teams he's faced. He's destroyed all of them except ND.
No issue here. He’s easily the top WR.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I would struggle with Monti taking an OT over MHJ because I feel he could easily trade down and get to the same point. IMO a failure in the draft process.
I think that’s exactly what he’d do if he goes OT.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Exactly.

Drafting a LT at #2 is the antithesis of what the Cardinals have always done, which is why it should be considered.
The tried that back in 2001 and the dude was a bust then became an All Pro OG with DAL. I am torn between Alt and Fashanu but I'd go with Alt.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It seems like many are forgetting, Paris Johnson was drafted to be the long term LT. He wasn’t drafted to play RT long term. If he was, that’s a bad pick.

LT is still the premium position and worthy of a top pick. RT, not so much.
Lane Johnson is the only guy that comes to mind that I think was drafted to be RT that high.

Sewell is like PJ, playing RT but he’ll be on the left soon.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
PJJ's floor is DJ Humphries

He is already performing as well as DJ did in his first year which was actually his 2nd year in the league (he rode the pine all year in 2015).

I don't know what we are going to do with DJ now but I am pretty sure PJJ will be the next LT.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, thanks for laying out our options. As a fan I'm hoping for MHJ and a surprise second first round pick, someone who fell through the cracks, and we didn't expect him to be there. Or possibly trade out of the Texans pick, for either a later first round pick plus another second round pick. In any case the 2024 Draft should be one of our most interesting drafts ever.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I've seen the "Franchise LT" being bandied about with Fashanu and Alt is pretty darn close.

WR is a sexy pick, but you can find equal performance in round two with a guy like Franklin, but the same isn't as likely to be true with LT.
Maybe but not if MHJ lives up to potential. There are always rare exceptions, but I'm not going to say we'll find a Larry Fitz or Jamar Chase performance later in the draft. I do agree it is more likely than finding an elite LT in round two. That said, right now we need the elite WR because we have a starting LT and drafted the LTotF last year in the top 10. We have to manage our resources well and actually have a real target at WR, especially a game changer.

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah but if you drafted a multi-All Pro at LT and got 60% of MHJ performance that's a win.

Something like 75% of Pro Bowl OTs are drafted in round one, and the same isn't said about WR.

I'm all for MHJ however because I think Kyler desperately needs a true #1 receiver.
Meh, not with this decroded crap heap of a WR room.

Stout

Reaction score

He is already performing as well as DJ did in his first year which was actually his 2nd year in the league (he rode the pine all year in 2015).

I don't know what we are going to do with DJ now but I am pretty sure PJJ will be the next LT.
He is far and away better than DJ in his first two seasons. He got a helmet in each game, which blows DJ's first season out of the water already.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like many are forgetting, Paris Johnson was drafted to be the long term LT. He wasn’t drafted to play RT long term. If he was, that’s a bad pick.

LT is still the premium position and worthy of a top pick. RT, not so much.
Lane Johnson is the only guy that comes to mind that I think was drafted to be RT that high.

Sewell is like PJ, playing RT but he’ll be on the left soon.
I don’t know. Things have changed. I think RT is just as important. Defenses are constantly move players around. This week Watt will be on the left then the right and anywhere in between. We saw that with Donald last week.

The question I have is if we were to get one of the premier OT’s in this draft would we let Humphries walk? Not sure of the cap implications but I’d want to keep him at least one more year.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Leonard Davis isn't Fashanu.
He was coming out of college. First Team All Big 12, 1st Team Consensus All American, 2x Outland Trophy Finalist and Lombardi semi finalist. He wasn't Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden but was a 2nd Team All Pro and 3x Pro Bowler at OG (just with another team) so you can't say he was a bust by any means. It was more of an OL coaching failure on ARZ's part.

Fashanu looks like he can be a elite LT but its not a lock. As we've seen many times, draft position does not equate to success. There have been many OT taken in Top 10 that don't pan out. Not saying Fashanu or Alt will be a bust but temper expectations in case they aren't immediate successes.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I don’t know. Things have changed. I think RT is just as important. Defenses are constantly move players around. This week Watt will be on the left then the right and anywhere in between. We saw that with Donald last week.

The question I have is if we were to get one of the premier OT’s in this draft would we let Humphries walk? Not sure of the cap implications but I’d want to keep him at least one more year.
Many OTs play guard for a season before moving outside.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think he Is performing much Better then DJ

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
There are seldom opportunities to select “sure things” in the draft. In fact the last one I recommended was Eli Manning. I maintained he wasn’t as good as Peyton, but he would be a productive starter for a long time. This year I think Harrison is a certain Pro Bowl player. There is no question this is a great (not jus good) WR pool. They could certainly trade down, get picks and still draft a productive receiver. I just think back to the Cards’ lone Super Bowl appearance. I remember that late game pass reception Fitzgerald made that almost was enough for a win. It’s a cliche, but like many it became one because it’s often true. Really great players make great plays in the big games. That’s why you take Harrison. If the game is on the line, you want Harrison as your target.

A top OT would be valuable. Harrison would be game changing. Besides the Cards can get an excellent OT with that Texas pick. Harrison is the best player in this draft and you can’t pass on the best player. Taking him is never a mistake.