MadCards 2024 Cardinals Offseason Plan

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the 2023 season officially in the rear view mirror it's time to look forward to where the Cardinals go in 2024. Monti has already come out and said that the core of this team will be built through the draft. He didn't sound like a man who is going to spend big dollars on High Priced FAs. Instead I believe that he will bring in midling lower risk FAs similar to Kyzir White last season. I expect the FAs that the Cardinals do bring in to be very Defense heavy this offseason. Even with the amount of purging that occured last season, the Cardinals only have about $35M of effective cap space to start with in 2024 when you consider rookie contracts and such.

The Cardinals don't have any major pending FAs of their own that they need to resign and I don't believe they need to cut anyone at this point.

So here are some targets that i think the Cardinals could realistically target and land during the FA period. I also included how I think the Cardinals could structure the contracts to get all of these players to fit the small amount of cap space that the Cardinals are working with in 2024. It's broken up by year and shows the projected salary for the year and total cap hit for the year that includes the bonuses.

You must be registered for see images attach

#1: WR TYLER BOYD, CINCINNATI BENGALS
The Cardinals need to improve their depth at the WR position. Boyd would provide a solid veteran presence to the WR room and has good size at 6'2" 203lbs.

Contract Projection: Two years, $21 million ($10.5 million per year), $11 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.5M $7M
2025 $9.5M $15M

#2: DI FLETCHER COX, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
Veteran presence that knows the defensive system that JG likes to run. Still a force in the middle he would be a great rotational piece to rotate with a young NT that I have the Cardinals selecting in the Draft this year.

Contract Projection: One year, $9 million fully guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1M $5M
2025 Void $4M

#3: DI SHELDON RANKINS, HOUSTON TEXANS
The Cardinals need to improve all along the DL and Rankins would be a solid vet that doesn't break the bank.

Contract Projection: Two years, $20 million ($10 million per year), $12 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.5M $5.5M
2025 $6.5M $10.5M
2026 Void $4M

#4: CB SEAN MURPHY-BUNTING, TENNESSEE TITANS
I don't see the Cardinals going after a big name high priced CB in FA. I think they go after a decent starter like Murphy-Bunting and let him compete with the two young kids from the 2023 draft along with some rookies that I have the Cardinals selecting in the middle/late rounds of the 2024 draft.

Contract Projection: Two years, $14 million ($7 million per year), $9 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.5M $4.5M
2025 $3.5M $6.5M
2026 Void $3M

#5: EDGE DORANCE ARMSTRONG, DALLAS COWBOYS
Not a big household name but another guy who can help along the defensive front. Armstrong is coming off of a two year deal with the Cowboys where he totaled 16 sacks. The Cardinals like to rotate their defensive front to keep them fresh and Armstrong would be a part of that rotation.

Contract Projection: Three years, $25.5 million ($8.5 million per year), $15.5 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1M $4.9M
2025 $3M $6.9M
2026 $6M $9.9M
2027 Void $3.9M

#6: LB AZEEZ AL-SHAAIR, TENNESSEE TITANS
The former 49er had a career season as a full time starter with his new team in Tennessee. He would be a nice piece to line up next to Kyzir White.

Contract Projection: Three years, $20.25 million ($6.75 million per year), $11.5 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.75M $5.6M
2025 $2M $5.8M
2026 $5M $8.8M

#7: WR NICK WESTBROOK-IKHINE , TENNESSEE TITANS
Massive frame to give the Cardinals a big body on the outside.

Contract Projection: One year, $1.64 million ($1.64 million per year), $0.5 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.14M $1.7M

With these 7 free agents signings the Cardinals will have added about $33M to their 2024 cap.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Draft the Cardinals focus on best players available at positions of need. Unfortunetly I see MHJr getting drafted right before the Cardinals pick. So they turn the #4 pick into some extra draft capital by trading with QB hungry Atlanta:

TRADE: Falcon trade #8, #43, 2025 2nd, and 2025 5th for the Cardinals #4.

#8: WR Rome Odunze
6'3" 215 lbs Wash
The Cardinals miss out on MHJ but still land a big bodied WR to give Kyler another weapon on the outside.

TRADE: Cardinals trade #27, #90 for the Miami #21

#21: RT Tyler Guyton
6'7" 328 lbs Okla
A big run on OTs happens in the middle of the first round. The Cardinals are forced to trade up a few spots and snag Tyler Guyton. Guyton is a big powerful tackle that is a little bit raw. With some proper teaching he could become a very good OT as the has all of the physical tools.

#35: NT T’Vondre Sweat
6'4" 363 lbs Texas
Sweat is a mountain of a man. He will clog the middle for years to come.

#43: EDGE Darius Robinson
6'5" 286 lbs Missouri
Robinson is a very strong edge rusher. The Cardinals believe that he can develop into a reliable edge defender.

#66: S Javon Bullard
5'10" 197 lbs Georgia
Hard hitting versatile safety that can also cover. He had a very strong senior bowl.

#71: RB Braelon Allen
6'2" 245 lbs Wisconsin
James Conner clone that will eventually take over the reigns at RB in a year or two. Punishing running style that wears defenses down.

#105: DT Braden Fiske
6'3" 295lbs FSU
Older senior who has a non stop motor. Quick off the line. He also had a very strong showing at the Senior Bowl against his peers.

#137: CB Chau Smith-Wade
5'11 175 lbs Wash St.
The Wash St CB put on a show during the Senior Bowl. Doesn't have great size but showed the fluid movements that you like to see from a DB in coverage.

#161: DT Myles Murphy
6'5" 310 lbs UNC
The Cardinals continue to add beef to the DL.

#188: CB Chigozie Anusiem
6'1" 200 lbs CSU
The Cardinals take a flyer on the Colorado St physical and aggressive DB.

#224: G Mason McCormick
6' 4" 310 lbs South Dakota St
McCormick really stood out during the East West Shrine game where he opened a bunch of eyes. His physical style of play would fit nicely with the Cardinals offense.

#241: LB Darius Mausau
6'0" 234 lbs UCLA
A respected leader who flies all over the field.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
#1: WR TYLER BOYD, CINCINNATI BENGALS
The Cardinals need to improve their depth at the WR position. Boyd would provide a solid veteran presence to the WR room and has good size at 6'2" 203lbs.

Contract Projection: Two years, $21 million ($10.5 million per year), $11 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.5M $7M
2025 $9.5M $15M

I don't know what a 30 year old depth WR is going to do for you at $10.5 million per year. I expect will take care of this position with more of a "Kyzir White but make it a WR" guy.

#2: DI FLETCHER COX, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
Veteran presence that knows the defensive system that JG likes to run. Still a force in the middle he would be a great rotational piece to rotate with a young NT that I have the Cardinals selecting in the Draft this year.

Contract Projection: One year, $9 million fully guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1M $5M
2025 Void $4M

Why is Fletcher Cox coming here? For the golf? He's spent the past 11 seasons in Philly; I'm sure they could find $9 million for him there if he wants to keep playing.

#3: DI SHELDON RANKINS, HOUSTON TEXANS
The Cardinals need to improve all along the DL and Rankins would be a solid vet that doesn't break the bank.

Contract Projection: Two years, $20 million ($10 million per year), $12 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.5M $5.5M
2025 $6.5M $10.5M
2026 Void $4M
This just seems like a name-brand player. Again, he's 30; maybe he's part of the next Arizona Cardinals playoff team, but probably not. But he might end up the top DT on the market.

#4: CB SEAN MURPHY-BUNTING, TENNESSEE TITANS
I don't see the Cardinals going after a big name high priced CB in FA. I think they go after a decent starter like Murphy-Bunting and let him compete with the two young kids from the 2023 draft along with some rookies that I have the Cardinals selecting in the middle/late rounds of the 2024 draft.

Contract Projection: Two years, $14 million ($7 million per year), $9 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.5M $4.5M
2025 $3.5M $6.5M
2026 Void $3M

Interesting culture fit. Murphy-Bunting is a notorious pot-stirrer.

#5: EDGE DORANCE ARMSTRONG, DALLAS COWBOYS
Not a big household name but another guy who can help along the defensive front. Armstrong is coming off of a two year deal with the Cowboys where he totaled 16 sacks. The Cardinals like to rotate their defensive front to keep them fresh and Armstrong would be a part of that rotation.

Contract Projection: Three years, $25.5 million ($8.5 million per year), $15.5 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1M $4.9M
2025 $3M $6.9M
2026 $6M $9.9M
2027 Void $3.9M

This is the kind of move I absolutely expect Monty to make. I love the idea of this guy.

#6: LB AZEEZ AL-SHAAIR, TENNESSEE TITANS
The former 49er had a career season as a full time starter with his new team in Tennessee. He would be a nice piece to line up next to Kyzir White.

Contract Projection: Three years, $20.25 million ($6.75 million per year), $11.5 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.75M $5.6M
2025 $2M $5.8M
2026 $5M $8.8M

Okay. But isn't this the kind of guy you can get off the street?
#7: WR NICK WESTBROOK-IKHINE , TENNESSEE TITANS
Massive frame to give the Cardinals a big body on the outside.

Contract Projection: One year, $1.64 million ($1.64 million per year), $0.5 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.14M $1.7M

Who ends up playing Left Guard in training camp in your projection?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
In the Draft the Cardinals focus on best players available at positions of need. Unfortunetly I see MHJr getting drafted right before the Cardinals pick. So they turn the #4 pick into some extra draft capital by trading with QB hungry Atlanta:

TRADE: Falcon trade #8, #43, 2025 2nd, and 2025 5th for the Cardinals #4.

#8: WR Rome Odunze
6'3" 215 lbs Wash
The Cardinals miss out on MHJ but still land a big bodied WR to give Kyler another weapon on the outside.

TRADE: Cardinals trade #27, #90 for the Miami #21

#21: RT Tyler Guyton
6'7" 328 lbs Okla
A big run on OTs happens in the middle of the first round. The Cardinals are forced to trade up a few spots and snag Tyler Guyton. Guyton is a big powerful tackle that is a little bit raw. With some proper teaching he could become a very good OT as the has all of the physical tools.

#35: NT T’Vondre Sweat
6'4" 363 lbs Texas
Sweat is a mountain of a man. He will clog the middle for years to come.

#43: EDGE Darius Robinson
6'5" 286 lbs Missouri
Robinson is a very strong edge rusher. The Cardinals believe that he can develop into a reliable edge defender.

#66: S Javon Bullard
5'10" 197 lbs Georgia
Hard hitting versatile safety that can also cover. He had a very strong senior bowl.

#71: RB Braelon Allen
6'2" 245 lbs Wisconsin
James Conner clone that will eventually take over the reigns at RB in a year or two. Punishing running style that wears defenses down.

#105: DT Braden Fiske
6'3" 295lbs FSU
Older senior who has a non stop motor. Quick off the line. He also had a very strong showing at the Senior Bowl against his peers.

#137: CB Chau Smith-Wade
5'11 175 lbs Wash St.
The Wash St CB put on a show during the Senior Bowl. Doesn't have great size but showed the fluid movements that you like to see from a DB in coverage.

#161: DT Myles Murphy
6'5" 310 lbs UNC
The Cardinals continue to add beef to the DL.

#188: CB Chigozie Anusiem
6'1" 200 lbs CSU
The Cardinals take a flyer on the Colorado St physical and aggressive DB.

#224: G Mason McCormick
6' 4" 310 lbs South Dakota St
McCormick really stood out during the East West Shrine game where he opened a bunch of eyes. His physical style of play would fit nicely with the Cardinals offense.

#241: LB Darius Mausau
6'0" 234 lbs UCLA
A respected leader who flies all over the field.
I agree with the premise of the plan and I like the overall direction.
Except... Need an OG no later than the third round and another rookie wr 6'3 or better

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
two thoughts:

1. i think we need to manage our expectations on UFA signings. i think its going to be similar or slightly better than last year.

2. IMO: this isn't the offseason to sign 30+ year old players on the downside. I am applying the K9 "who will be a starter on the next Cardinal playoff team?" rule.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
two thoughts:

1. i think we need to manage our expectations on UFA signings. i think its going to be similar or slightly better than last year.

2. IMO: this isn't the offseason to sign 30+ year old players on the downside. I am applying the K9 "who will be a starter on the next Cardinal playoff team?" rule.
This is the offseason to put yourself in the position to win games. This team is devoid of talent. "Managing expectations" with 41 mil in cap space is a poverty mindset.

DJ Humphries is likely gone.
Budda Baker gone after this season if not cut or traded.
Kyzir White FA after this season.
Froholdt is a FA after this season.
James Conner is a FA after this season.

The Cardinals have 18 players signed for 2025. You know, the season after this one. One of those 18 is DJ.

Top 10 players on the roster after this season.
1 - Kyler Murray
2 - Jalen Thompson
3 - Trey McBride
4 - Paris Johnson
5 - Garrett Williams
6 - Michael Wilson

You can't even fill out a top 10 of best players.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's pure guessing right now, although fun to guess at what it could look like. Having said that, think about how hard these players played for JG, especially the defense this past season. Now imagine having better talent through FA & the draft & then being coached by this staff. Our DL at the end of the year were like signed from practice squads basically & still fought hard. I'm excited about this coaching staff & Ossenfort's vision. I really believe the culture thing makes a world of difference.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Realistic approach. Spend a little more and go after a f/a guard instead of Cox.
Two f/a Wr and adding Odunze? I doubt that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So we aren’t starting a left guard or a tackle opposite PJJ this season got it. Weird, but got it.

Not a fan of the 30 year olds. That’s not building. That’s treading water with a 4 win team.

Like the edge from Dallas and sweat picks. Don’t like the trade down.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I love the post @MadCardDisease.

Dorrance Armstrong would be a really solid target. Every time the Cardinals have played the Cowboys he always makes plays. Whether people like it or not, I can see a lot of 30 year olds being signed to deals that don't break the cap until draft picks can take jobs.

I think Darius Robinson would have to be pick #35. Dude isn't lasting until #43. He might not be available at #35. I think there is a strong argument that he should be considered with #27. I'd line him up at DE and in a few years, he's going to be wreaking havoc on offense.

I really like Sweat and I go back and forth on whether to draft him, but he will be a low snap player in the NFL and I think a guy like McKinley Jackson might get similar results but be available 3rd round or later.

I'm not against trading down and taking Odunze, but there are scenarios where he doesn't last that long. I think there is a good chance that Nabers goes 5 and Odunze goes 6. The Chargers are the key here because they have profound cap issues and will have a ton of major needs.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not a fan of the 30 year olds. That’s not building. That’s treading water with a 4 win team.
I'm of two minds about this. For rotational players who aren't going to distort your payroll, it definitely gives you a higher floor than, like, Jonathan Ledbetter. If you find the right veterans they can build the locker room and culture.

But for the most part, I think you're right. IDL can play effectively into their early 30s. Corey Peters played 1/3 of the defensive snaps for the Jags last year at age 34.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So we aren’t starting a left guard or a tackle opposite PJJ this season got it. Weird, but got it.
Yeah that's a question mark for me as well. If you held a gun to my head, I'd say the Cardinals sign one steady veteran to compete at one spot and a bleh Dennis Daley type for the other.
Depends on the position. Linemen are fine. CBs and skill position? Not so fine.
Like the edge from Dallas and sweat picks. Don’t like the trade down.
I think if MHJ is gone, you'd have to strongly consider it, but its also a questionable move if you want a receiver. Pretty much every team in the top ten could use another receiver so I don't think Odunze makes it to 8.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who ends up playing Left Guard in training camp in your projection?

LG is the least important spot on the OL. So I don't see the Cardinals investing much at that position.

The Cardinals were very high on rookie LG/C Jon Gaines whose season was cut short by a knee injury. So I think he will be in play. I also believe that they will bring in a couple Vet minimum guys as well to compete at LG along with another rookie or two. Again I don't see them investing much at LG.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
LG is the least important spot on the OL. So I don't see the Cardinals investing much at that position.

The Cardinals were very high on rookie LG/C Jon Gaines whose season was cut short by a knee injury. So I think he will be in play. I also believe that they will bring in a couple Vet minimum guys as well to compete at LG along with another rookie or two. Again I don't see them investing much at LG.
And with Beachum, tackle will be ok.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't list every free agent that I think the Cardinals will sign. Only the major ones if that makes sense. I do think they will bring in a couple of vet minimum guys via free agency to compete for the LG job. But think Hjalte Froholdt type signing where people go Who???