Chiefs at Cardinals PS gameday thread 8-19-23

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
but who's he going to throw to though PA? Brown is legit, but isn't DHop. Moore and Wilson are maybes at best.

Ertz is fine, but McBride still hasn't arrived.

Worried about that side of the battery my friend.
With a legitimate running game with Conner/Ingram, the play action schemes of Petzing wil provide passing options to Brown, PASCAL, Moore, Wilson, Ertz, Dortch, and McBride. Add Murray’s ability to use his legs, and he will when the opportunity presents itself, and you have a very difficult offense to defend. Murray is the key & he has to stay relatively healthy. DHop’s selfishness and inability to even remotely want to block, was more of a negative than people realize. That bs won’t be tolerated under JG. I‘m not saying this is a 2023 playoff team, but we will be significantly better in the long run under the new regime than people want to think.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
With a legitimate running game with Conner/Ingram, the play action schemes of Petzing wil provide passing options to Brown, PASCAL, Moore, Wilson, Ertz, Dortch, and McBride. Add Murray’s ability to use his legs, and he will when the opportunity presents itself, and you have a very difficult offense to defend. Murray is the key & he has to stay relatively healthy. DHop’s selfishness and inability to even remotely want to block, was more of a negative than people realize. That bs won’t be tolerated under JG. I‘m not saying this is a 2023 playoff team, but we will be significantly better in the long run under the new regime than people want to think.

Forgot about plucky Greg Dortch. I'm surprised he's still on the team, that he hasn't signed somewhere else for some decent money.

Pascal... right... Okay I feel a little better now.. :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
By playing Hayes at both RG and LG, they must see something they like. And imo, the question is whether he's playing himself on or off the team. He is being given every chance to make the team.
Is it three penalties in two games in which he didn’t even play all the snaps? Not a good look.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jones, Gaines, then I guess Dailey.. that's eight considering the starters.. I wonder if we keep nine o-lineman? Maybe my homebody Hayes makes the roster then?

Not sure how Daley sticks. I think he's mostly Neen playing tackle?

Hump, Paris, Beachum, Jones might be the best tackle group this team ever had. Jones and Beachum could start for a bunch of teams.

Add Fro, Hernandez, Wilkinson, Gaines. All locks.

So max 2 spots left. I think Hayes has shown enough to be swing guard. Hayes can play C and G. That might be the 9 with Leccy on PS.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Froholdt hive rejoice

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Reactions: PJ1
OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Cardinals: The Isaiah Simmons experiment continues to be a work in progress. The former first-round pick, who transitioned to safety this season, struggled throughout his snaps Saturday night. He was a couple of steps behind Chiefs receiver Justin Watson on a touchdown and then was late to close in on Kansas City quarterback Shane Buechele's touchdown run. He started the game as Arizona used five defensive backs often for the first couple of series but also ended up getting reps with the second-team defense. When the Cardinals used five defensive backs, which was the case in 20 of Simmons' 25 plays, Simmons lined up as the free safety with fellow safety Jalen Thompson lining up in the slot. -- Josh Weinfuss

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I do remember the knock on buffalo Allen, couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. Tune will need to work on his touch but it will take more reps. I say sit McCoy and let the rookie take his knocks early.

I believe this staff didn’t select Tune haphazardly. I don’t believe they selected him to be a long term backup QB. like you said, I see the whole package here. Get him the top receiver in next year’s draft and a stud TE and we can walk away from Kyler.

People keep talking about drafting Celeb. My friend in California is a USC alumni. He called me recently saying Celeb would refuse to play for us If we drafted him. I just laughed and said we don’t need another height limited player. He was insulted…
Maye reminds me of Burrow - we dont need another SC bust

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Tune will be just fine. But, he’s not ready to be playing on Sundays just yet. He’s been a high completion % guy his entire college career, so I’m not sold that accuracy is the issue. He’s just not ready yet. I did notice that KC blitzed the hell out of him on that last TD drive of the 1st half & I thought he did pretty well. He needs to stop throwing to our Smurf receivers on the sideline routes also. I love Dortch, but he needs to stay in the middle of the field.

When Tune gets his footwork down pat, his passing accuracy will improve. It's inconsistent at this point.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Not sure how Daley sticks. I think he's mostly Neen playing tackle?

Hump, Paris, Beachum, Jones might be the best tackle group this team ever had. Jones and Beachum could start for a bunch of teams.

Add Fro, Hernandez, Wilkinson, Gaines. All locks.

So max 2 spots left. I think Hayes has shown enough to be swing guard. Hayes can play C and G. That might be the 9 with Leccy on PS.
oh my gosh, forgot about Beach! Ty Britcard, and sorry about the lionesses! :)

The best two-deep tackle group the team has ever had... interesting... That should get the darksiders' hackles up! haha.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
oh my gosh, forgot about Beach! Ty Britcard, and sorry about the lionesses! :)

The best two-deep tackle group the team has ever had... interesting... That should get the darksiders' hackles up! haha.
Eh I’d agree, particularly when considering depth. But man it better be with two first round picks, a third round pick and a free agent that started elsewhere.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Shocker that a player PFF had a 1st round grade on but hasn't performed well, continually gets good grades from PFF.

lol

He was fine. Pretty much on par with the rest of the 2nd OL unit.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jones, Gaines, then I guess Dailey.. that's eight considering the starters.. I wonder if we keep nine o-lineman? Maybe my homebody Hayes makes the roster then?
If they don't keep 10 OL, they are dumb. I am a Jones critic and I can say he is better than whatever 4 RB or TE or 6th WR or extra DL or DB.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m thinking that our OL is now the strength of this team. It’s looking like 2023 will be a season where we will heavily lean on our OL and running game to keep us remotely competitive.
Agree that it is a strength of the team.

I think that says a lot about the state of the team.

I don't believe leaning heavily on our OL and running game is a viable way to be competitive.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
By playing Hayes at both RG and LG, they must see something they like. And imo, the question is whether he's playing himself on or off the team. He is being given every chance to make the team.
They flipped the 2nd unit OL this game. Jones and Hayes were on the left side and Daley and Beach were on the right side. That is opposite of the first game. If I had to guess, they were evaluating who was able to play both sides and still be productive.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Is it three penalties in two games in which he didn’t even play all the snaps? Not a good look.
Two penalties and one sack. He also is the primary player they run behind, and is one of the few OL who is strong enough to set the pocket consistently high. He is really good passing players when stunts occur, and has had some nice blocks pulling in space. He is also under contract for more than this year.

and he has played in two more games than Gaines has played in. The fact he isn't significantly worse than Daley or Jones despite being on IR his entire rookie year after two pre-season games says enough.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't believe leaning heavily on our OL and running game is a viable way to be competitive.
Connor sure as hell isn't a bell cow RB, and he'll be injured early in the season if we intend to run him like a workhorse back. Oh, and we don't have a viable second running back. Oh, and our o-line is mid at best.

Other than that, ground and pound sounds great!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Connor sure as hell isn't a bell cow RB, and he'll be injured early in the season if we intend to run him like a workhorse back. Oh, and we don't have a viable second running back. Oh, and our o-line is mid at best.

Other than that, ground and pound sounds great!
Slight disagreement on Conner, and I just believe it is going to be tough for our defense to enable an offense heavily reliant on the running game.