Cardinals at Vikings PS gameday thread 8-26-23

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fantasy.

Why? Why would he JUMP at it? He's coming off a 4 sack season (with a 59 PFF grade BTW) and feels he's finally getting it. He's a year away from FA and all his focus is on being the best he can in the coming year to get that first fat contract and set him up for life.

What possible motivation would he have for taking $10m per? If the team are offering $10m early it's because THEY think he's ascending and want to get him cheap. Why wouldn't you wait for more?

The only possible reason is injury. But the odds of career ending injury are miniscule.

But most importantly, and this part is key, if this is a thing that players and agents would actually do where is the mountain of players being signed early for cheap? Every team wants to sign players cheaper, so where are all these players signing up early for less money?

Or is Zach Allen just especially stupid?
No way he or his agent anticipated that 15M. You even said that is a huge overpay. Cardinals blew it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way he or his agent anticipated that 15M. You even said that is a huge overpay. Cardinals blew it.

Whether they did or didn't make no difference. But you play with that hope.

Your idea is like sitting on 3 Aces and doing a deal to take half the pot before the river has been turned over. Nobody sensible does that.

And again, this is the crucial bit here, this is why it never happens. That should really tell you you're wrong. Generally speaking with anything, when someone says something should have happened that never happens, I'm going to call BS.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whether they did or didn't make no difference. But you play with that hope.

Your idea is like sitting on 3 Aces and doing a deal to take half the pot before the river has been turned over. Nobody sensible does that.

And again, this is the crucial bit here, this is why it never happens. That should really tell you you're wrong. Generally speaking with anything, when someone says something should have happened that never happens, I'm going to call BS.
The Cardinals made two good picks in that draft and neither are with the team any longer. For the Cardinals that is business as usual. Doesn’t matter what the team apologists say.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals made two good picks in that draft and neither are with the team any longer. For the Cardinals that is business as usual. Doesn’t matter what the team apologists say.

I'm not a team apologist. I'm just pointing out obvious nonsense backed up by literally it never happening.

I'd do the same if you said we should kick an 80 yard field goal.

Reaction score
Fantasy.

Why? Why would he JUMP at it? He's coming off a 4 sack season (with a 59 PFF grade BTW) and feels he's finally getting it. He's a year away from FA and all his focus is on being the best he can in the coming year to get that first fat contract and set him up for life.

What possible motivation would he have for taking $10m per? If the team are offering $10m early it's because THEY think he's ascending and want to get him cheap. Why wouldn't you wait for more?

The only possible reason is injury. But the odds of career ending injury are miniscule.

But most importantly, and this part is key, if this is a thing that players and agents would actually do where is the mountain of players being signed early for cheap? Every team wants to sign players cheaper, so where are all these players signing up early for less money?

Or is Zach Allen just especially stupid?
Guaranteed money. :shrug:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guaranteed money. :shrug:

If you're taking less money then you're taking less guaranteed money. This contract that we apparently could have signed him to last year is less in total the the guaranteed money he got in FA.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not a team apologist. I'm just pointing out obvious nonsense backed up by literally it never happening.

I'd do the same if you said we should kick an 80 yard field goal.
Nobody has retained a player before their first contract expired? What are you talking about?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nobody has retained a player before their first contract expired? What are you talking about?

Can you not read?

I said that the only players that get retained a year early are those that already proved themselves and already got offered top money.

Please, show me all these guys that are not top players who signed their first vet deal for cheap before FA hit. I'll wait. Should be easy.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can you not read?

I said that the only players that get retained a year early are those that already proved themselves and already got offered top money.

Please, show me all these guys that are not top players who signed their first vet deal for cheap before FA hit. I'll wait. Should be easy.
I can read. Germaine Pratt Bengals, Sione Takitaki Browns, Will Harris Detroit, Trey Pipkins San Diego before free agency. Of course several better players like Jamel Dean, Dionte Johnson etc.

Players who aren't good or are just ok will not get a good offer or they will not get one at all. Of course the players deemed worth it will get good offers. Cardinals had a chance with Murphy and Allen and didn't take it. I say Allen and Murphy were worth it. Especially for a team that can't draft well and had little talent at these positions. Note I am not blaming the new regime.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can read. Germaine Pratt Bengals, Sione Takitaki Browns, Will Harris Detroit, Trey Pipkins San Diego before free agency. Of course several better players like Jamel Dean, Dionte Johnson etc.

Players who aren't good or are just ok will not get a good offer or they will not get one at all. Of course the players deemed worth it will get good offers. Cardinals had a chance with Murphy and Allen and didn't take it. I say Allen and Murphy were worth it. Especially for a team that can't draft well and had little talent at these positions. Note I am not blaming the new regime.

Pratt signed in when FA opened, by then he knew what his market was (agents are talking money and shopping players for at least 2 months before FA) and he got exactly what he was worth.

Sione Takitaki signed after FA started also and knew his market.

As did Will Harris.

As did Trey Pipkins.

In fact everyone you mention signed after FA started and knew exactly what their market was. Allen and the Cards knew exactly the same thing and decided (quite rightly in my opinion) that he wasn't worth $15.25m.

He's White Dawuane Smoot and Smoot is getting $3.5m per year with $6.25m max.

This only proves why players wait for FA.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson