Did Gannon Foil Ossenfort’s Plan?

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought we'd win one of our first two games - then go winless for a long while - which would put us at 1-5 rn

If Kyler comes back with 8 or so games left I think we can win 2 or 3 of them

I'm still at either 3-14 or 4-13
With Kyler, I venture to say we are currently 4-3. I see 5 winnable games left w/Kyler. Would’ve made for a great first season under the new regime. Now I hope he plays great and stays healthy. If that includes wins, great. If not, gimme MHJr.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Both of those can be true though. I'm confident Keim was the problem too but Monti could still have not trusted his personnel that lead to the '23 offseason. He was new to the org and could have not trusted them due to lack of familiarity and from the perception of the last few years. When he came in he had to figure out if it was the scouts, Keim, or both. Anyone from the outside looking in had to be leery of that group.
This was used as a direct excuse as to why Monti rejected FA. It was clearly false then and it still is. It had nothing to do with the scouting staff. This is the only thing I am addressing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was used as a direct excuse as to why Monti rejected FA. It was clearly false then and it still is. It had nothing to do with the scouting staff. This is the only thing I am addressing.
The thing that never made sense to me about that excuse was that is all but presumes Monti himself was in a coma for the entire year previous. He was in a high front office position in Tennessee? Part of that job had to be scouting for the next season there also, so why couldn’t he have brought any of that knowledge to the team?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand why you need to give up a 5th to lose 6 out of 7. David Blough could have done that for free!
You don't need to, but I don't think that was the plan either. We played well enough to win at least 3 games this year.
At one point you could maybe say that Dobbs was moving the offense, but the last few weeks have been an absolute joke.
True. I think they wanted to ride Dobbs as long as they could. The wheels have fallen off. I don't think it is a coincidence that Kyler was activated after 2 poor games from Dobbs.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You don't need to, but I don't think that was the plan either. We played well enough to win at least 3 games this year.
2022Arizona Cardinals2583865.54026.977221831352482.7
Blough - https://www.nfl.com/players/david-blough/stats/logs/2022/

Blough has shown he can do the same thing.
True. I think they wanted to ride Dobbs as long as they could. The wheels have fallen off. I don't think it is a coincidence that Kyler was activated after 2 poor games from Dobbs.
I really hope they play Kyler when he's ready as opposed to making decisions based off of Dobbs poor play.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I always hated the tanking plan, said so before the season as it didn't take a rocket scientist to see the NFC would be terrible. But if you’re tanking (and the rest of the roster would indicate as such) why waste a 5th round pick on Dobbs? Just start the rookie

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I always hated the tanking plan, said so before the season as it didn't take a rocket scientist to see the NFC would be terrible. But if you’re tanking (and the rest of the roster would indicate as such) why waste a 5th round pick on Dobbs? Just start the rookie
Or if you don't want to start the rookie or don't feel he's better, Blough was right there! He's started NFL games before and hasn't embarrassed himself. You'd be getting roughly the same production without giving up a 5th!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

We've talked about this before, but I think it's hard to evaluate the rest of the offense when you have a zero at QB. It's hard to be credible as a staff when you run someone out there you inherited from the old regime, or a rookie who (I think) was clearly unequipped to start Week 1.

The Clayton Tune love affair has mystified me from the start. I expect that three years from now it will seem hilarious how many pixels have been spilled on this.

There is a middle ground between a starting QB and David Blough. Few teams run into a situation where their QB is unavailable for the beginning of a season or a long run of it. It'll be interesting to see how the Jets continue to fare with Zach Wilson.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2022Arizona Cardinals2583865.54026.977221831352482.7
Blough - https://www.nfl.com/players/david-blough/stats/logs/2022/

Blough has shown he can do the same thing.

I really hope they play Kyler when he's ready as opposed to making decisions based off of Dobbs poor play.
He could have done the same thing, but I doubt Blough could do any more than Dobbs could have done. He definitely wouldn't have been able to run as effectively.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because it was clear, (or should have been clear at the 4 game mark) that this team was not tanking.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We've talked about this before, but I think it's hard to evaluate the rest of the offense when you have a zero at QB. It's hard to be credible as a staff when you run someone out there you inherited from the old regime, or a rookie who (I think) was clearly unequipped to start Week 1.

The Clayton Tune love affair has mystified me from the start. I expect that three years from now it will seem hilarious how many pixels have been spilled on this.

There is a middle ground between a starting QB and David Blough. Few teams run into a situation where their QB is unavailable for the beginning of a season or a long run of it. It'll be interesting to see how the Jets continue to fare with Zach Wilson.
Also possible that Gannon needs to evaluate his staff...not really fair to judge the offense when the qb isn't familiar with the system....not to mention, a backup with similar elements as kyler allows the staff to project how kyler should perform...running? Numbers only go up...avoiding pressure? Numbers only go up... passing?? Should be a huge jump...
Can't build on offense to kylers strengths with a pocket passer...but with Dobbs you can, and he already knew the system.

Speculation on my part but I think we can all agree that kyler at 70% gives us a better shot than Dobbs at full bore...Dobbs plays with guts but the arm talent isn't even close

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Because it was clear, (or should have been clear at the 4 game mark) that this team was not tanking.
The coaching staff was not tanking - the GM...well, you don't put together a roster like Monti did with the expectations to compete. I really HOPE Monti wasn't expecting to win with the dreck we have.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The coaching staff was not tanking - the GM...well, you don't put together a roster like Monti did with the expectations to compete. I really HOPE Monti wasn't expecting to win with the dreck we have.
I think he was hoping to win as many as he could, while evaluating players along the way.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think he was hoping to win as many as he could, while evaluating players along the way.
Not improving a bottom 5 NFL roster and team is tanking. "Evaluating" is just a nicer way of putting it. It's like trading away all of of your early draft picks to load up on 7th rounders and making excuses for how it is better.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also possible that Gannon needs to evaluate his staff...not really fair to judge the offense when the qb isn't familiar with the system....not to mention, a backup with similar elements as kyler allows the staff to project how kyler should perform...running? Numbers only go up...avoiding pressure? Numbers only go up... passing?? Should be a huge jump...
Can't build on offense to kylers strengths with a pocket passer...but with Dobbs you can, and he already knew the system.

Speculation on my part but I think we can all agree that kyler at 70% gives us a better shot than Dobbs at full bore...Dobbs plays with guts but the arm talent isn't even close
The one thing Dobbs hasnt done, outside of last game, is take a bunch of sacks or back bad sacks.

That is one of the flaws of Kyler. So it'll be interesting how he balances trying to extend a play with not getting us off schedule.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The one thing Dobbs hasnt done, outside of last game, is take a bunch of sacks or back bad sacks.

That is one of the flaws of Kyler. So it'll be interesting how he balances trying to extend a play with not getting us off schedule.
yeah...if he steps up into the pocket and 300 pound dudes start falling around that knee...we will definitely see if Kyler has grown as a pro

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Kyler would be running for his life, just like last season…because the Oline sucks.
As a matter of fact, this team currently has little talent in the starting lineup. With the exception of Budda Baker, name another possible pro bowler in yesterday’s lineup. It’s a rebuild and for the Owner & GM, winning this year is not the priority. Which is not a bad plan if executed properly….it’s just hard to watch!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyler would be running for his life, just like last season…because the Oline sucks.
As a matter of fact, his team currently has little talent in the starting lineup. With the exception of Budda Baker, name another possible pro bowler in yesterday’s lineup. It’s a rebuild and for the Owner & GM, winning this year is not the priority. Which is not a bad plan if executed properly….it’s just hard to watch!
Michael Wilson
PJJ
The Captain

Gawd the defense is so bad.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Michael Wilson
PJJ
The Captain

Gawd the defense is so bad.
Wilson, he’s good but not there just yet.
Johnson, ditto
I’ll give you The Captain, he’s the only other one I considered.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, this team currently has little talent in the starting lineup. With the exception of Budda Baker, name another possible pro bowler in yesterday’s lineup. It’s a rebuild and for the Owner & GM, winning this year is not the priority. Which is not a bad plan if executed properly….it’s just hard to watch!
This is why I don’t want Kyler returning to the starting lineup this year. The financial risk is too great.

Will the OL improve greatly next year? Not unless we spend some money in FA or land a top OL prospect with our second pick or first if we win a game or so.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is why I don’t want Kyler returning to the starting lineup this year. The financial risk is too great.

Will the OL improve greatly next year? Not unless we spend some money in FA or land a top OL prospect with our second pick or first if we win a game or so.
Then you don't want Kyler on this team. Whatever lip service the team gives, they're not going into the draft with a high pick and rolling with a QB they have no idea what he can do. Not happening.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

I’m not confident the O-line will be a primary acquisition target.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I will withhold judgement on the offensive line. Dobbs isn't good, and Kyler will need to be better playing with timing and rhythm. Look at what Cousins did vs SF last night. That is how a QB helps out his line.