Too early to talk free agency?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are all wrapped up in winning/ losing and draft position. However, free agency is the next big thing and helps shape what the organization might be targeting.

I’m going to be the first to tell you I very limited on how the cap works. All I really know is you can only spend so much on players salary but it certainly seems many teams spend more one way or another. So with that disclaimer here’s my thoughts.

First, I do not want to see us turn this rebuild into a 3 or 4 year plan. I feel with some shrewd free agents signings and a good draft we may not be quite ready to compete for a Super Bowl but we could make the playoffs and have a say who does.

I think we need to build a devastating offense now. Only two of Kyler’s completions yesterday went to a WR. Think about that. I think that’s where we need to start.

Whatever money we would have to spend on Brown should go elsewhere to a big Wr. I know, I know, MAYBE we can draft MHJ. Even if we do, that’s not enough. Wilson MAY blossom but his availability has been and will continue to be a concern. So:
1. Go after Michael Pittman. Suprisingly he is not ranked as the top Wr in free agency. He’s 26, big and a great downfield blocker. Yes he will cost some money. But adding him AND drafting MHJ would create HUGE problems for our opponents. Pittman, MHJ, McBride could dominate. Sprinkle in Dortch and Moore and we’re good.
2. C/G Connor Williams. He would solidify either the guard or center position while moving a current player to our depth.
3. I think RB Michael Carter is a F/A. I see a guy that has a spark and a great fit and rounds out this offense. He needs to stay.

If we lose out on the MHJ derby we could trade down and still get a damn good wr like Nabers or Odunze.

I know there’s many of you out there who understand the cap. Is this such an outlandish plan? Is is feasible consider our remaining unrestricted F/A on our roster and the rookie pool.

I don’t know what would be left to add to the defense except the draft.

Last edited:

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Houston has proved that a good draft, coupled with a competent coaching staff/front office, can make a team very competitive in one offseason.
In free agency, we need to at least address both lines (OG and DE/DT), along with a legit CB to pair with our young guys. Then draft should be BPA at any position.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Houston has proved that a good draft, coupled with a competent coaching staff/front office, can make a team very competitive in one offseason.
In free agency, we need to at least address both lines (OG and DE/DT), along with a legit CB to pair with our young guys. Then draft should be BPA at any position.
And competent ownership…

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
All I know is that I still hate that FA starts before the draft. I still think the draft should be first. Let the teams pick their players and then fill out the remaining holes in their rosters. You can't control who's available when you're picking but you have control on who you want to target in FA.

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
As I have written previously, the free agents that I would like the Cardinals sign are:
1. Conner Williams, OLG 6'5" 312, only 26; to become the leader of the OL.
2. Christian Wilkins, DT 6'4" 310, only 28; to become the leader of the DL.
3. Michael Davis, CB 6'2" 195 only 29: need an experienced CB
Draft Fashanu or Alt to give the Cardinals a great OL.
Several extremely good WRs, Rome Odunze, Malik Nabers available with the 2nd 1st round pick and take Tony Franklin with the 2nd round pick. Great Offense.
Trade or release Humphries (post June).
Don't resign Brown.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We are all wrapped up in winning/ losing and draft position. However, free agency is the next big thing and helps shape what the organization might be targeting.

I’m going to be the first to tell you I very limited on how the cap works. All I really know is you can only spend so much on players salary but it certainly seems many teams spend more one way or another. So with that disclaimer here’s my thoughts.

First, I do not want to see us turn this rebuild into a 3 or 4 year plan. I feel with some shrewd free agents signings and a good draft we may not be quite ready to compete for a Super Bowl but we could make the playoffs and have a say who does.

I think we need to build a devastating offense now. Only two of Kyler’s completions yesterday went to a WR. Think about that. I think that’s where we need to start.

Whatever money we would have to spend on Brown should go elsewhere to a big Wr. I know, I know, MAYBE we can draft MHJ. Even if we do, that’s not enough. Wilson MAY blossom but his availability has been and will continue to be a concern. So:
1. Go after Michael Pittman. Suprisingly he is not ranked as the top Wr in free agency. He’s 26, big and a great downfield blocker. Yes he will cost some money. But adding him AND drafting MHJ would create HUGE problems for our opponents. Pittman, MHJ, McBride could dominate. Sprinkle in Dortch and Moore and we’re good.
2. C/G Connor Williams. He would solidify either the guard or center position while moving a current player to our depth.
3. I think RB Michael Carter is a F/A. I see a guy that has a spark and a great fit and rounds out this offense. He needs to stay.

If we lose out on the MHJ derby we could trade down and still get a damn good wr like Nabers or Odunze.

I know there’s many of you out there who understand the cap. Is this such an outlandish plan? Is is feasible consider our remaining unrestricted F/A on our roster and the rookie pool.

I don’t know what would be left to add to the defense except the draft.
My guess is Pittman is either re-signed by Indy or franchised.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
@slanidrac16

Outside of projecting teams re-signing their own players and franchise tags, I do believe you highlight two players worth top dollar at positions of need for AZ.

WRs - Michael Pittman and Mike Evans would both be great for Kyler.

OL - Conner Williams is the best C available and worth a large contract if you are good with him being dinged up this year.

DT - Christian Wilkins and Chris Jones are both premium players inside at a huge need area

EDGE - Josh Allen, Brian Burns and Chase Young are all premium EDGE guys under 28.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He’s dead.

The son is probably worse. Got suckered in by dime-store evangelist Jack Easterby.

My guess is Pittman is either re-signed by Indy or franchised.

I said the same thing and was met with "yeah, but still..."

Cards will probably have the top WR in free agency this year. I like to filter this list by position and then sort on snap percentage. Can you get Gabe Davis on a cheap deal? Would you want to?

I don't really like any of these guys who are 30+.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The son is probably worse. Got suckered in by dime-store evangelist Jack Easterby.

I said the same thing and was met with "yeah, but still..."

Cards will probably have the top WR in free agency this year. I like to filter this list by position and then sort on snap percentage. Can you get Gabe Davis on a cheap deal? Would you want to?

I don't really like any of these guys who are 30+.
I think Mike Evans works for the Cardinals if they could get him. He is the right type of WR to pair with Kyler. Especially if the Cardinals are drafting outside of the top 3 picks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I do wonder if the Cardinals will remain a base 3-4 squad on defense.
Oof. You just drafted Ojulari. We really play a Bear front (5-man) with 1 LB and 5 DBs behind. It's not that different from the James Bettcher defenses.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think Mike Evans works for the Cardinals if they could get him. He is the right type of WR to pair with Kyler. Especially if the Cardinals are drafting outside of the top 3 picks.

Maybe, but isn't that a sugar rush? Mike Evans probably doesn't play much (if at all) on the Cards next playoff team.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to buy in on Mike Evans. His contract would be coming to an end when MHJ would be looking for a 2nd contract.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@slanidrac16

Outside of projecting teams re-signing their own players and franchise tags, I do believe you highlight two players worth top dollar at positions of need for AZ.

WRs - Michael Pittman and Mike Evans would both be great for Kyler.

OL - Conner Williams is the best C available and worth a large contract if you are good with him being dinged up this year.

DT - Christian Wilkins and Chris Jones are both premium players inside at a huge need area

EDGE - Josh Allen, Brian Burns and Chase Young are all premium EDGE guys under 28.
I like all the players named but I don't know how the cap plays in on them.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe, but isn't that a sugar rush? Mike Evans probably doesn't play much (if at all) on the Cards next playoff team.
I think you may have to figure out how to fill in the gaps with this roster as you draft the players you want on the roster long term.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Oof. You just drafted Ojulari. We really play a Bear front (5-man) with 1 LB and 5 DBs behind. It's not that different from the James Bettcher defenses.
Reddick played in the 4-3 version of Gannon's defense so I don't believe Ojulari would be put out. I also don't believe the Cardinals have any defensive players they like who would be hurt by the transition.