Pick Your Draft Approach

netsnjkidd

Veteran
Reaction score
There are seldom opportunities to select “sure things” in the draft. In fact the last one I recommended was Eli Manning. I maintained he wasn’t as good as Peyton, but he would be a productive starter for a long time. This year I think Harrison is a certain Pro Bowl player. There is no question this is a great (not jus good) WR pool. They could certainly trade down, get picks and still draft a productive receiver. I just think back to the Cards’ lone Super Bowl appearance. I remember that late game pass reception Fitzgerald made that almost was enough for a win. It’s a cliche, but like many it became one because it’s often true. Really great players make great plays in the big games. That’s why you take Harrison. If the game is on the line, you want Harrison as your target.

A top OT would be valuable. Harrison would be game changing. Besides the Cards can get an excellent OT with that Texas pick. Harrison is the best player in this draft and you can’t pass on the best player. Taking him is never a mistake.
Scary part it would be the 20th anniversary of Cardinals selecting Larry. This is way to much of a coincidence. The Stars are lining up for this new regime to start this new era with damn near Larry 2.0. Larry aint win us a super bowl but he damn sure put us a min and some change of having our 1st.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Maybe but not if MHJ lives up to potential. There are always rare exceptions, but I'm not going to say we'll find a Larry Fitz or Jamar Chase performance later in the draft.
Chase is good, but so is Davante Adams. The counting numbers 100% support taking a receiver in round two. Heck we just watched a round two receiver, DK Metcalf have a better game than almost every round one receiver in history has ever had.

I used to fully advocate round one wide receivers until @Solar7 provided a break down that showed that round two is the best receiver round.
I do agree it is more likely than finding an elite LT in round two. That said, right now we need the elite WR because we have a starting LT and drafted the LTotF last year in the top 10. We have to manage our resources well and actually have a real target at WR, especially a game changer.
When you are drafting top five, you are looking for building blocks and Fashanu is a fantastic building block. Ignore Humphries for a second and ask yourself the logical question: if I need a LT or a WR, which one should I take?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There are seldom opportunities to select “sure things” in the draft. In fact the last one I recommended was Eli Manning. I maintained he wasn’t as good as Peyton, but he would be a productive starter for a long time. This year I think Harrison is a certain Pro Bowl player. There is no question this is a great (not jus good) WR pool. They could certainly trade down, get picks and still draft a productive receiver. I just think back to the Cards’ lone Super Bowl appearance. I remember that late game pass reception Fitzgerald made that almost was enough for a win. It’s a cliche, but like many it became one because it’s often true. Really great players make great plays in the big games. That’s why you take Harrison. If the game is on the line, you want Harrison as your target.

A top OT would be valuable. Harrison would be game changing. Besides the Cards can get an excellent OT with that Texas pick. Harrison is the best player in this draft and you can’t pass on the best player. Taking him is never a mistake.
I definitely want Harrison, but this receiver class is just so deep that I can understand taking a top OT. Fashanu and Alt are the best tackle prospects to come out in years.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Which speaks very, very highly of the prospect that is ranked #1 in it. Just think how special you gotta be to be the #1 prospect at your position in a class that’s considered deep.
I don't know if that is logically true. Most of our reactions are reactions to hype. I won't be shocked if Odunze, Nabers, or Franklin is the best receiver from this draft. I wouldn't even be shocked if Legette is the best receiver.

I will be if Fashanu or Alt aren't the best tackles.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know if that is logically true. Most of our reactions are reactions to hype. I won't be shocked if Odunze, Nabers, or Franklin is the best receiver from this draft. I wouldn't even be shocked if Legette is the best receiver.

I will be if Fashanu or Alt aren't the best tackles.
I would be hella shocked if Franklin or Legette were the best WRs from this draft. Nabers is the only one from this class that I could somewhat see being the best WR in the class.

Definitely wouldn’t be shocked if Fuaga ended up as the best OT from this class.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If picks stay the same, Trade down to 3 with NE, draft MHJ, then use that draft capital from NE to trade up from 17 to target Alt (may have to add some of our own capital to come up this far) or Newton. Would love to get two big time difference makers.
You know the additional offers we would get for some team wanting MHJ? The capital we would get would really help rebuild this team. Super tempting…

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Im not sure why were even thinking of letting Monti draft an OT at #2. He traded up to get Paris Johnson at #6, and has said he would have taken him at #3. Paris Johnson has not been very good. Darnell Wright is FAR superior. Skoronski would have been a better pick. Steve Avila is better and he went in the 2nd round.

I didnt mind the trade back from 3...and I didnt mind the trade up to # 6...but the pick should have been Jalen Carter, Wright, or Skoronski. We reached for a project OT.

If we just would have stayed at 12 and 33 we could have had Christian Gonzalez (huge need) and Steve Avila.

I guess what Im saying is that for all the praise Monti gets for the trading..probably rightfully so since it set us up for this year....he ended up picking a reach of a player who is struggling badly as a rookie. Can Johnson turn it around, sure...but it would have been nice to take a player in the top 6 that wasnt a project.

This year you need to go with a sure fire Pro-Bowl caliber player, or you need to trade far enough back and stack enough draft capital where a project players is ok. Take Harrison Jr if hes there. If hes not trade back far enough to get another 2nd, 3rd, and 1st next year and go with the multiple swings at the bat approach.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

This is where I’m at. Not often you get a chance to take the best player in a draft.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
"Chargers got: No. 2 overall pick, which they used to draft quarterback Ryan Leaf. Cardinals got: Two first-round picks, a second-round pick and two players and no. 3 overall. " Sounds like good comp. for this year...

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
"Chargers got: No. 2 overall pick, which they used to draft quarterback Ryan Leaf. Cardinals got: Two first-round picks, a second-round pick and two players and no. 3 overall. " Sounds like good comp. for this year...

That sounds like we got 3 first round picks.

We got 2 first round picks, including #3 overall plus all that other stuff.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Not to mention, that Larry Fitzgerald playoff run was probably why we even made it to the Super Bowl in the first place. The Alien was possessed....and transformed into Larry Legend.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Im not sure why were even thinking of letting Monti draft an OT at #2. He traded up to get Paris Johnson at #6, and has said he would have taken him at #3. Paris Johnson has not been very good. Darnell Wright is FAR superior. Skoronski would have been a better pick. Steve Avila is better and he went in the 2nd round.

I didnt mind the trade back from 3...and I didnt mind the trade up to # 6...but the pick should have been Jalen Carter, Wright, or Skoronski. We reached for a project OT.

If we just would have stayed at 12 and 33 we could have had Christian Gonzalez (huge need) and Steve Avila.

I guess what Im saying is that for all the praise Monti gets for the trading..probably rightfully so since it set us up for this year....he ended up picking a reach of a player who is struggling badly as a rookie. Can Johnson turn it around, sure...but it would have been nice to take a player in the top 6 that wasnt a project.

This year you need to go with a sure fire Pro-Bowl caliber player, or you need to trade far enough back and stack enough draft capital where a project players is ok. Take Harrison Jr if hes there. If hes not trade back far enough to get another 2nd, 3rd, and 1st next year and go with the multiple swings at the bat approach.
Because you don't draft players based on their rookie season.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Overall for the year PJJ and Wright have graded out very similarly. Paris seems to have hit the rookie wall but he was excellent in the first half of the year; its Broderick Jones that is playing the best of the OTs right now. But for Jones, the Steelers didn't start him until a few games ago, so he isn't dealing the fatigue that Wright and Paris are. Paris will be stronger and better conditioned for an NFL season next year.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Chase is good, but so is Davante Adams. The counting numbers 100% support taking a receiver in round two. Heck we just watched a round two receiver, DK Metcalf have a better game than almost every round one receiver in history has ever had.

I used to fully advocate round one wide receivers until @Solar7 provided a break down that showed that round two is the best receiver round.

When you are drafting top five, you are looking for building blocks and Fashanu is a fantastic building block. Ignore Humphries for a second and ask yourself the logical question: if I need a LT or a WR, which one should I take?
If the WR is Harrison and the LT's are Alt and Fashanu, you take Harrison every time. Especially when you drafted your LTOF the previous year.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like we got 3 first round picks.

We got 2 first round picks, including #3 overall plus all that other stuff.

Nope. The Cardinals swapped the #2 for the #3 and the Chargers threw in a 2nd and 1999 1st along with a couple players.

The Cardinals ended up drafting Wadsworth, Corey Chavous and David Boston with those picks.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nope. The Cardinals swapped the #2 for the #3 and the Chargers threw in a 2nd and 1999 1st along with a couple players.

The Cardinals ended up drafting Wadsworth, Corey Chavous and David Boston with those picks.
And with that we obtained,

One edge rusher with shot knees
One WR fueled by cocaine
One CB who was better suited for safety, a total of 5 ints over 4 years

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Overall for the year PJJ and Wright have graded out very similarly. Paris seems to have hit the rookie wall but he was excellent in the first half of the year; its Broderick Jones that is playing the best of the OTs right now. But for Jones, the Steelers didn't start him until a few games ago, so he isn't dealing the fatigue that Wright and Paris are. Paris will be stronger and better conditioned for an NFL season next year.
My point was that if Monti really thought that Paris Johnson was worth a pick at #3 overall....he is not a good evaluator of OLine talent. He is not a generational talent, and its questionable if he is even "Franchise LT" material. I very well might end up being a good player, but the fact that people are talking about taking another LT the very next year and leaving PJ as a RT is enough to see it wasnt a slam dunk pick.

Is there really any doubt that Jalen Carter would have been the better pick? That guy is already playing great, and will be a top 5 DT within a year.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My point was that if Monti really thought that Paris Johnson was worth a pick at #3 overall....he is not a good evaluator of OLine talent. He is not a generational talent, and its questionable if he is even "Franchise LT" material. I very well might end up being a good player, but the fact that people are talking about taking another LT the very next year and leaving PJ as a RT is enough to see it wasnt a slam dunk pick.

Is there really any doubt that Jalen Carter would have been the better pick? That guy is already playing great, and will be a top 5 DT within a year.
Carter’s character issues scared a lot of teams. Last years draft did not have much talent we took PJJ because he is a good player at a very important position. The reason people are suggesting another tackle is because the tackles in this class are amazing and having a great RT is just as important as have a great LT in todays game.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Too early to tell IMO. Many tackles develop slowly. In college you see a solid rusher every 3-4 games. In the NFL it’s most games.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would be hella shocked if Franklin or Legette were the best WRs from this draft. Nabers is the only one from this class that I could somewhat see being the best WR in the class.

Definitely wouldn’t be shocked if Fuaga ended up as the best OT from this class.
Disagree but I feel it is closer. MHJ, Nabers and Odunze all have a shot to be the best in this class IMO. I think the gap there is smaller than the gap between Fashanu/Alt to Fuaga. And then there is the Humphries factor to consider.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to go with #2a and #1b.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The real question is Ossenfort. I know 2 well placed guys who are willing to bet their house he goes OT first.

Speaking of OTs. What's your take on JC Latham?

I really like his strength and powerful hand punch.