Too early to talk free agency?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with that for everyone except Woods. I would lock him up and I don't think it would cost that much money. Maybe $3-4M per year.
I think watching Simmons and Collins and Vallejo play ILB has skewed your perspective a bit. Woods is just a replacement level, instinctive ILB. He looks a lot better because he is in a scheme that lets him be that.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think watching Simmons and Collins and Vallejo play ILB has skewed your perspective a bit. Woods is just a replacement level, instinctive ILB. He looks a lot better because he is in a scheme that lets him be that.

I would agree with you if you were talking about Barnes. IMO Barnes would be considered a replacement level player at ILB. The drop off in play when Barnes filled in for an injured Woods was easily noticeable. However when White and Woods were playing together this defense was playing strong. I have zero issues with bringing back Woods as a starter.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess. Seems like a lot for a guy who only plays 60% of the defensive downs, doesn't make plays, and doesn't play special teams (only 28 special teams snaps this year). Are you gonna pay him more than Dennis Gardeck ($2.4 million) and James Conner ($3.7 million)?

I thought he played 76% of the snaps on defense? Where are you seeing 60%?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hollywood is a bit more talented but Greg is more reliable and more elusive...
Dortch seems to be a more versatile route runner and have much better hands - but Brown ran a 4.27 40 at his pro day while Dortch ran 4.59 at the Combine. I get your point about only keeping one small WR, but they aside from their stature they are not really comparable or interchangeable players - they will always have different roles.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I guess. Seems like a lot for a guy who only plays 60% of the defensive downs, doesn't make plays, and doesn't play special teams (only 28 special teams snaps this year). Are you gonna pay him more than Dennis Gardeck ($2.4 million) and James Conner ($3.7 million)?

I guess you're hedging the risk that the third-round draft choice you invest at the position comes along slowly or Owen Pappoe is only a special teams player.
You have to fill out a depth chart.

Guys like Woods have been ok players. When I watch the Cardinals, the majority of the roster is fine, it's just lacking real difference makers.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
pretty sure that measure is "effective cap space" plus some rollover from this season

looking at who makes it up -- there arent really any players with out of bounds contracts where the team could generate space -- with one exception:

Budda has a $14mm salary next year -- the last year of his deal.

Also - $14mm of dead money in 2024 that clears finally -- JJ Watt, Ertz and Hudson mostly. Thats useful as thats $14mm in 2025 space the team can use

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
pretty sure that measure is "effective cap space" plus some rollover from this season

looking at who makes it up -- there arent really any players with out of bounds contracts where the team could generate space -- with one exception:

Budda has a $14mm salary next year -- the last year of his deal.

Also - $14mm of dead money in 2024 that clears finally -- JJ Watt, Ertz and Hudson mostly. Thats useful as thats $14mm in 2025 space the team can use
Cards can extend Hump (with voidable years as needed) and restructure Kyler to get additional room.

That said, unless Kyler goes hog wild, I wouldn’t jump into pushing too much money into the middle of the table.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Cards can extend Hump (with voidable years as needed) and restructure Kyler to get additional room.

That said, unless Kyler goes hog wild, I wouldn’t jump into pushing too much money into the middle of the table.
yeah

but it sure seems like they already have plenty of room to significantly upgrade the roster and still have plenty of flexibility going forward

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
yeah

but it sure seems like they already have plenty of room to significantly upgrade the roster and still have plenty of flexibility going forward
Dunno about significantly. Lots of teams have cap space and there are few quality free agents likely to reach the market.

But I hope we sign more lively bodies than we did last year.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
@slanidrac16

Outside of projecting teams re-signing their own players and franchise tags, I do believe you highlight two players worth top dollar at positions of need for AZ.

WRs - Michael Pittman and Mike Evans would both be great for Kyler.

OL - Conner Williams is the best C available and worth a large contract if you are good with him being dinged up this year.

DT - Christian Wilkins and Chris Jones are both premium players inside at a huge need area

EDGE - Josh Allen, Brian Burns and Chase Young are all premium EDGE guys under 28.
Oh Lord if you can hear my prayer........

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
One year left on his contract.

I watch the Chargers and this guy has a few good plays in games, and then drifts through the majority of the game. He is the definition of the word filler. Too pricey for that kind of guy for the Cardinals. The guy is a hoot off the field. He does great social media stuff. He just isn't a free agent I want the Cardinals to have.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The best case scenario would be something like this.

DL Christian Wilkins
EDGE Josh Allen
WR DPJ
TE Harrison Bryant
DL Javon Kinlaw

along with maybe a few replacement level CBs and LGs.

DPJ, Kinlaw and Bryant shouldn't cost much which offsets Wilkins and Alleng who likely cost a bunch.
Chopper, I'm sorry. Who is DPJ? Not putting it together.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Only ones I would prioritize early in this list is Ledbetter, Dortch and Fotu. None of Them Big players, But solid rotational players. Would be Very happy with Dortch as 4th WR, ledbetter as 3rd DE and Fotu as 2nd NT
I would add Antonio to that list. I was never huge on him prior to this year, but he has played well in spots and shown a toughness I didn't know he had. I would be very happy with him as part of the secondary room for depth.