MadCards 2024 Cardinals Offseason Plan

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Most of the FA acquisitions suggested bring back memories of SOC...building up the underbelly of the team, while completely ignoring the fact this team is severely lacking in top end talent compared to most playoff teams. To compare our top 15 players to the Niners is laughable.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better be Froholdt-like quality as well, which is pretty rare in that price range.
That would be nice.

You can hide a lot at LG IMO. If i'm looking for a LG I'm grabbing a cheap guy who has some flaws but is strong and can push the pile. With the amount of needs that the Cardinals have, investing big at LG makes little sense. That's why I'm snagging a couple cheap vet minimum guys and a late round draft pick or two. Then let them battle it out in Training camp.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That would be nice.

You can hide a lot at LG IMO. If i'm looking for a LG I'm grabbing a cheap guy who has some flaws but is strong and can push the pile. With the amount of needs that the Cardinals have, investing big at LG makes little sense. That's why I'm snagging a couple cheap vet minimum guys and a late round draft pick or two. Then let them battle it out in Training camp.

I get that, but there will be cheap guys out there who you know can play in the NFL. We have Dennis Daley under contract, and he couldn't beat out Elijah Wilkinson or the other scrub... Dotson, maybe?

The question is do you want to make OL an actual strength or just muddle along and strive to have C+ units across your team? Replacing PJJ at RT with a shrug emoji doesn't do much to improve your 4-13 team.

Most of the FA acquisitions suggested bring back memories of SOC...building up the underbelly of the team, while completely ignoring the fact this team is severely lacking in top end talent compared to most playoff teams. To compare our top 15 players to the Niners is laughable.

Bidding against better-funded teams for players gives you guys who are unlikely to outperform their contracts, which is not how you build a sustainable winner. As I said elsewhere (maybe on this thread!): you can't aim for doubles in free agency and in the draft. Somewhere you have to start hitting dingers.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That would be nice.

Where I disagree is that investing "big" at LG isn't the same as other positions. You can actually grab significant upgrades in production for a high-end deal of around 8 mil and making that player tied for the 8th highest in the league. These are actually the areas I think the Cardinals should target the most.

5 mil for Noah Fant vs 9 mil for Josh Reynolds (using OTC proj as an example)

7 mil for John Simpson vs 15 mil for Jaylon Johnson (again just examples)

and I know OTC's contract estimate is far from perfect. It is just that if the Cardinals want to be more conservative in FA, adding TE Fant, LG Simpson, RB Antonio Gibson(2.5), CB Awuzie(2.5), and DT Justin jones(5) for the same cost as Chris Jones is probably better for the roster overall.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where I disagree is that investing "big" at LG isn't the same as other positions. You can actually grab significant upgrades in production for a high-end deal of around 8 mil and making that player tied for the 8th highest in the league. These are actually the areas I think the Cardinals should target the most.

Would I like to have a better LG? Absolutely yes!!! I just think there are too many other needs that are bigger for the Cardinals this offseason with only about $35M to work with in the 2024 FA period. That money goes very fast as you can see with me signing just 6 or so middle tier FAs in my original post.

If you look at the Cardinals rushing offense last season with the total scrubs that they had at LG, it's still pretty impressive. They were Top in the league for yards per attempt rushing the ball (5 yards per attempt) with only Miami ahead of them (5.1 yards per attempt). So IMO I think they can get away with investing less in the LG position while concentrating on bigger needs. If that makes sense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Would I like to have a better LG? Absolutely yes!!! I just think there are too many other needs that are bigger for the Cardinals this offseason with only about $35M to work with in the 2024 FA period. That money goes very fast as you can see with me signing just 6 or so middle tier FAs in my original post.

If you look at the Cardinals rushing offense last season with the total scrubs that they had at LG, it's still pretty impressive. They were Top in the league for yards per attempt rushing the ball (5 yards per attempt) with only Miami ahead of them (5.1 yards per attempt). So IMO I think they can get away with investing less in the LG position while concentrating on bigger needs. If that makes sense.
Gotta get another off-ball linebacker.

You're not investing "less" you're investing "nothing."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah that's a question mark for me as well. If you held a gun to my head, I'd say the Cardinals sign one steady veteran to compete at one spot and a bleh Dennis Daley type for the other.

Depends on the position. Linemen are fine. CBs and skill position? Not so fine.

I think if MHJ is gone, you'd have to strongly consider it, but its also a questionable move if you want a receiver. Pretty much every team in the top ten could use another receiver so I don't think Odunze makes it to 8.
Don’t think the pay is worth the four slots

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's also a real challenge thinking you can pull this rabbit out of your hat every year. That is Steve Keim thinking.
Right. That would be hernandez, Frodo and left guard in successive years. I’m not betting on that.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Don’t think the pay is worth the four slots
I'd have to receive a real "wow" type trade to move out of #4. A 1st and a 2nd won't do it for me.

Everyone is focused on just MHJ, but I'm probably drafting Odunze if he's gone. I trust Daniel Jeremiah and he says that the three receivers (MHJ, Odunze, and Nabers) might be the three best players in the draft period.

It's kind of like three different flavors, each receiver has their own merit. MHJ is the best rounded, but Nabers is more explosive and Odunze is a more physical, box out type receiver.

I'd bet my left nut that all three receivers are gone if they trade to #8, so I don't risk losing one unless it's the type of trade that can net a big return.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I'd bet my left nut that all three receivers are gone if they trade to #8, so I don't risk losing one unless it's the type of trade that can net a big return.

I know a guy who had one of his nuts ripped off in a flag football game. Hurts to think about it, but it's a true story and a hell of a re-tell.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I know a guy who had one his nuts ripped off in a flag football game. Hurts to think about it, but it's a true story and a hell of a re-tell.
I had a friend who lost one in a biking accident as a kid. Having that happen would be pretty darn traumatic.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Taylor Swift increasing revenue for the NFL, the Salary cap has increased way beyond what most were projecting. This gives the Cardinals a bunch more playing room to go after a higher price FA and still fill several key roster holes including a body at LG.

So here is an updated list based off the new available cap space.

You must be registered for see images attach

#1: EDGE DANIELLE HUNTER, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Monte rolls the dice and lands some much needed help for Nick Rallis. To land a proven pass rusher Monti will have to spend around $24M per season to entice Hunter to join the Cardinals.

Contract Projection: Three years, $72 million ($24 million per year), $36 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.5M $10.5M
2025 $16M $25M
2026 $18.5M $27.5M
2027 Void $9M

#2: WR TYLER BOYD, CINCINNATI BENGALS
The Cardinals need to improve their depth at the WR position. Boyd would provide a solid veteran presence to the WR room and has good size at 6'2" 203lbs.

Contract Projection: Two years, $21 million ($10.5 million per year), $11 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.5M $7M
2025 $9.5M $15M

#3: DI SHELDON RANKINS, HOUSTON TEXANS
The Cardinals need to improve all along the DL and Rankins would be a solid vet that doesn't break the bank.

Contract Projection: Two years, $20 million ($10 million per year), $12 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.5M $5.5M
2025 $6.5M $10.5M
2026 Void $4M

#4: CB SEAN MURPHY-BUNTING, TENNESSEE TITANS
I don't see the Cardinals going after a big name high priced CB in FA. I think they go after a decent starter like Murphy-Bunting and let him compete with the two young kids from the 2023 draft along with some rookies that I have the Cardinals selecting in the middle/late rounds of the 2024 draft.

Contract Projection: Two years, $14 million ($7 million per year), $9 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.5M $4.5M
2025 $3.5M $6.5M
2026 Void $3M

#5: EDGE DORANCE ARMSTRONG, DALLAS COWBOYS
Not a big household name but another guy who can help along the defensive front. Armstrong is coming off of a two year deal with the Cowboys where he totaled 16 sacks. The Cardinals like to rotate their defensive front to keep them fresh and Armstrong would be a part of that rotation. Although the Cardinals might have stiff competition from the Commanders who just hired Armstrong's former DC to be their HC. Dan Quinn will be looking to replace the former Commander pass rush duo of Sweat and Young who were traded last season.

Contract Projection: Three years, $25.5 million ($8.5 million per year), $15.5 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1M $4.9M
2025 $3M $6.9M
2026 $6M $9.9M
2027 Void $3.9M

#6: LB AZEEZ AL-SHAAIR, TENNESSEE TITANS
The former 49er had a career season as a full time starter with his new team in Tennessee. He would be a nice piece to line up next to Kyzir White.

Contract Projection: Three years, $20.25 million ($6.75 million per year), $11.5 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.75M $5.6M
2025 $2M $5.8M
2026 $5M $8.8M

#7: LG Aaron Stinnie, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Stinnie was an injury replacement for Matt Feiler during the 2021 season and filled in exceptionally well only to tear his ACL and MCL in 2022 preseason. Stinnie was able to recover from that devastating injury and still was able to play in 11 games in 2023. I don't see the Cardinals spending big money at LG, but they will bring in a couple of bodies to throw at the position and Stinnie could be one of them.

Contract Projection: Two years, $4.5 million ($2.25 million per year), $1 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.5M $2M
2025 $2M $2.5M

1447292477.jpg

#8: WR NICK WESTBROOK-IKHINE , TENNESSEE TITANS
Massive frame to give the Cardinals a big body on the outside.

Contract Projection: One year, $1.64 million ($1.64 million per year), $0.5 million total guaranteed
Year SAL CAPHIT
2024 $1.14M $1.7M

This would put the 2024 cap hit for these signings around $40M.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the Salary cap has increased way beyond what most were projecting. This gives the Cardinals a bunch more playing room to go after a higher price FA
sadly, much like the government printing money, it will only increase prices

more dollars chasing the same group of players

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson