Too early to talk free agency?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Christian Wilkins would a huge but expensive get. The question is whether to put a lot of resources into one player, albeit a very good one. Probably not at this point. We aren't one player from a Super Bowl.

I could see 2 or 3 middle income free agents and a lot more emphasis on the draft. That is the preferable approach with a capable young staff imo.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Christian Wilkins would a huge but expensive get. The question is whether to put a lot of resources into one player, albeit a very good one. Probably not at this point. We aren't one player from a Super Bowl.

I could see 2 or 3 middle income free agents and a lot more emphasis on the draft. That is the preferable approach with a capable young staff imo.
The Cardinals lack top end talent across almost every position group. You have to add impact players somehow and you can't count on Monti to draft them until he shows he can.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think you may have to figure out how to fill in the gaps with this roster as you draft the players you want on the roster long term.
Mike Evans isn't really a gap-filler, though. He's gonna get $20 million/year, I'm guessing.

Tampa has just under $11 million less effective cap space than we do next year. No reason they can't hang on to Evans if they want to.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Mike Evans isn't really a gap-filler, though. He's gonna get $20 million/year, I'm guessing.

Tampa has just under $11 million less effective cap space than we do next year. No reason they can't hang on to Evans if they want to.
I think he told them he would not re-sign if they didn't give him an extension. I think he gets 2 years 40 mil at the top end. That fits into an AZ plan if they decide to add a top WR.

That said...it is probably more likely the Cardinals target Donovan Peoples-Jones, Gabe Davis, Van Jefferson, Noah Brown, and DJ Chark type WRs.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think he told them he would not re-sign if they didn't give him an extension. I think he gets 2 years 40 mil at the top end. That fits into an AZ plan if they decide to add a top WR.

That said...it is probably more likely the Cardinals target Donovan Peoples-Jones, Gabe Davis, Van Jefferson, Noah Brown, and DJ Chark type WRs.
Exactly!! Seeing as Mike Iupati may be your best free agent signing ever, I think when it comes to the Cards and free agency, start at the bottom of the barrel and work your way up. Not the top down.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The best case scenario would be something like this.

DL Christian Wilkins
EDGE Josh Allen
WR DPJ
TE Harrison Bryant
DL Javon Kinlaw

along with maybe a few replacement level CBs and LGs.

DPJ, Kinlaw and Bryant shouldn't cost much which offsets Wilkins and Alleng who likely cost a bunch.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

DL Christian Wilkins
EDGE Josh Allen
WR DPJ
TE Harrison Bryant
DL Javon Kinlaw

DPJ, Kinlaw and Bryant shouldn't cost much which offsets Wilkins and Alleng who likely cost a bunch.
I think you need to get an LG, which also won't cost much. I think you need an answer there beyond "hope Big Mo figures it out".

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think you need to get an LG, which also won't cost much. I think you need an answer there beyond "hope Big Mo figures it out".
This is a spot I could see Monti drafting a guy in round 2 or 3. Especially if he goes away from it in round 1.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This is a spot I could see Monti drafting a guy in round 2 or 3. Especially if he goes away from it in round 1.
most of the sources I have seen say Froholdt is a guard playing Center... so what is we draft Van Pran and move Frodo to LG...and hope Jon Gaines has developed enough to back up both?

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We need big.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
We also need a #1 CB. It is possible we could get one in the draft, but it is asking a lot to expect a rookie to be your #1 CB. Top end free agent CB are expensive.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

DL Christian Wilkins
EDGE Josh Allen
WR DPJ
TE Harrison Bryant
DL Javon Kinlaw

This would be about what I would want.

Maybe Calvin Ridley instead of DPJ. Josh Allen might be rich and I think the current edge group would be more effective with a true pocket pusher like Christian Wilkins.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
All I know is that I still hate that FA starts before the draft. I still think the draft should be first. Let the teams pick their players and then fill out the remaining holes in their rosters. You can't control who's available when you're picking but you have control on who you want to target in FA.
The draft used to be first.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JUSTIN MADUBUIKE would be a great addition but i dont think the Ravens will let him test the free agency

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We also need a #1 CB. It is possible we could get one in the draft, but it is asking a lot to expect a rookie to be your #1 CB. Top end free agent CB are expensive.
In my list of priorities with this roster and the way defense is now played, I am more worried about the offense and the defensive front than the secondary. Shell coverage is more about limiting big plays yac. Don't need great CBs for that, just not Marco Wilson.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Here’s the one I posted. Numbers could move downward depending on contract structure.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Monti is not a big spender in free agency. I think there are certain types of players that he and Gannon want that fit into their scheme and they are not the big name players. He also appears to want to build through he draft. Most on this board kind of knew what players Keim was after but Monti is very close lipped on his wants and needs. Very hard to predict their direction in free agency. :shrug: