¡Excelente Cardinals!

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Cards find victory in packed Azteca Stadium

Chris Hawley
Republic Mexico City Bureau
Oct. 3, 2005 12:00 AM

MEXICO CITY - Mexico gave the Arizona Cardinals a reception on Sunday like they have never gotten at home, as 103,467 hollering, whistling football fans watched the Cardinals trounce the San Francisco 49ers 31-14 in the NFL's first regular-season game outside the United States.

It was a spectacle with flashes of nationalism, as Mexicans bellowed their national anthem, cheered Aztec dancers during the halftime show, and basked in the international television attention at Mexico City's packed Azteca Stadium.

"Think of all those Mexicans who have gone to the United States to work. Now we have one of your teams coming here," said Javier Rodríguez, a 28-year-old travel agent "It's a reversal, isn't it?"

The game smashed a 48-year-old record for the biggest crowd to watch a regular-season NFL game. It was a feat all the more impressive because of the two teams' lousy records.

In the stands, Cardinals jerseys were woefully outnumbered by 49ers jerseys, and the "home" team was booed as they entered the canyon-like stadium. The 49ers have had a following in Mexico dating from their glory days in the 1980s.

But the Mexican fans cheered good-naturedly at every big play, no matter whose it was. They booed Cardinals kicker Neil Rackers before every field goal, then erupted into cheers when he made it. And when Anquan Boldin scored in the fourth quarter, they thundered their approval.

Arizonans who made the trek to Mexico City called it a spectacle like nothing ever seen in Sun Devil Stadium.

"This is like the Super Bowl," said a wide-eyed Matthew Johnson of Tempe, as he and three friends wandered around the nosebleed seats, trying to find a place to sit.

The game was a gamble for the NFL, which is trying to win a share of Mexico's increasingly affluent sports fans. NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said he would like to see the league make such foreign events an annual requirement, with one team giving up a home game each year.

Other U.S. sports leagues have been making similar forays. In March, NASCAR's Busch Series held its first foreign race at the Hermanos Rodríguez Autodrome in Mexico City. The race attracted 94,229 fans, a remarkable turnout for a second-tier series that usually gets only 60,000 to 70,000 spectators at its events.

That same weekend, the LPGA held its first event in Mexico since 1975, the Mastercard Classic.

For Mexican football fans, the game was the recognition of a Mexican football tradition that goes back to 1896, when the first game was played in the eastern city of Jalapa.

"This makes us feel like we're part of the NFL," said Rodolfo Mendoza, 27, who wore a Cardinals jersey featuring the name of the team's Mexican player, Rolando Cantu.

Still, there were reminders everywhere that Mexico remains soccer territory.

Outside the stadium, souvenir booths were divided about equally between football gear and memorabilia featuring América, the soccer team that calls Azteca Stadium home.

And the Cards-49ers crowd burst into applause when the jumbotron flashed the results of the night's other big game: the under-17 world championship game between Mexico and Brazil in Lima, Peru.

The matchup had the flavor of an Olympic Games, from the reception at the U.S. ambassador's house on Saturday night to the halftime show featuring folk dancers, costumes and flag-waving.

At the end of the game, defensive end Bertrand Berry grabbed a Mexican flag and paraded it back and forth.

"Here we are, baby! We're coming back!" he yelled. And the crowd exploded in cheers.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/1003cardscene03.html

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So much for the "game isn't even going to sell out" crowd.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
dreamcastrocks said:
So much for the "game isn't even going to sell out" crowd.

How does it feel to watch the Cards play in front of 104,000 people? Great compared to our average crowd of 35,000. I think it even fired our players up. How about our player running around the stadium with the Mexican Flag.Great!

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cardinal 'fans' in Arizona should be ashamed. They had more people cheering for them in a foreign country than at their own home games!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were cheering at good football in general. I thought that this crowd was going to be pro-Cardinal. When McCown fumbled the ball on the first play, the crowd erupted. When Shipp fumbled and they scored, the crowd erupted again.

The crowd wasnt partisan IMO. It came to watch good football, and cheer for good football.

*Sidenote, did anyone hear the crowd chant "Ole" when McCown dodged a defender in the 2nd half. Hilarious.

RedForeman

Registered
Reaction score
stewdog1 said:
Cardinal 'fans' in Arizona should be ashamed. They had more people cheering for them in a foreign country than at their own home games!

I have to agree... No passion in this town.

seesred

Reaction score
I too was thrilled to see the football fans cheering good play on the field. Imagine if we had more than 40K who would just come out to see football, let alone cheer on this hard working group of players.

GBR

dmoney

Registered
Reaction score
RedForeman said:
I have to agree... No passion in this town.

The first time I went to trainining camp I couldn't believe the general lack of support for the Cardinals.....besides the diehards :D it was embarrassing to go to AZ and see more Donkey gear available than the Cardinals. I see enough of the Donkeys in CO. Its easy to root for a winning team but the tide will one day turn. I hope the Cards kick some major ass for the rest of the year.

Lastly, the Bidwells might not have had much football success but I commend them for all of their help and support of the communties :thumbup:. They are making a valid attempt to change things on the field....we only need to catch a couple of breaks.

If we can get by w/ the patchwork OL this year. 2006 is going to be very promising. Upgrade the OL, get a DL run plugger, and draft a stud TE and we will be a force :thumbup:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
stewdog1 said:
Do you go to the games? I do. When it's 110 degrees, I go. When the Cards are sucking hind tit, I go. When I've spent the entire week be harrassed by my fellow Arizona employees, I go. I'm not ashamed, I'm proud.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
earthsci said:
Do you go to the games? I do. When it's 110 degrees, I go. When the Cards are sucking hind tit, I go. When I've spent the entire week be harrassed by my fellow Arizona employees, I go. I'm not ashamed, I'm proud.

He wasn't talking about us earthsci. He was talking about an area with 4,000,000 people and only 25,000 supporting this football team. Arizona is not a very good sports town compared to eastern cities.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
He wasn't talking about us earthsci. He was talking about an area with 4,000,000 people and only 25,000 supporting this football team. Arizona is not a very good sports town compared to eastern cities.
oic :oops:

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
earthsci said:

Good on ya. I wasn't talking about you guys.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI the rumor in the bay area is they were giving away tickets in droves this weekend to get the crowd that big. Apparently radio stations and marketing organizations were doing lotteries and giveaways constantly because they felt it was really important to have a huge crowd so that the NFL would give them another game down the line.

Also there was a huge cheer early in the game followed by chants of OLE, it had nothing to do with the game they'd just announced that Mexico's under 17 Futbol team had won their match in some big tournament. I wondered at the time what they were cheering for.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
FYI the rumor in the bay area is they were giving away tickets in droves this weekend to get the crowd that big. Apparently radio stations and marketing organizations were doing lotteries and giveaways constantly because they felt it was really important to have a huge crowd so that the NFL would give them another game down the line.

That was expected. You knew whether they sold all the tickets or not the stadium was going to be full. I bet they gave close to 35K tickets away.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
"Think of all those Mexicans who have gone to the United States to work. Now we have one of your teams coming here," said Javier Rodríguez, a 28-year-old travel agent "It's a reversal, isn't it?"
Not exactly a good comparison in my mind.

At the end of the game, defensive end Bertrand Berry grabbed a Mexican flag and paraded it back and forth.

"Here we are, baby! We're coming back!" he yelled. And the crowd exploded in cheers.

Did Bidwill give up a game a year to Mexico every year. We're did he mean coming back.:confused:

Overall I think it was a huge success, hopefully Mexico votes for our players in Probowl voting. Kind of like China and Yao Ming. This might be Joshes only game, but he still leads all QB's in voting that would be great.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Zeno said:
That was expected. You knew whether they sold all the tickets or not the stadium was going to be full. I bet they gave close to 35K tickets away.

They had around 80,000 pre sold in Mexico and stated before the game it was common in Mexico to have large walk up crowds. I believe they stated the cheapest ticket was $25.00 Strange, but it made no difference how many attended when it came to how much the Cards would receive. That was stated on TV. Largest crowd to ever watch a NFL game live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn