Too early to talk free agency?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Monti is not a big spender in free agency. I think there are certain types of players that he and Gannon want that fit into their scheme and they are not the big name players. He also appears to want to build through he draft. Most on this board kind of knew what players Keim was after but Monti is very close lipped on his wants and needs. Very hard to predict their direction in free agency. :shrug:
Well, if he repeats last FA he's not very bright, so here's hoping it was all a precautionary cap maneuver.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Monti is not a big spender in free agency. I think there are certain types of players that he and Gannon want that fit into their scheme and they are not the big name players. He also appears to want to build through he draft. Most on this board kind of knew what players Keim was after but Monti is very close lipped on his wants and needs. Very hard to predict their direction in free agency. :shrug:
Limiting yourself that way is a great way to get fired. Hope you are wrong.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Limiting yourself that way is a great way to get fired. Hope you are wrong.
I want to see a serious “ get after it” this off season. I pray we don’t totally depend on the draft.I don’t expect we are going to sign 4-5 big name free agents, but we have to do more than this year.
I would also like to believe the scouting department has a pretty good idea of what group of players will be available when we are on the clock.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Why would we want to be predictable heading into free agency?

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we didn’t totally understand Monti’s plan I believe most of us accepted it and was willing to see how things unfolded. We understood the massive amount of holes there were to fill on this roster and it wasn’t going to be fixed in one year. Add to that a new and very young staff and any level headed fan would take a wait and see approach.

It’s hard to say a 3-10 team is “doing okay” but somehow it feels that way to me. It appears this staff is competent. The free agents signed have shown value and the draft seems to be pretty good. We have been competitive for some stretches at time.

But 2024 is coming up and we are going to expect bigger steps. I’ll go as far as saying most of us expect enough improvements to this roster to compete for a playoff spot next year. All you have to do for that is play .500 ball. That is not unfair expectations.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While it's too early to talk about other teams FAs, it's not too early to talk about who the Cardinals should re-sign from their own roster before the FA period opens.

Who should the Cardinals try to sign before FA from their list of soon to be FAs???

WR Marquis Brown
CB Antonio Hamilton
RT Elijah Wilkinson
LB Josh Woods
NT Leki Fotu
LB Zeke Turner
TE Geoff Swaim
C/G Trystan Colon
DE Carlos Watkins
NT Kevin Strong
CB Rashad Fenton
DE LJ Collier
LB Krys Barnes
LB Jesse Luketa
WR Greg Dortch
DE Jonathan Ledbetter
P Blake Gillikin
RB Marlon Mack
LS Aaron Brewer

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While it's too early to talk about other teams FAs, it's not too early to talk about who the Cardinals should re-sign from their own roster before the FA period opens.

Who should the Cardinals try to sign before FA from their list of soon to be FAs???

WR Marquis Brown
CB Antonio Hamilton
RT Elijah Wilkinson
LB Josh Woods
NT Leki Fotu
LB Zeke Turner
TE Geoff Swaim
C/G Trystan Colon
DE Carlos Watkins
NT Kevin Strong
CB Rashad Fenton
DE LJ Collier
LB Krys Barnes
LB Jesse Luketa
WR Greg Dortch
DE Jonathan Ledbetter
P Blake Gillikin
RB Marlon Mack
LS Aaron Brewer

So I'm going with the following list of guys to Re-Sign before FA hits:

LB Josh Woods
NT Leki Fotu
TE Geoff Swaim
DE Carlos Watkins
NT Kevin Strong
WR Greg Dortch
DE Jonathan Ledbetter
P Blake Gillikin
RB Marlon Mack
LS Aaron Brewer

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

WR Marquis Brown
CB Antonio Hamilton
RT Elijah Wilkinson
LB Josh Woods
NT Leki Fotu
LB Zeke Turner
TE Geoff Swaim
C/G Trystan Colon
DE Carlos Watkins
NT Kevin Strong
CB Rashad Fenton
DE LJ Collier
LB Krys Barnes
LB Jesse Luketa
WR Greg Dortch
DE Jonathan Ledbetter
P Blake Gillikin
RB Marlon Mack
LS Aaron Brewer
Woof, not much there.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

WR Marquis Brown
CB Antonio Hamilton
RT Elijah Wilkinson
LB Josh Woods
NT Leki Fotu
LB Zeke Turner
TE Geoff Swaim
C/G Trystan Colon
DE Carlos Watkins
NT Kevin Strong
CB Rashad Fenton
DE LJ Collier
LB Krys Barnes
LB Jesse Luketa
WR Greg Dortch
DE Jonathan Ledbetter
P Blake Gillikin
RB Marlon Mack
LS Aaron Brewer
Hamilton
Woods
Swaim
Strong
Collier
Luteka
Dortch
Gillikin
Brewer

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Resign some guys plus 11 draft picks (so far) who knows?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
So I'm going with the following list of guys to Re-Sign before FA hits:

LB Josh Woods
NT Leki Fotu
TE Geoff Swaim
DE Carlos Watkins
NT Kevin Strong
WR Greg Dortch
DE Jonathan Ledbetter
P Blake Gillikin
RB Marlon Mack
LS Aaron Brewer
Only ones I would prioritize early in this list is Ledbetter, Dortch and Fotu. None of Them Big players, But solid rotational players. Would be Very happy with Dortch as 4th WR, ledbetter as 3rd DE and Fotu as 2nd NT

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
LB Josh Woods
NT Leki Fotu

C/G Trystan Colon

NT Kevin Strong

WR Greg Dortch
DE Jonathan Ledbetter
P Blake Gillikin

LS Aaron Brewer

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every one of these guys except for Hollywood will be available deep into free agency. No rush on any of them unless they want to sign another one-year, $1 million contract and renew their lease.

I'm sure some of them will be available late and for low price contracts.

However I do really like Josh Woods paired with Kyzir White at ILB. So I would definitely try and lock up Woods prior to FA opening up. Might as well lock up your special teamers (Gillikin, Brewer) while you can so that is one less thing to worry about. I also like Carlos Watkins as a rotational guy at DE even though we didn't get to see much of him due to the biceps injury.

The others that I have listed to keep (Fotu, Swaim, Strong, Ledbetter, Dorch, Mack) I wouldn't lose sleep over if they got picked up by another team but I would still try and sign them to start filling out the 90 man roster.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

However I do really like Josh Woods paired with Kyzir White at ILB. So I would definitely try and lock up Woods prior to FA opening up. Might as well lock up your special teamers (Gillikin, Brewer) while you can so that is one less thing to worry about. I also like Carlos Watkins as a rotational guy at DE even though we didn't get to see much of him due to the biceps injury.

The others that I have listed to keep (Fotu, Swaim, Strong, Ledbetter, Dorch, Mack) I wouldn't lose sleep over if they got picked up by another team but I would still try and sign them to start filling out the 90 man roster.
Every name you mention is replacement-level or worse. If they're willing to sign the 1-year, $1 million deal right now, I'm all for it. I wouldn't waste 15 minutes negotiating with any of these guys.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every name you mention is replacement-level or worse. If they're willing to sign the 1-year, $1 million deal right now, I'm all for it. I wouldn't waste 15 minutes negotiating with any of these guys.

Yeah I agree with that for everyone except Woods. I would lock him up and I don't think it would cost that much money. Maybe $3-4M per year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with that for everyone except Woods. I would lock him up and I don't think it would cost that much money. Maybe $3-4M per year.
I guess. Seems like a lot for a guy who only plays 60% of the defensive downs, doesn't make plays, and doesn't play special teams (only 28 special teams snaps this year). Are you gonna pay him more than Dennis Gardeck ($2.4 million) and James Conner ($3.7 million)?

I guess you're hedging the risk that the third-round draft choice you invest at the position comes along slowly or Owen Pappoe is only a special teams player.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Leki has proven he only produces in a contract year...and not much at that...might be the system...so I would keep him in a contract year and only offer him a 1 season deal...with hollow promises that a longer deal will happen if he continues to show growth.
We all like Dortch...but I think it's Dortch or Hollywood as I think they are looking to get bigger at WR and Moore is still under contract. Hollywood is a bit more talented but Greg is more reliable and more elusive... kinda think a healthy Wilson and a draft pick can hold down the outside with Dortch in the slot and Rondale doing double duty as WR4 and change of pace RB... Hollywood ain't gonna wanna drop to slot receiver imo...guess we will see how much input kyler has with how it plays out.