1st wave of Free Agency (most likely) done - now what?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sign M Williams for 2 years with most of the CAP hitting this year. We desperately need talent added to the WR room and the gamble on his health won't hurt the Cap in the future.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good, in-depth write-up. I think your vision is very much Monti's vision.

My simple question is this: What is Monti going to do with all that extra cap money he purposefully didn't spend last year because we were supposed to spend it this year? I don't want to hear we're rolling it over yet again or we're keeping our powder dry. We can sign more and better players than we have, without crippling our cap in the future. Why haven't we and why shouldn't we?
You do know we’re only like officially 6 days into FA right?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do know we’re only like officially 6 days into FA right?

You do know that most players worth signing who can make an impact are off the board 6 days into FA, right?

pretty sure you and others said this same thing last year, and the year before and before that and, well, pretty much every off-season dating back to my first year here in 2003 when people lauded Rod Graves’ “building the belly of the team/wait for June 1st cuts”offseason..

But you and others don’t need to go that far back. I’d just love to know of anyone who was an impact players the Cardinals signed in any of the last couple years after the first week of FA?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You do know that most players worth signing who can make an impact are off the board 6 days into FA, right?

pretty sure you and others said this same thing last year, and the year before and before that and, well, pretty much every off-season dating back to my first year here in 2003 when people lauded Rod Graves’ “building the belly of the team/wait for June 1st cuts”offseason..

But you and others don’t need to go that far back. I’d just love to know of anyone who was an impact players the Cardinals signed in any of the last couple years after the first week of FA?
Free agency doesn't close until Jadveon Clowney signs his one-year deal.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
In my book the round you were drafted doesn’t matter after rookie year. You can play or you can’t. I no longer care where you were drafted.

Hmmm... but injuries so prevalent in the NFL and you need capable, inexpensive depth.

I'm not saying you're saying "Clark can either be a starter or he can't", I'm just saying that he probably showed, by a fairly comfortable margin, enough to be on the 53 man roster for 2024.

And, I think I would be okay if for 2024 he's our dime back and back up at CB2. How about that Ouchie? Is that all of that fair/reasonable?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think there will be a second wave of Cardinal signings maybe plug a couple of holes with 2nd tier players. Cards have about $30 M available in cap space and the rookie draft pool will take up about $18M so they basically have about $10 to $14 M available. They will want to hold some for injury replacements during the season and maybe roll the rest over into next year. I could be wrong but I don't see anything big happening.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm just saying that he probably showed, by a fairly comfortable margin, enough to be on the 53 man roster for 2024.

I'm flabbergasted that people keep saying this after the coaching staff literally benched him for like the last two thirds of the season and did everything possible to keep him off the field.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Our impact player in the wide receiver room is going to be gotten in the draft here in simple. There are two guys on the street. They can help the room again let’s see where it’s at. If he doesn’t sign anybody at all I’ll be right there with you.
This statement could be made in any of the years the Cards fail to do what they need to do in FA. That's most years. Keeping the powder dry, amirite?
no we dont know yet. If all we do is draft MHJ/Odunze/Nabers and not a single other WR or sign a competent vet. I’ll be right there with you.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you expect the Cards to spend another $10-15 million in cap space on free agents over the next four months? On whom?
I don’t know exactly what to expect. But I certainly wouldn’t want him spending that much on the WRs that are left on the market. Maybe we wil get lucky and some kind of trade happens where we actually land a guy worth a poo. Either on D or O that carry’s a salary where that money is needed.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don’t know exactly what to expect. But I certainly wouldn’t want him spending that much on the WRs that are left on the market. Maybe we wil get lucky and some kind of trade happens where we actually land a guy worth a poo. Either on D or O that carry’s a salary where that money is needed.
So why are you reminding people that free agency just opened if you don't expect them to sign anyone?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I'm flabbergasted that people keep saying this after the coaching staff literally benched him for like the last two thirds of the season and did everything possible to keep him off the field.

You've got a point K9, but I'm trying to hedge my praise of Clark a little by saying "being on the 53 man roster for 2024".

As bad as was our 2023 defense, that's not a ringing endorsement, haha.

And to be honest with you, I have to wonder if it was partly a locker room issue as to why Clark was initially benched (and then eventually returned to the rotation).

I mean, I watched him play early in the season, and to my untrained eye, he didn't look that bad out there (and of course was a willing tackler).

But Starling Thomas on the other hand... teams were successfully targeting him.

I think we'd all agree that there was some stuff going on behind the scenes with the defensive player personnel rotations.

Anyway, I don't want to belabor the point and will give you the last word if you'd like. Hope you have a great week!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So why are you reminding people that free agency just opened if you don't expect them to sign anyone?
I don’t know what to expect. Pure and simple. But it’s not even close to the off seasonbBeing done. I’m not a big fan of being overdramatic. I’ll look at the final product come July when we’re getting ready to head to training camp if I don’t like what I see ill bitch then. ;)

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Our impact player in the wide receiver room is going to be gotten in the draft here in simple. There are two guys on the street. They can help the room again let’s see where it’s at. If he doesn’t sign anybody at all I’ll be right there with you.

no we dont know yet. If all we do is draft MHJ/Odunze/Nabers and not a single other WR or sign a competent vet. I’ll be right there with you.

Agree. I think we'll all be concerned if we go into the season with a rookie WR1, the hope that Wilson can develop into a WR2, and with the with lion-hearted but still physically out-matched Greg Dortch at WR3

I have to admit I'm a little wary of doubting Greg Dortch though. Hasn't worked out too good for others, haha.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And to be honest with you, I have to wonder if it was partly a locker room issue as to why Clark was initially benched (and then eventually returned to the rotation).

We can let this be the last word, but Clark did not eventually return to the rotation. He played two games in weeks 12 and 13 where he played a bunch of snaps (100% against Pittsburgh), and then didn't play a defensive snap in the last four games.

I think it's very possible that Clark gets pushed off the roster in training camp if the Cards bring in another warm body and draft a couple prospects.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson