Cards QB plan: pure speculation

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Looking at the totality of the moves made by Keim -- I think they point to taking Lamar Jackson in the draft. My rationale (in no particular order) :

1. Signing both Bradford and Glennon provides a QB situation where the rookie taken is in no hurry next year to play -- a guy who if all goes well, can learn for two years before moving into the starting role.

2. Steve Wilks came from Carolina where he watched Cam Newton --a non traditional QB used in a variety of ways (both drop back, but also designed runs, etc) to good effect.

3. Steve Keim has watched Russel Wilson torment for years with his ability to improvise, run, etc --

4. All the moves this offseason have signaled a two year roster "refresh" before getting back to playoff contention -- as an example: taking Badgers full dead money cap hit this year, rather than pushing it off.

5. Keim values draft picks. I think he isnt inclined to give up the haul necessary to get a top four guy, but would rather trade down 6-8 spots, pick up an extra 3rd and take a Jackson.

6. Jackson fits the Keim formula: a superior athlete with all tools, but is a draft bargain because of "x". The "x" in this case is that Jackson needs NFL QB development as a passer. My prediction: if they take Jackson, Keim will say something like "If Lamar stayed for his senior year, and, showed the same passing development he did in the last year, he would be the first guy taken overall in next years draft"

7. They have Mike McCoy -- who got the Denver Broncos into the AFC Divisional playoffs with Tim Tebow as QB. They have a guy who designed an offense that used a running QB who wasnt near the passer a Jackson is.

So i think ( and again, pure speculation on my part) -- if one of the top 4 slides to them, or, comes within range where the trade up is relatively cheap ( 1st + 3rd + next year's 2nd) they do it. But if not, they have the freedom to take a Lamar Jackson, develop him for a couple offseasons and training camps before they have to play him.
I love a good game of speculation but I do see a major problem with the totality of your scenario(s). Drafting Lamar Jackson flies in the face of who they specifically went out and signed at QB already. IMO, they have clearly moved to build around a pocket passer. If LJ was in the potential future I would think a guy that had a similar type of game would have been brought in. Tyrod Taylor perhaps.

Considering that Bradford and Glennon are who they signed, I'd say Rudolph was the choice if they were going to take someone at #15 and assuming it's "down" to LJ and him.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Oh hell, the ole cat pooped on the pump handle. ( my great grandpa use to say that and I never understood what it meant) My Speculation has Sam being protected by a good line protected by a good run game protected by a balanced play caller - when shots are taken with play action- they will be pin point accurate and devastating to the opponent. I don't speculate a top QB will be available at 15 and I don't speculate that what Cards would have to give to move up will be worth what we receive in QB talent. The most talent QB in free agency and the draft is starting for the AZ cardinals week 1. He has injury history but that is the dice we have to roll with- Sam has elite QB talent when on the field.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dolphins and Skins would draft Rudolph and Jackson respectively. I just dont see him lasting until the 15th as some team will jump ahead of us AGAIN.

Vita VEA will be a nice consolation prize though.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Dolphins and Skins would draft Rudolph and Jackson respectively. I just dont see him lasting until the 15th as some team will jump ahead of us AGAIN.

I won't lie--I would love to have him on the team. Yes, QBOF is my priority, but this guy would be a beast.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are not drafting a QB in the first round. You do not sign 2 QB’s in free agency do draft one in the first round. They are going either OL, DB, or WR. Mark my words. They may go QB in later rounds but not the first. That’s my speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We are not drafting a QB in the first round. You do not sign 2 QB’s in free agency do draft one in the first round. They are going either OL, DB, or WR. Mark my words. They may go QB in later rounds but not the first. That’s my speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Normally in that scenario you’d be right. But, one guy is a 30 year old injured man walking on his 4th team on a potentially one year deal and the other is not starting material unless you are in dire circumstances. I agree that taking another QB in Round 1 is unconventional but if you don’t take a QB at #15 then you don’t draft a QB at all because there is a big drop off in talent after Jackson or Rudolph.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Oh hell, the ole cat pooped on the pump handle. ( my great grandpa use to say that and I never understood what it meant) My Speculation has Sam being protected by a good line protected by a good run game protected by a balanced play caller - when shots are taken with play action- they will be pin point accurate and devastating to the opponent. I don't speculate a top QB will be available at 15 and I don't speculate that what Cards would have to give to move up will be worth what we receive in QB talent. The most talent QB in free agency and the draft is starting for the AZ cardinals week 1. He has injury history but that is the dice we have to roll with- Sam has elite QB talent when on the field.

If I knew Bradford could stay healthy, I would not draft a QB and I would not have even considered Cousins because frankly when playing I think Bradford is better. Bradford is a better QB than Jimmy G is right now. Bradford sure is better than Dak Prescott. Really, though we have every dang right to worry about his constant injuries... if healthy, he is by all means a top ten QB with the current state of the NFL

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

So will a half dozen other position players. Look, both Jackson and Rudolph should be on the board at 15. But I'd like thise picks MUCH better at the back end of the 1st then at 15. They have at least a half dozen position players rated higher that should be available there, I'd bet. They have too many glaring holes going forward. It's what it is.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

THESMEL

Reaction score
If I knew Bradford could stay healthy, I would not draft a QB and I would not have even considered Cousins because frankly when playing I think Bradford is better. Bradford is a better QB than Jimmy G is right now. Bradford sure is better than Dak Prescott. Really, though we have every dang right to worry about his constant injuries... if healthy, he is by all means a top ten QB with the current state of the NFL
Worry or not - it will all work out the same - I agree but health high risk is with every nfl player- the decision is made - I respect and cheer it - blessed to have him and Glennon - would have liked to have tried Gabbert in Wilks system, but fan base is soiled with him.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

My sentiments exactly although I would have still considered Cousins.

I don't want the Cardinals to spend the draft picks it would take to trade up for one of the top four because all four have question marks. I'm ambivalent about Lamar Jackson. He could be Russell Wilson, but he has made some questionable decisions already, e.g. using his mother as his agent, to make me very hesitant despite his obvious ability.

I'd be inclined to roll the dice with Bradford THIS season, knowing that if he goes down we are likely to have a top 8 pick next season. Having Larry for one more season makes it MORE likely the Cards pass on a QB in round one IMO. But if one of the top four drop, obviously you take him.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
They're going to do mostly everything in their power to keep him healthy. Scheme, game planning. But they're going to need to come from behind plenty of times. It's really not good odds he gets through 6-7 games in a row. Guess that's why they brought in Glennon. But even then, everyone pretty much acknowledges that a long term solotion is the peferred path ahead. Especially for a new regime taking over. No one wants BA.2 and hope against hope you can keep it going with 200k on the motor already, even if it's still got some vrooooom left. They need to plan better there.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Bradford's a top-10 QB? Folks are viewing our QB situation through Cardinal-red colored glasses.

he is a functional QB that, with the right pieces around him, can win you games. Not a top 10

THESMEL

Reaction score
Bradford's a top-10 QB? Folks are viewing our QB situation through Cardinal-red colored glasses.
Yep flaming red glasses - Bradford is top QB in accuracy and completion percentage, can make every throw - has been effective and processed several nfl offenses in a short amount of time - 80 games experience on some pretty bad teams - he is at his career sweet-spot - we are lucky to have him - he is not the best QB in the world - is not the worse QB in the world - he is somewhere in between- and I’m ok with that - DJ -Fitz- Jones-pp- were in competitive shape - could win every game with a healthy Sammy

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Normally in that scenario you’d be right. But, one guy is a 30 year old injured man walking on his 4th team on a potentially one year deal and the other is not starting material unless you are in dire circumstances. I agree that taking another QB in Round 1 is unconventional but if you don’t take a QB at #15 then you don’t draft a QB at all because there is a big drop off in talent after Jackson or Rudolph.
Doesn't mean I'm wrong and I'm going on Keim's M.O. He's drafted exactly one QB and did so well on that one that that QB is now playing tight end. His not willing to trade up 1 spot to grab Watson goes to show how much he respects the position. And this team has drafted a QB in the first round twice since coming to Az. It's just not in this team's DNA to go QB in the first round.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Doesn't mean I'm wrong and I'm going on Keim's M.O. He's drafted exactly one QB and did so well on that one that that QB is now playing tight end. His not willing to trade up 1 spot to grab Watson goes to show how much he respects the position. And this team has drafted a QB in the first round twice since coming to Az. It's just not in this team's DNA to go QB in the first round.
I don't think it's fair to look at the Watson situation as "one spot." There's nothing saying we didn't try to move up - but we simply weren't going to offer what the Texans offered up, which was a first round pick. At that point in the draft, we were probably only willing to give up a 3rd or a 4th to move.

And that move worked out wonderfully for the Browns. Now they have the #1 and #4 and are going to get their QB of the future and an elite, blue chip player.

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
unless Keim is farther gone than i think ( and, the gushing over Bradford in Flight Plan did give me pause...)

there is no way they can look at Bradford and say "QB is locked down for the foreseeable future". They signed him, basically, to a one year deal.

It says they have to leave the draft with a QB they feel good about (and not a mid to late round "hope he turns out" guy)

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Just depends on what one means. By the stats and passer rating, Bradford actually is a top 10 QB. At least in terms of how he's played since leaving the Rams. Since those numbers aren't also associated with playoff wins and are tainted by injury issues, it doesn't seem like he's at that level.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I think Cards pick a Mike White or Luke Falk in RD 2-3 or a Kurt Benkert or Tanner Lee or Chase Litton in RD 6-7.A guy to sit and learn for a year .

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Cards pick a Mike White or Luke Falk in RD 2-3 or a Kurt Benkert or Tanner Lee or Chase Litton in RD 6-7.A guy to sit and learn for a year .
If ARZ is taking a late round flyer I hope it’s on JT Barrett, reminds me of Tyrod Taylor.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard