My Theory of Free Agency

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I like the idea of impact players in each unit possible. The Card will keep Baker at safety and that’s your leader. McBride can dominate TEs. Conner leads the RBs. White will return at ILB. So they need a key CB, WR, OL and 2 guys at DL. The WR is likely a sure thing in the draft. There are also good OL and CB targets in the draft. CB is a bit of a concern as you’d have a very inexperienced unit. So I’d focus DL in free agency. I think there are major questions about the Edges in the draft. Inside guys look okay, but maybe not special. So get the best Edge at any cost. Then compare the best CB with the best IDL you can sign. Take the strongest one. It’s fine to spend remaining dollars on depth guys at WR, blocking TE, a fourth corner and ILBs. The later could be returnees. I don’t like just filling holes in free agency. I want statement players that show a commitment to win.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I like the idea of impact players in each unit possible. The Card will keep Baker at safety and that’s your leader. McBride can dominate TEs. Conner leads the RBs. White will return at ILB. So they need a key CB, WR, OL and 2 guys at DL. The WR is likely a sure thing in the draft. There are also good OL and CB targets in the draft. CB is a bit of a concern as you’d have a very inexperienced unit. So I’d focus DL in free agency. I think there are major questions about the Edges in the draft. Inside guys look okay, but maybe not special. So get the best Edge at any cost. Then compare the best CB with the best IDL you can sign. Take the strongest one. It’s fine to spend remaining dollars on depth guys at WR, blocking TE, a fourth corner and ILBs. The later could be returnees. I don’t like just filling holes in free agency. I want statement players that show a commitment to win.
IMO .. the news about Johnny Newton having Lis Franc opens possibilities for DT at 27... Then OT at 35
Harrison
Murphy/Newton
Kingsley/Guyton/Mims

If league personnel guys are buying the media hype of Sweat being a first rounder that really helps an OT to fall to 35... Especially if Harrison,Odunze,Nabers go 4-5-6 because fomo will cause a wr run in the early teens

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

???

We're a rebuilding team, and I'll take four/five FAs at $5m apiece per annum over one at $20 or 25m.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score

Assuming we are discussing because of the above comments by monti. So yes- in an ideal world, I would LOVE to build through the draft. You have better player buy in, cheaper contracts/more cap, and the guys become real home grown heroes.

That said I think there are 2 scenarios that you suck it up and pay the price:

-you are on the verge of a championship team, ala rams- you sign key free agents and make trades to make the push for the big game. You obviously pay a price, but that price is often necessary for the last push.

- you are so devoid of talent in one area that the entire unit can not comepnsate and getting a star player can quickly elevate the entire unit - I.e. cardinals defensive line, cardinals wr unit.

I am not a fan of filling every hole we have in free agency keim style. That’s how you get a half baked product. I am worried that monti is not going to be aggressive though and try to attain the few/key impact players that could be huge for the entire team.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I think DL followed by LG and CB should be the priorities in FA. We could use a vet in all those spots, and I think there are some good options.

Danielle Hunter is THE best FA on the market, and if we are looking for pass rush we can't do any better. He will cost 25 million most likely, but hes only 30 and should have 3-4 good years left. I would give him a big offer, but wont be surprised if he wants to go to a SB contender.

Plan B and C at DL/Edge would be Yannick Ngakoue and AJ Epinesa

CB - Kendall Fuller plan A, Sneed plan B, Kenny Moore plan C

LG - Hunt plan A, Risner plan B, Zeitler plan C

Reactions: PJ1

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
I still feel we flip a mid draft pick for Haason Reddick
I would be okay with this but Reddick will need help to flourish. If we don’t add a stout DL to help, it will be fairly easy to take Reddick out of the game plan. Maybe bring CC back for another year or two so he can retire a Cardinal. Pick up someone to learn behind him.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’d focus DL in free agency. I think there are major questions about the Edges in the draft. Inside guys look okay, but maybe not special. So get the best Edge at any cost. Then compare the best CB with the best IDL you can sign. Take the strongest one.

Who are you thinking for Edge in FA?

If the Cardinals do go with a high priced Edge Rusher then i'm thinking someone like a Danielle Hunter type who played for JG when he coached in Minn. My guess is that Hunter would likely get a contract similar to what Montez Sweat got from Chicago recently. So somewhere around $25M+ per year.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I understand the theory to fill several holes instead of trying for 2-3 key people. Normally I might be inclined to consider that approach. In my mind the Cards have a lack of leading by example at too many positions. I have watched this team suffer from undervaluing leadership for too many years. They’ve let people like Campbell, Centers and Proehl leave without adequate replacements. They lack leadership on both lines, WR and CB. You can’t get that many quality leaders but the lines are critical as they are so physically demanding. Fortunately the draft is deep and the Cards have picks. I just want people on the field asking for accountability. I think the D-Line is a FA must. If a good WR weapon was affordable that would be huge for Murray despite the rich draft. A solid veteran guard would help with line calls as well as identifying blitzes & stunts. I want immediate impact.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think we should focus on building through the draft and keeping our powder dry. Don’t get hung up on overspending for Josh Allen (EDGE) when it could prevent you from signing a Josh Allen-TYPE TBD somewhere down the road.

Don’t forget completing the roster in the third wave of free agency, post June 1 cuts, and guys signed off the street once the season starts.

Your Elijah Higgins and Starling Thomas III types. Y’know, core players.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Very few existing players will need high dollar contracts to retain. Players drafted in 2023-26 will be comparatively low dollar acquisitions. So cap room should not be an issue for 3-4 year contracts.